April 7th (Corelia/Haunted Shores-esq, Strat, Legion, SD2, shitloads of triplets)

• Thread starter C2Aye
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Not really sure what that guy is talking about. I would love to be able to mix that well. Song is awesome dude, and the mix sounds fantastic to my ears.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
Just bumping to say that I had this posted on the Andy Sneap forums and of course, no one replied at first and I had to bump the thread. And then this is the first reply I got:

Everyone is entitled to their opinion but really? Anyway, I asked him politely how he came to this conclusion because it would interesting to hear his reasoning and if there's something he's hearing that I could improve on. Anyone of you guys hearing what he's hearing? Cheers.

I believe that is called JEALOUSY! I didn't find anything wrong with it, except it sounds freakin' AWESOME! Some people are just dicks who can't say anything positive because they want to be you or at least have your ability so much that it makes them say ridiculous things. Props man!

GREAT WORK MAN! Do you help everyone out with their mixes or ? I will be getting a 5 song EP done here soon, and if you could help me out (promise I wont bug ya too much!) instead of me making all these mix posts, it'd be great! No biggie if you can't, I totally understand.

bhakan

Reaction score
What does he mean there's no separation between instruments? I can hear everything really clearly. I'd say clarity is probably one of the strongest parts of your mixes (not like there are really any weak parts). It does seem like the Sneap forum seems to be the polar opposite of the typical SSO production style, so maybe he just doesn't like the style of production?

Also, I forgot to say how awesome this is earlier, it's awesome.

Winspear

Winspear // Noisemother
Reaction score
It does seem like the Sneap forum seems to be the polar opposite of the typical SSO production style, so maybe he just doesn't like the style of production?

:agreed: I've noticed this and I think I mentioned it before, to you Sithu, actually?
I think it's a combination of the tone used and heavy compression. Definitely a stylistic thing.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Not really sure what that guy is talking about. I would love to be able to mix that well. Song is awesome dude, and the mix sounds fantastic to my ears.

Thanks dude, appreciate it! :D

I believe that is called JEALOUSY! I didn't find anything wrong with it, except it sounds freakin' AWESOME! Some people are just dicks who can't say anything positive because they want to be you or at least have your ability so much that it makes them say ridiculous things. Props man!

GREAT WORK MAN! Do you help everyone out with their mixes or ? I will be getting a 5 song EP done here soon, and if you could help me out (promise I wont bug ya too much!) instead of me making all these mix posts, it'd be great! No biggie if you can't, I totally understand.

Well, I think the guy does work for a studio, so it may be something else. Cheers though!

And PM me if you want help with a mix. I'll do what I can on that front as I usually have spare time here and there to help out in that regard. Just keep in mind that I would always encourage posting it on these forums since I'm just one opinion and one style of production and it stands to reason that you can learn more from lots of different opinions. Posting here really helped me as well!

What does he mean there's no separation between instruments? I can hear everything really clearly. I'd say clarity is probably one of the strongest parts of your mixes (not like there are really any weak parts). It does seem like the Sneap forum seems to be the polar opposite of the typical SSO production style, so maybe he just doesn't like the style of production?

Also, I forgot to say how awesome this is earlier, it's awesome.

Cheers dude, glad you like the song! Yeah, may be an Andy Sneap thing!

:agreed: I've noticed this and I think I mentioned it before, to you Sithu, actually?
I think it's a combination of the tone used and heavy compression. Definitely a stylistic thing.

Yeah, I can't remember which thread it was, maybe Arrow + Knee = Adventure Over maybe, that you mentioned it. I think it may end up well being a stylistic thing since apparently that dude works for a studio from his signature. Still, calling it a mess, that kinda got me down :squint: Not that I can't take criticism, but it's been a while since anyone has called a mix of mine a mess :lol:

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
Completely forgot to reply to this thread!

Love it man, as usual.

As to the Sneap Forum guys. I can get where he's coming from. Your mixes are very saturated with the guitars. When the kick and guitars are playing together at lower volumes it doesn't sound like they're separated...

The snare doesn't punch through the mix and the fills aren't as punchy as some more mainstream recordings...

But it's all taste. I don't fucking care about your drum programming... it's your stunning guitar playing I like (btw... want to move to Australia and be my new lead guitarist? :wub:) and that's the important part of your music.

If you want to make them happy though, that's what you'd be addressing. Having a little more clarity in your mids for the drums to punch through a bit.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
m-hmm m-hmm :yesway::agreed:

:D

Completely forgot to reply to this thread!

