Anything special about this SV?

• Thread starter frogman81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    esp
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jarmake

Frost Giant
Reaction score
Nope, nothing special about that sv. The guy seems to think that this is some alexi laiho custom guitar, which it isn't...

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Everyone seems to think their SV's are Laihos. This is just your average SV.

skewkus13

Reaction score
Looks like a standard SV to me, had this in urban camo. could only get 1200 for it.

Sermo Lupi

Reaction score
Can't really comment much on his claims to the guitars uniqueness, but if he is mistaken about the history of the guitar like the others are saying, then there is probably a couple of things going on here to cause the confusion. Firstly, I believe the first Laiho models were only available via ESPs custom shop. This might be one of those guitars given the guy's comments about it being one of the 'original ones' and the two pickups, etc. If it is, I'd imagine it is indeed rarer than the other models, and perhaps more valuable, too...no idea. Secondly, I believe there was a lawsuit (or the threat of one) that made ESP change the shape of the North America Laiho guitars only. I believe they lengthened the shorter horn on the V, whereas the seller is claiming this shape is very similar to Jackson's RR. Again, can't really comment, but it does look like the standard SV shape to me. So perhaps it's a pre-lawsuit shape, but it doesn't look like a completely custom shape to me, if that makes any sense. Therefore if this guitar has any uniqueness to it over a standard Laiho, I'd think that it'd just be that it was ordered 'off the shelf' from the ESP custom shop back in like, 2004 or 2005 before there was a more widely produced production model.

Bear in mind I'm not an expert on ESP guitars, but I do remember the transition period he's describing (I was looking at buying one of these back then, and scoured many an eBay listing, being a budget-conscious teenager). I do recall that they were hard to find at the time, that there wasn't a production model out yet, and that the few guitars available were advertised as 'Custom Shop'. But that's me working off my memory and not a spec sheet, for what it's worth. $4500 definitely seems steep to me, either way.

purpledc

Proud blacksheep
Reaction score
The only thing special about that SV is that I don't think it was available in the states for a number of years. The only SV I remember for the longest time was the urban camo version. But even if its a japan only model its not like they have been hard to get since the internet was invented.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Looks to be a standard SV, likely in an overseas only finish. If the story had any truth to it, the serial number would indicate where it came from. In that case, it would start with "K" for Kiso custom shop where they would have made a guitar for AL.

Latest posts