Applying a Veneer to an Archtop...

• Thread starter JimF
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm thinking of modifying my Jackson JS32-7. Not a great guitar I know but I'll be swapping out the hardware for a hipshot bridge & tuners, and getting the fretboard replaced with ebony. I'd also like to add a veneer and go for an oiled finish. This didnt faze me too much until I realised the guitar had some complex radii on the top!

I dont have a vacuum bag, and planned to clamp & use weight bags. But after seeing the arch top I'm thinking Its a no-no.

I've seen someone who slices the veneer with a blade along the grain lines to help, but not sure how successful that would be.

Should I just hold out for a project flat topped guitar?

Heres a picture of the same body shape (albeit an 8 string) so show the cuuuuuurve.

012.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
I say keep the guitar as it is.
The efforts, the costs and the rate of failure are all of them way too high.

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
I fancy a project, the veneer should be less than $50, and if it goes wrong I can always strip it off and oil it, so I think its worth the risk. If it was a flat topped guitar I wouldnt have an issue.

Humbuck

Can't stop, won't stop
Reaction score
Veneer...you're never going to get it to work right on that top.

jarnozz

Let´s Get Wasted!
Reaction score
I've put a veneer on my ibanez rga8 wich is an archtop guitar as well. It worked because it was an uniform arch. on that arch? It wont turn out as good as you think. removing a fretboard is a very painfull job as well. if you really want to do those mods, go for it. I wouldn't. btw here is a picture of my rga:

t5znewx.jpg

cwhitey2

BlackendCrust Metal™
Reaction score
Yeah like everyone said I would pass on that idea.

Hywel

Reaction score
It sounds like a fun project but I think the veneer will be near impossible to get right on that carved top.

The fretboard replacement may not be too bad, but bear in mind you'll need all the tools etc. to trim, glue, inlay and fret the board (as well as all the fretwork afterwards). If you want it darker try dying it with leather dye such as Fiebings.

The Hipshot and tuners should be fairly easy and worthwhile. Check the bridge will cover the old mount and line up with the string through holes properly if you're going for a good looking finish.

Good luck! :yesway:

JimF

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry to clarify the fretboard will be taken care of by a pro. I'm pretty practical so the veneerification didn't seem too bad but the "whole load of rads & contours" looks to have put the brakes on that idea.

geoffstgermaine

Reaction score
With a vacuum bag you could definitely apply a veneer to that surface, but it would be tricky and would require careful cuts to make it lay flat. Without a vacuum bag I think it would be far more difficult to get a veneer on that looked good.

electriceye

Reaction score
With those curves/bevels, my money is that it would be a miserable fail if you tried. Nothing against you, but that's incredibly tricky. IF you used a paper-thin veneer and wet it....MAYBE you could. But I think the curved bevels would put that plan to a screeching halt.

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
I'd guess the "top" is a veneer. But without a vacuum bag you're beyond SOL, and even if you had one it'd take a lot of trial and error.

Ram150023

NutzKustoms
Reaction score
Too bad your not closer JimF...

Id help ya with refinishing your 7!!!

Trying to see if this kind of work takes off for me... if theres a market for custom finishing... time will tell!!

')