Are new Music Man JP BFR guitars up to par with older models??

• Thread starter Guitardude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Guitardude

Reaction score
I've been wanting a JP6 BFR forever, so now that I've got the money for one it seems they've removed the BFR inlay on the 12th fret! I assume it's probably to cut some cost, which is alright, but are the newer JP BFR guitars lacking in other areas? Or are they exactly the same as they were, just without the inlay? I'm looking specifically at the JP12 if that makes a difference...

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Same guitar minus the 12th fret inlay. I believe the true BFRs still get the inlay. I think they just took it off the anniversary models. If it bothers you buy a used one with the inlay. You will save about $500 and get the inlay. Either way you get the same quality.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
I never liked the inlay. Always liked the cleaner look of just one type of marker. Dots, shields, etc...

PBGas

Reaction score
Inlay is now stamped on the backplate. I had a JP 7 BFR, a JP6 BFR and a Luke BFR years ago. I recently picked up a new JP12 BFR 7 and to me it is a much nicer guitar than the others I have had in the past. Not sure why.....probably the stainless frets have something to do with it.

Forror

Reaction score
I recently picked up a JPX 6 and JP12 7. Called EBMM about it and they said that they were getting a bunch of complaints about the inlay (something about being too gaudy) so they went with the plate stamp instead. Personally, I like the old inlay but it is how it is. To echo the other comments, they're exactly the same just without the inlay :p

Greenbrettiscool

Reaction score
I personally loved the bfr inlay, it made it look and made you feel like you are part of a family made instrument, although my majesty doesn't have one it still looks killer. I would try to find a used one, they are mostly owned by people who keep them mint and you can find them cheaper than a new one. Good luck dude! You will be happy with your decision either way I think:)

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
I also prefer the inlay. Kind of made it feel like a more exclusive instrument. Knowing the hardcore EBMM guys I think most of them felt the same way. I think it was more of a cost cutting measure.

xwmucradiox

sweep.tap.sweep
Reaction score
I personally loved the bfr inlay, it made it look and made you feel like you are part of a family made instrument, although my majesty doesn't have one it still looks killer. I would try to find a used one, they are mostly owned by people who keep them mint and you can find them cheaper than a new one. Good luck dude! You will be happy with your decision either way I think:)

That's kind of like going into Walmart and reveling in the fact that its a "family business" purely because a family is at the top of the company structure. Its not as if anyone in the Ball family is actually building those guitars.

iamnoah262

Reaction score
You can't really go wrong with any EBMM JP, I've owned or played every model and their consistency is unreal. They removed the inlay because they just didn't really want to go that direction of aesthetics anymore. I'd definitely go used to save money, but the stainless steel frets are a very nice upgrade if you're going to keep it for a long time.

yellowv

Turd Ferguson
Contributor
Reaction score
Actually like at least 3 of the Ball family are still very involved in the production of the guitars and they all sign the BFR COAs.

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
Actually like at least 3 of the Ball family are still very involved in the production of the guitars and they all sign the BFR COAs.

This is true, same consistent quality made throughout their entire line. The old ones will play just as nice as the newer models, sans the newer features of course. By new features I just mean the improved trem plate and the fret material, but the inlay never really did anything besides signify it was a BFR instrument which is the same thing the neck plate does.

The only confusion I've personally ever had was the first Rosewood Neck run in 2009', all of them had the inlays even if the model it was being added to had nothing to do with a normal BFR build. Leading many people to think their guitars are BFRs, strange because the 2nd Rosewood Neck run got rid of this and made only the actual BFR's (Anniversary, BFR Axis/JP/Al, Koa Tops) have the neck plate.

Guitardude

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I ended up buying one new from guitar center a few days ago and I totally love it! I'm going to exchange it for another one though because the case has been beaten up and the guitar has some scratches.

MesaBeno

Pilot
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I ended up buying one new from guitar center a few days ago and I totally love it! I'm going to exchange it for another one though because the case has been beaten up and the guitar has some scratches.

Congrats! Any pics?

Imbrium998

Bangs head here
Reaction score
I have been told that they do not have ebony fingerboards as the standard option, instead coming with rosewood. To me that is a great reason to find a used BFR. The ebony is really really nice to behold. Good luck

Jonathan20022

Engineer
Reaction score
I have been told that they do not have ebony fingerboards as the standard option, instead coming with rosewood. To me that is a great reason to find a used BFR. The ebony is really really nice to behold. Good luck

None of the Maple Topped BFR JP's have Ebony boards except the Koa and the Dargie Run(s). The anniversary models (X/XI/12) have ebony, but none of the older Maple Top BFRs do might as well buy a new one because you'd be getting Stainless Frets on them.

EDIT missed a few, 46th Anniversary and the JPX 47th Anniversary GC runs.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
None of the Maple Topped BFR JP's have Ebony boards except the Koa and the Dargie Run(s). The anniversary models (X/XI/12) have ebony, but none of the older Maple Top BFRs do might as well buy a new one because you'd be getting Stainless Frets on them.

Not entirely true. There were actually limited runs of the Maple top BFRs with ebony boards. Two of them would be the GC 46th (BFR in bahama blue) and 47th (JPX with trans black maple top) anniversary guitars. I own a 46th and it is a MONSTER of a guitar.

iamnoah262

Reaction score
Not entirely true. There were actually limited runs of the Maple top BFRs with ebony boards. Two of them would be the GC 46th (BFR in bahama blue) and 47th (JPX with trans black maple top) anniversary guitars. I own a 46th and it is a MONSTER of a guitar.

Wow that's rad! Those 46th models are so elusive I wasn't even sure if they were real. Same with the silverburst-ish ones but one of the guys from periphery had one in a YouTube video. You should for sure link me to some pics of your JP.

')