App to Memorize the Fretboard

• Thread starter CompleteThink
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

CompleteThink

Reaction score
I developed a free Android app to help memorize the notes on the fretboard called "Fretboard Learn". The app has a bunch of game modes which let the user practice matching the name of note to a position on the fretboard (identifying the highlighted note, finding note X on string Y, and finding all X notes on the neck). It's helped me a lot using it while I worked on it.

Try it out and let me know what you think (are there any features or options I should add?). Thanks.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fretboard.game.android&hl=en

gkEl0uF.png

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lokasenna

Reaction score
I was just looking for something like this the other day, since I'm not motivated enough to set with my guitar and learn the normal way.

CompleteThink

Reaction score
Yes - you can customize the tuning anything you want.

From the main menu select "Tuning" and then use the drop downs to set the open notes for each string.

guitarfreak1387

squirrel chaser
Reaction score
I like it so far.

Few things that I don't like.
1. The fret display, I feel needs to be enlarged a tad. Find myself getting wrong notes Cus it's hitting the next one over or before.

2. In find all mode it tends repeat the same note too often. Got find F every other round.

Not a bad app though. It's fun!!

Solodini

MORE RESTS!
Reaction score
I recommend adding an interval recognition function. "What note is this? [answer] What note is a major 6th above? Where is that note?"

CompleteThink

Reaction score
Thanks for the comment about the "find all" mode. I went back and reworked how the next note is determined. You should see a lot less repeats in the newest update (hope you're an expert on F now). Also new to this update is sound for guitar and bass. Might as well get in some ear training while you're playing.

BlaK-Argentina

Reaction score
This is awesome man I was just trying to find a "fun" way to memorize the fretboard and this app nails it. Thanks a bunch!!

CompleteThink

Reaction score
Latest update to the app adds an option for 7-String guitar.

From the main screen select the 'Type' drop down box. Set it to 7-String and your good to go.

Thanks for all the feedback!

Ferro

Reaction score
Well the app seems nice but remember it's way more important to memorize intervals over the fretboard. This gives you so much possibilities than anything else. Also try to memorize scales in two strings patterns.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Necrobump... Awesome app!

Maybe add an 8th string option?

Regardless... Looking at the FB totally different now... In less than 30 mins playing in this app... Seeing, reading and applying the patterns now.

Great job!!

Don

Reaction score
Absolutely great app dude, I'm really appreciating it. But could you extend it to 24 instead of just 22 frets? That would be totally awesome. Then it would be perfect. Thanks again!!!

')