Are Schecters really worth it?

• Thread starter katzentacle
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marked Man

Reaction score
That is what annoys me about Schecter. All of their higher end bolt-ons all get the super thin neck, and only their cheapies get the thicker necks. That is one reason I like the Hellraisers... because of the thicker neck.

Yeah, it seems like I always prefer the bolt-on tones. They have they snappier, clearer attack to them. I like the set necks also. I think neck-through is always my least favorite. They never sound as good to me.

Neck thrus shine when you need clarity for chords under mega gain, but it's hard to beat twangy bolt on tone overall, especially cleans, but even mid to high gain.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Shask

Reaction score
Neck thrus shine when you need clarity for chords under mega gain, but it's hard to beat twangy bolt on tone overall, especially cleans, but even mid to high gain.
Neck-Throughs to me always seem too smooth. They dont chunk or have aggressive attack. They just kind of smoosh out notes in a flat way.

Of course, there are way more variables at play, but I have always found Neck-Through to be my least favorite sounding guitars.

Marked Man

Reaction score
Neck-Throughs to me always seem too smooth. They dont chunk or have aggressive attack. They just kind of smoosh out notes in a flat way.

Of course, there are way more variables at play, but I have always found Neck-Through to be my least favorite sounding guitars.

One problem is that the vast majority of the tone comes from whatever the neck thru is only. The glued on wings are essentially decorations and their shape/material doesn't have a huge impact the way a Les Paul body or full size Strat body does.

Shask

Reaction score
One problem is that the vast majority of the tone comes from whatever the neck thru is only. The glued on wings are essentially decorations and their shape/material doesn't have a huge impact the way a Les Paul body or full size Strat body does.
Yeah, I always considered ordering a guitar with a neck-through mahogany neck or something, but in the end, that is an expensive experiment, lol.

The bridges and such make a big difference also. For example, I have 2 identical Hellraisers, but one is TOM, and the other is Floyd and the TOM guitar sounds better. It is more chunky, where the Floyd one is smoother.

Wiltonauer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

I think that’s what I like about them. I get ear fatigue from the exaggerations in some guitars, and those tend to be Fenders, lots of bolt-ons, Les Pauls, SGs, guitars with Tuna-Matic®️ bridges. Don’t get me wrong — I love those guitars for what they do, but I also sometimes find their sound and feel to be idiomatic. Their sonic vibe tends to be specialized to the extent that they’re constantly reminding me of which guitar they are, instead of just going along with the music. This is at least partly my fault, as I know that I’m easily distracted by such things. I feel like when my focus is off (which is more likely than not), a great neck-through sounds more like the note or chord I want to play than it sounds like some hack trying to play it on a guitar with a tonal balance so skewed that I keep paying more attention to what the guitar is doing than to what I am doing. The result is that my favorite neck-throughs are more me, somehow.

Zado

Reaction score
That is what annoys me about Schecter. All of their higher end bolt-ons all get the super thin neck, and only their cheapies get the thicker necks. That is one reason I like the Hellraisers... because of the thicker neck.

Yeah, it seems like I always prefer the bolt-on tones. They have they snappier, clearer attack to them. I like the set necks also. I think neck-through is always my least favorite. They never sound as good to me.
Same, but not many modern thick neck shredders out there in that price range tho

14Fishes

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How do Schecter Custom Shop guitars compare to the likes of Suhr or Tom Anderson? There’s a mint condition used Sunset Custom for sale near me - I guess it’s a custom shop model run, rather than a customer specced guitar, priced about 25% cheaper than similar Suhr or TA guitars. Just wondering if anyone has owned this model.

Zado

Reaction score
How do Schecter Custom Shop guitars compare to the likes of Suhr or Tom Anderson? There’s a mint condition used Sunset Custom for sale near me - I guess it’s a custom shop model run, rather than a customer specced guitar, priced about 25% cheaper than similar Suhr or TA guitars. Just wondering if anyone has owned this model.

Tom Anderson Schecter USA > Suhr imho.

jwguitar

Reaction score
I was thinking about getting Omen 6 or Demon 6 in the future, but based on what I saw they're overpriced and you could get something better with these money or get something with similar specs and sound a lot cheaper. Is there something I'm missing, or you're just paying for the brand?
I like schecter’s guitars. All of their guitars seem to be very high quality.

Latest posts

')