are Piezos even necessary anymore?

• Thread starter soldierkahn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
It's interesting you say that, I kind of fel the same about mine, although the last 3 I've bought don't have piezos on them. On these, I generally can get away with some sort of combination of neck single coil, inner coils in parallel, neck in parallel, or neck split with middle single in parallel. These are the closest combos I find to using piezos instead, but they're not quite there. I love mixing piezos with mags as well...

My guitars are loaded with either LR Baggs or Graphtech system. I prefer the sound of LR Baggs, they sound less "V" EQ-ed...

when you say "V" EQ'd, are you meaning a severely mid-scooped sound? im sorry if thats an obvious yes, but i wanted to be sure.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
when you say "V" EQ'd, are you meaning a severely mid-scooped sound? im sorry if thats an obvious yes, but i wanted to be sure.

Yes, that's what I mean, I feel that the teflon covering of the Graphtech's Ghost saddles is to be blame for that "V" EQ feel. It's there. The LR Bagg's feel more present and complete... ? I've heard the Fishman's are good as well, but I've never messed with those.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
It’s in the name. They arent playing traditional instruments, they are making sounds with various materials in various ways.

Yeah this. Often running through a chain of effects pedals and other toys.

The things I described in my first post are real things I have seen people do.

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
It’s in the name. They arent playing traditional instruments, they are making sounds with various materials in various ways.
oh okay.... are you meaning folks like the "Stomp" crew making music out of trash cans and whatnot?

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah this. Often running through a chain of effects pedals and other toys.

The things I described in my first post are real things I have seen people do.

i will admit brother lol, at first i thought you were just trolling me lmao

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
oh okay.... are you meaning folks like the "Stomp" crew making music out of trash cans and whatnot?
I would say Stomp would be the most palatable version of it perhaps, yeah. To be clear i understand what noise artists do but it is not something Ive tried or seek out :lol:

soldierkahn

BAD MAMMA-JAMMA
Contributor
Reaction score
I would say Stomp would be the most palatable version of it perhaps, yeah. To be clear i understand what noise artists do but it is not something Ive tried or seek out :lol:

okay i was just making sure i understood what you all were tlaking about :) I support them doing their thing, though its not something that interests me specifically :D

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
For reference, it's hard to see what he's doing but you can still get an idea of what's going on. Pretty obvious/evident uses of piezos in this one, importantly:

Jamiecrain

Reaction score
EBMM piezo systems are the biggest pile of garbage ever made, so unreliable, so impossible to fix, 50% of JPs I've owned had piezo problems
Not my experience. Mine are loud (compared to Parkers), crystal clear, very responsive.

')