Arcturus MEGATHREAD (anticipated 2013 album!!!)

• Thread starter vilk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
This is the everything Arcuturs thread!

So, when I was 13 or 14 years old, I finally got the internet at my house. One of the first things I did was go to askjeeves and search for 'metal website' and found a website called metalstorm.ee. I knew that I liked Dimmu Borgir, and that they were 'black metal', so I went to look up some other 'black metal' bands. Browsing through random threads my first time on the site someone mentions Arcturus, saying they're a black metal band and that their album The Sham Mirrors is an absolute masterpiece. I took it to heart and promptly went to FYE and ordered the cd, not having heard a note.

Needless to say I was quite surprised, as they sound absolutely nothing like Dimmu, nor is that cd black metal (mostly), rather clean vocal prog metal (with one track with Ihsahn on vocals) I did however instantly agree that it was a masterpiece, and from this time Arcturus became my #1 favorite band for many years, and though I don't listen to them as much as I used to, they always have a place in my heart.

Of course I did eventually order their complete works (on cd and vinyl), eventually figure out why someone said they were black metal (as they did actually used to be black metal (albeit avantgarde black metal))

My favorite albums in order
The Sham Mirrors>Sideshow Symphonies> Aspera Hiems Symfonia> (Disguised Masters>)(constellation>)La Masquerade Infernale (>Morax)

The Sham Mirrors is nuts. It is super intense, heavy, also pretty and has the best piano work out of their releases. I recommend this album to anyone as it got me into the band. This album also influenced me to buy my first 7 string guitar.
^favorite track: Radical Cut-- I think this is some of Ihsahn's most intense vocal work to date. And the solos are sweet.

Sideshow Symphonies is super good. At first I was a little hmph that it wasn't Garm on the vocals, but Vortex is just such a talented singer and he fits the band very well. This album is very toned down, but also very cool and spacey.
^favorite track: Hufsa-- The vocals are in norwegian, and it's so soft and pretty.

Aspera Hiems Symfonia-- This is not your average black metal album. It is the only album from the band which features Carl August Tidemann who would eventually go on to form the band Winds. This guy shreds. In my honest opinion this album has the best guitar solos as compared with anything else in the black metal genre. They are some of my favorite solos ever written. You think sweep solos can't fit in a black metal song? think again. Tidemann is a genius.
^favorite track: Fall of Man-- dat outro solo

Disguised Masters is not an LP-- it is a compliation/eletronica-remix album. For fans of Ulver once they got all weird... this sort of dark ambient type thing. It does however feature one original song called Deception Genesis which I really really like. It also features a hip hop version of one of their tracks from La Masquerade Infernale.
^favorite track: Deception Genesis-- It's the only original track AND it's super creepy.

Constellation is an EP precursor to Aspera Hiems Symfonia, with most of the tracks also appearing on AHS. However it has one track which didn't, and I have no idea why because it's actually very awesome.
^favorite track: Icebound Streams and Vapours Grey-- I have no idea why this didn't make the cut for AHS it's the best on the EP. Would have been killer with a Tidemann solo added in.

La Masquerade Infernale-- Don't get me wrong, I do actually like this cd. It is by and far the most avant-garde sounding music I can listen to. It's weird guys. It features string instruments in many of the songs, it rocks, it's creepy, it's very unique. It used to be my favorite but where I'm at now notsomuch.
^favorite track: Ad Astra-- long instrumental with string section accompaniment

Morax, for what it is, which is a two track black metal single recorded in 1991 norway, is pretty good. It's different. Not a lot to listen to. Kinda creepy, not very fast, pretty repetitive, but trve in ever sense of the word.
favorite track: Morax. It's only got one riff, but it's a good one.

They have a new album due out this year. Vortex is tracking the vocals. I'm super pumped. I want everyone to talk about this band and what we like (or don't like) about them. If you haven't heard this band then check them out. If you have then lets bring the Arcturus talk!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
and I'm really hoping they jump on the 8 string train for this new album as well that would be killer. I have no doubt they could use it very tastefully.