Love it man, as usual.

As to the Sneap Forum guys. I can get where he's coming from. Your mixes are very saturated with the guitars. When the kick and guitars are playing together at lower volumes it doesn't sound like they're separated...

The snare doesn't punch through the mix and the fills aren't as punchy as some more mainstream recordings...

But it's all taste. I don't fucking care about your drum programming... it's your stunning guitar playing I like (btw... want to move to Australia and be my new lead guitarist? :wub:) and that's the important part of your music.

If you want to make them happy though, that's what you'd be addressing. Having a little more clarity in your mids for the drums to punch through a bit.

Ah, right, I guess when you put it like that it's easier to understand. I was just taken aback by the guy calling it a 'mess'.

And thanks man, I'm glad you like it! And if you want any leads, there's this wonderful thing called the internet which I can use to send some your way for any of your tracks :)

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
You truly have the groove :)

Thank you kind sir! I like to justify the claims I make with tunes every now and then :)

Juicy; corelia is easily my favorite newer band. Much better than 88% of the usual djeneric crap

Loveee yo lead phrasin too

I've had Nostalgia on repeat forever and ever. I love that EP. They really stand out against all the other djent/progressive metal acts for me and I'm looking forward to their newer releases!

And thanks dude, glad you like my leads :D

Raayl

Reaction score
I can see why somebody might call your mixes "a mess."

While they were clearly excellent songs, something truly remarkable, and had great playing, they were just so god damn loud and processed - I can understand where someone would be coming from.

However, I wouldn't call it a mess. It's just the way you do things, apparently, and there is never "one correct way." A lot of the "pros" like to tell you there is, but there isn't.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
I can see why somebody might call your mixes "a mess."

While they were clearly excellent songs, something truly remarkable, and had great playing, they were just so god damn loud and processed - I can understand where someone would be coming from.

However, I wouldn't call it a mess. It's just the way you do things, apparently, and there is never "one correct way." A lot of the "pros" like to tell you there is, but there isn't.

btw the gating on this track is fucking sick.

Thanks dude! The way I see it, I'm only going to change aspects of a mix if there is something obviously wrong I've done from a technical aspect. If I need more defined midrange for instance, there's something I can understand. However, I'm not going to change my mix to account for another person's tastes, especially on another forum where the taste appears to be different to what I'm used to.

Also, now I've been told on Sneap that 'kick has too much low end and the bass and kick are in exactly the same range', even though I know for a fact that they're not since I mixed the track :noplease: (I would defer to you guys on the kick low end thing, although that's the first time I've heard that one as well!). I wouldn't usually let things get to me like this, but it just seems that whenever I post a mix over on the Sneap forums, someone's always telling me that I'm wrong somewhere and someplace and not even bothering to give suggestions as to how to fix what they see as wrong :squint:. I've honestly gotten more advice on how to improve these mixes from a couple of posts here that accepted that my mix could be improved AND being helpful about it too.

Anyway, rant over. What I'm trying to say is: You stay classy, ss.org :wavey:

Raayl

Reaction score
Thanks dude! The way I see it, I'm only going to change aspects of a mix if there is something obviously wrong I've done from a technical aspect. If I need more defined midrange for instance, there's something I can understand. However, I'm not going to change my mix to account for another person's tastes, especially on another forum where the taste appears to be different to what I'm used to.

Also, now I've been told on Sneap that 'kick has too much low end and the bass and kick are in exactly the same range', even though I know for a fact that they're not since I mixed the track :noplease: (I would defer to you guys on the kick low end thing, although that's the first time I've heard that one as well!). I wouldn't usually let things get to me like this, but it just seems that whenever I post a mix over on the Sneap forums, someone's always telling me that I'm wrong somewhere and someplace and not even bothering to give suggestions as to how to fix what they see as wrong :squint:. I've honestly gotten more advice on how to improve these mixes from a couple of posts here that accepted that my mix could be improved AND being helpful about it too.

Anyway, rant over. What I'm trying to say is: You stay classy, ss.org :wavey:
Getting the bass and kick drum to agree in the same range is probably the most difficult aspect of any mix. There probably is a bit of frequency bleed, but I mean - what do they expect, that every instrument is going to have its own range?

I have noticed that your tracks seem to be really boomy in spots - probably a result of your master. I'd be careful around 50 hz. That's about the only real suggestion I have.

')