April 7th (Corelia/Haunted Shores-esq, Strat, Legion, SD2, shitloads of triplets)

• Thread starter C2Aye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Getting the bass and kick drum to agree in the same range is probably the most difficult aspect of any mix. There probably is a bit of frequency bleed, but I mean - what do they expect, that every instrument is going to have its own range?

I have noticed that your tracks seem to be really boomy in spots - probably a result of your master. I'd be careful around 50 hz. That's about the only real suggestion I have.

I don't know, a lot of people over on the Sneap forum seem to tell you what's wrong then give no suggestions as to how to fix it. It may seem like a dickish opinion of mine, but I think most of those people either have no idea what they're talking about and if they do, are just arses really.

I've not noticed any boominess really. The majority in the low end is at 60Hz (I have a high pass at 50Hz) for the kick's low, low end. That might contribute but I've never really noticed it like I said.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback! :yesway:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
I don't know, a lot of people over on the Sneap forum seem to tell you what's wrong then give no suggestions as to how to fix it. It may seem like a dickish opinion of mine, but I think most of those people either have no idea what they're talking about and if they do, are just arses really.

I've not noticed any boominess really. The majority in the low end is at 60Hz (I have a high pass at 50Hz) for the kick's low, low end. That might contribute but I've never really noticed it like I said.

Oh, and thanks for the feedback! :yesway:

I love everything you do man. Even your 1 hour competition stuff and not just your guitar playing because you did an electronic type track for one of those and it was amazing as well. Major talent you are. :yesway:

The only criticism I can give is in the bass guitar. your guitar tone is phenomenal, the drums are great IMO, but the bass seems almost too open in the background like if I didn't have monitors I'm not even sure I'd hear it. It doesn't ruin the track, but you can hear it and then again you can't. That probably makes no sense, I hear the bass, but the way it was recorded or EQ'd it almost sounds like it isn't supposed to be heard. :scratch: That doesn't warrant as much criticism as sneap was giving though. :lol:

[EDIT]
That probably made no sense :lol: Your track skye for instance the bass is really clear and doesn't seem as clear on this track

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I love everything you do man. Even your 1 hour competition stuff and not just your guitar playing because you did an electronic type track for one of those and it was amazing as well. Major talent you are. :yesway:

The only criticism I can give is in the bass guitar. your guitar tone is phenomenal, the drums are great IMO, but the bass seems almost too open in the background like if I didn't have monitors I'm not even sure I'd hear it. It doesn't ruin the track, but you can hear it and then again you can't. That probably makes no sense, I hear the bass, but the way it was recorded or EQ'd it almost sounds like it isn't supposed to be heard. :scratch: That doesn't warrant as much criticism as sneap was giving though. :lol:

[EDIT]
That probably made no sense :lol: Your track skye for instance the bass is really clear and doesn't seem as clear on this track

Easy explanation for that. I used a £500 bass for Skye, and actually all of Cassini and Isles EP. For this track, I used a £50 bass :lol:

The bass tone is different and more rounded so I guess it would be harder to make it out (and I didn't bother to change the bass mix :squint:). It's always my aim to make the bass guitar very loud and audible in mixes compared to how in a lot of metal mixes it gets put right into the background. Sorry if the bass didn't come through as clearly in this track, I didn't mean it, honest! :D

And thanks man, appreciate it! :wub:

flint757

Reaction score
Easy explanation for that. I used a £500 bass for Skye, and actually all of Cassini and Isles EP. For this track, I used a £50 bass :lol:

The bass tone is different and more rounded so I guess it would be harder to make it out (and I didn't bother to change the bass mix :squint:). It's always my aim to make the bass guitar very loud and audible in mixes compared to how in a lot of metal mixes it gets put right into the background. Sorry if the bass didn't come through as clearly in this track, I didn't mean it, honest! :D

And thanks man, appreciate it! :wub:

No problem it is still more than enjoyable :hbang:

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
The mix suits the music and is definitely one of the things that makes it uniquely yours, I wouldn't worry about it. It's weird listening to your album, and then say, Corelias or what not which has a more organic sound, but it really suits the style and that's all that matters.

Wouldn't worry about it dude, you still rock :wub:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
No problem it is still more than enjoyable :hbang:

Thanks dude :)

The mix suits the music and is definitely one of the things that makes it uniquely yours, I wouldn't worry about it. It's weird listening to your album, and then say, Corelias or what not which has a more organic sound, but it really suits the style and that's all that matters.

Wouldn't worry about it dude, you still rock :wub:

I love the mix on Corelia's album. If anything, if I could make my mixes sound more organic then I would take steps towards doing that. Not necessarily so that it sounds more like Corelia, but just more organic. Then again, I guess everything in my mix is artificial and computer produced :lol:

Anyhow, cheers dude. Before I release another album in the summer I'll be toiling over the mix some more. I managed to change between Cassini and Isles EP so I'll be trying to do the same :D

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
well, your mix sounds baws for someone who mixes without studio monitors.

Haha, cheers dude. Yeah, I told you how I listen to my mixes on speakers and then headphones to check if it sounds balanced and stuff! To be honest, not having monitors hasn't really set me back at all!

Antenna

Oh God Damnit!
Reaction score
To be honest, not having monitors hasn't really set me back at all!

I'll add on to this for anyone who wants to engineer but don't own monitors. This is a prime example that speakers can be a great tool, but not a necessary thing to have to get good pro-sounding mixes. I'll also add that though, I do own monitors, I do most of my mixing on iPod headphones. It just takes a developed ear!

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I'll add on to this for anyone who wants to engineer but don't own monitors. This is a prime example that speakers can be a great tool, but not a necessary thing to have to get good pro-sounding mixes. I'll also add that though, I do own monitors, I do most of my mixing on iPod headphones. It just takes a developed ear!

+1 :yesway:

Takes a lot of work too, and a lot of referencing other mixes to get the best idea of what sounds good to your ears!

flint757

Reaction score
+1 :yesway:

Takes a lot of work too, and a lot of referencing other mixes to get the best idea of what sounds good to your ears!

It can be more beneficial too since sometimes people ONLY use monitors and it happens to sound terrible through headphones for whatever reason and they are none the wiser. Moral of the story always reference. :)

Dude you are one of my favorite artists :wub:

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
It can be more beneficial too since sometimes people ONLY use monitors and it happens to sound terrible through headphones for whatever reason and they are none the wiser. Moral of the story always reference. :)

Dude you are one of my favorite artists :wub:

Thanks man, really kind of you to say that :wub:

')