Arch Enemy Replacing Angela Gossow w/ Alissa White-Gluz (The Agonist)

• Thread starter DC23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    arch enemy
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Wow! Astonishing news!!! How cool is that!!! to have a well-known local girl join forces with one of the biggest metal bands on the planet and one of my favorite bands too!!! Well deserved Alyssa! Congrats to you and Arch Enemy + with War Eternal let the conquering resume! :hbang:

Der JD

Reaction score
Not crazy about the new vocals. They're similar to Angela's, sure, but seem to be missing some aggression, power, and overall evil-ness. She's not hard to look at though.

Musically speaking, I liked it (but it's hard to find any melodeath I don't like).

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
I'm not hearing any difference between her and Angela. :D
what will make or break it is whether she can pull the same stage presence. Never been an AE fan, really, too generic for me, but seeing them at festivals always was nice.

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
Wow! Astonishing news!!! How cool is that!!! …to have a well-known local girl join forces with one of the biggest metal bands on the planet and one of my favorite bands too!!! Well deserved Alyssa! Congrats to you and Arch Enemy + with War Eternal let the conquering resume! :hbang:

Jon Levasseur approves:hbang: All I need to know about this

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I've never been a big Arch Enemy fan ("Ravenous" is the only song of theirs I like), or a big fan of Angela. Once I got over the hype-factor of a woman singing in metal, which is all the press seemed to make a real deal over AE for back in the days of "Wages of Sin", she was just a mediocre vocalist. Points for trying, but she didn't sound great, lyrics were crap and little excited me about their delivery. A shame, as Johan was a good vocalist prior to Angela.

feraledge

Heard the Good News about Maple Fretboards?
Reaction score
There's one thing I've always been waiting for from AE and it's got nothing to do with their vocalists: please stop ruining killer death metal songs with sleaze rock pull backs for extended soloing.
There are times where it almost seems like, "let's take this killer Carcass song and cut a minute of Spiritual Beggers into it."
I always liked AE, but those sleaze riffs keep them from getting regular attention from me.

works0fheart

Tike Myson
Reaction score
Weren't Michael and Angela engaged like forever ago? Seems like some relationship drama could be afoot.

DC23

Reaction score
Gotta say it, it's not a bad song at all. I quite enjoy it. Alyssa seems to fit right in. Although I am a huge Burning Bridges, Black Earth, Stigmata fan, I do simply enjoy a catchy metal song (and that's exactly what it is).

New Agonist song is good too. I actually think it's a stronger song. Although some people don't like Vicky's clean vocals, I don't mind them at all. Very interested to hear both albums fully.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Not gonna lie, I actually enjoyed this song to a fair degree. Not their best work, but it's pretty solid.

I never really heard Nick in his previous stuff, but it looks like the dude can certainly shred it up.

Alissa seems to be a competent replacement. Overall, this sounds exactly like what one would predict Arch Enemy to sound like. To some people that's good, to some it's boring. I tend to put them in the same category as a movie which I know is entertaining, but always predictable and not groundbreaking... yet gratifying. (Taken? The Matrix? Die Hard?)

I'm a master of terrible analogies.

groverj3

Bioinformagician
Reaction score
Oh, and one more comment.

Thank god they actually show the guitarists playing stuff during their solos. I feel like in most metal music videos they cut away to the singer headbanging or the drummer doing something incredibly boring, the bassist chugging along... etc. Like, wtf, show the person that's actually doing the interesting stuff right now!

Not that I watch a lot of music videos.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Eye candy factor 100% :yesway:

Everything else reeks of dullness :spock:

Yeah this really was a "my first melodeath" kinda song. The lyrics about being yourself and remembering who you are, they're the kind of lyrics that do not fit this sort of music at all, for me. A very "safe" song, nothing that hasn't been heard a thousand times before.

alchemyst

Reaction score
Just saw the video. To me it sounds just like a typical copy-paste power metal hymn but with harsh vocals. :shrug: Doomsday machine was their last at least a little bit musically interesting album for me.

wankerness

Reaction score
Oh, and one more comment.

Thank god they actually show the guitarists playing stuff during their solos. I feel like in most metal music videos they cut away to the singer headbanging or the drummer doing something incredibly boring, the bassist chugging along... etc. Like, wtf, show the person that's actually doing the interesting stuff right now!

Not that I watch a lot of music videos.

Haha, that drives me absolutely nuts in live videos too. Especially when I'm trying to transcribe some SICK GUITAR RIFF and right when it happens they cut to the singer dancing around with a tambourine or something and they don't show the guitarist again until he's back to playing whole notes with powerchords.

')