I should also mention that the drummer for this band is Hellhammer from Mayhem (as well as too many bands to count).

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
love the band, but I much prefer Garm to Vortex. seeing them live with Vortex was pretty disappointing, seems like a drunk buffoon.

I wish Oyvind from Spiral Architect stayed with them instead of having Vortex back too, he's one of my favorite singers ever and sounded amazing on the live clips with Arcturus.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
also, regarding La Masquerade, it seems that it didn't really age that well. When it came out it was really jaw-dropping and a game changer for me, but I hardly ever go back to it.

xzyryabx

Reaction score
I wish Ulver would do metal again w/ a touch of arcturus......that would be amazing!

Vinchester

Reaction score
I really like Sideshow Symphonies and The Sham Mirror. Shipwrecked in Oslo blows me away.

I feel absolutely bummed that they're coming to London in December when I'm not around anymore :(

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
A guy in my school heard I liked Dimmu and Emperor so he lent me The Sham Mirrors. I must have listened to it 1000 times. The intro to Star Crossed is still as amazing as when I first heard it.

Sikthness

Reaction score
also, regarding La Masquerade, it seems that it didn't really age that well. When it came out it was really jaw-dropping and a game changer for me, but I hardly ever go back to it.

This unfortunately. Loved that cd in high school. The Sham Mirrors on the other hand is still a masterpiece.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score

Ok so its not just me then! I think you put it pretty well. I wonder if we were to hear it for the first time today how would we feel?

Nykur_Myrkvi

Reaction score
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this band. Sham Mirrors is one of the most perfect albums ever. I like Vortex but Garm is one of my all time favorite vocalist so I'd be lying if I said I didn't want him on the new album.

Morax

Trve Kvlt
Reaction score
Arcturus is (pretty obviously) one of my favourite bands ever! I can't wait to see what they put out this year. I remember reading somewhere that Garm had expressed interest in working with the band again but ended up declining thinking Vortex is the right man for the job. It seems recently Garm has made peace with his metal roots- even performing with Borknagar at Inferno. I hope this means at least some guest vocals on the new album.

In late 2011 I was talking a bit about Arcturus with Hellhammer when he was in Calgary with Mayhem and he said that following the release of this album they were going to look into coming to North America!

It's tough to pick a favourite but I would have to say probably Aspera Hiems Symfonia, it's so raw yet so majestic at the same time, totally a landmark album in the evolution of black metal. Of the newer stuff I alternate between Sham Mirrors and Sideshow Symphonies. I know Sideshow wasn't quite as well liked but there's something incredible about the sound they put together on that album, which comes out even better in the live performances: the shipwrecked in Oslo version of shipwrecked frontier pioneer is simply stunning.

ChrisRushing

Fretboard Acrobat
Reaction score
Sham mirrors is a personal favorite. I enjoy their other work but don't listen nearly as much. As much as I love Vortex as a vocalist, I think Garm was a better match. At any rate, I still look forward to anything new from these guys.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Bad Mixes from professional bands are inexcusable in today's age with the amount of software and resources available. Cool track either way but the drum sound is awful.

scherzo1928

has wood for you
Reaction score
Sham mirrors was an absolute ERMEHGERD moment when I first heard it. Loved them ever since.

Sooo, any of you fans of Winds?

OmegaSlayer

Reaction score
Didn't liked "The Arcturian Sign" :(
Too stoner sounding...
I like stoner but doesn't like it in Arcturus.

Dyingsea

Reaction score
Sooo, any of you fans of Winds?

The first album yes, great stuff. Not so much after.

To the original topic, not digging the new song that much. It just doesn't have the spacey dark feel that makes their sound. Vortex's vocals also just sound off, like he's yelling the whole time and can't hear himself. We'll see what the rest of the album entails.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
Listening to "The Sham Mirrors" right now, its been years since I've heard these tracks. I forgot how good all the piano/synth parts were.

leftyguitarjoe

Correct-handed
Reaction score
I wish Garm could come back!! ICS is a really good singer, but I've always had trouble with his weird vocal character. He owns face, but its not for me.

')