Are there any classic Dream Theater fans?

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I am a fan of all of dream theaters work, not just the classic stuff, but like a few have stated, I find myself gravitating towards their mellower stuff. Space Dye Vest, Learning To Live, Innocence Faded, their poppier songs, I don't really care it is all good.

I don't have the tremendous and absurd feeling of betrayal some seem to feel about their newer stuff though, because that is just ridiculous :lol:

Their new shit rocks... :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Takemyevil

Reaction score

That and this:

Just give me shivers every time i listen to them.

And of course this:

JPMike

Totally Random
Reaction score
I had been playing DT in my CD Player for 2 years straight, I wouldn't care for any other band.

All the 90s records are pure gold. You can't go wrong with any of those albums, including "SFAM". From the last decade albums, I would say Octavarium and Systematic Chaos, were not that good for me. I like all the others though.

As for my favourite album, it has to be "Awake".
album-awake.jpg

As for a track, hmmm, tough call :D

mgh

Betwixt and Between
Reaction score

Best moment in the history of music, MOTHERFUCKING PERIOD :squint: .

srlsly, I never saw someone having so much joy while playing, I miss this phrasing of Petrucci so much, I digged a lot the riffs in the last album, but the solos where the biggest dissapointment I ever had in a DT album :ugh: , nothing memorable or inspiring to learn :(

and every time I listen to Labrie singing in Marquee or Tokio and then in Budokan or Chaos in Motion I want to :wallbash: my head .....

that'll be when JP had a really good looking sig then...!

BucketheadRules

Fuzz pedal hoarder
Reaction score
Also, when you compare Live At The Marquee with later live appearances it's quite sad to think how far downhill JL's voice has gone. :(

Also, Jordan Rudess is sick but his lines will never match Kevin Moore's, he just brought something really special to the music.

And it's when you could actually still hear John Myung's bass. And they weren't trying to be heavy, which suited them a lot better than the kind of thing Portnoy wanted them to do later on. Oddly, although I love IAW and Awake as albums, Black Clouds and Silver Linings is still the only one of theirs where I really, really like every single track.

I mean, the newer stuff is more developed and they've crystallised what's become "their" sound, shaking off the more obvious traces of their influences... and JP's solos are probably better now than they were in the 90s (but they were still fucking sick in the 90s, mind) but Images And Words and Awake just have... something. I doubt they'll ever quite recapture that "something"... they were a very special band in those two years from '92 to '94. They're still great, don't get me wrong, but those albums are just wonderful.

November5th

Old Shredder
Reaction score
I have been a DT fan since WDADU, which I still think is one of their best albums. I & W And Awake would have to be my favorite.I also feel that they just had something very special on those early releases that they haven´t captured since.There writing seemed more natural and not as forced as some of their more recent releases. Maybe it´s Labrie´s vocals back then or Kevin Moore´s departure. Mind you they still are a great band, but for me some magic ingredient is missing.

Furtive Glance

Unfamiliar with the type of thing I’m seeing.
Reaction score
Awake is borderline untouchable in my opinion. That album just had killer everything, especially atmosphere.

I love basically everything they've done though, soooo yeah.

KarlMagnusRobin

Köttbullar är fint..
Reaction score
I love the 90's stuff more than their newest stuff.. SFAM was the latest album that I really enjoyed every single song to the second!

My brother showed me SFAM live VHS(!) when I was about 8 (12 years ago)and I fell in love with the music!
Then I looked up their catalog and listened to everything (besides WDADU, don't consider it a DT album), Image's and Words will always be close to my heart!

I like the feel on all the old albums more than the new ones, it was more authentic and there was lot of love in everything put in to it... the newer ones are a bit more stale I think, even if I enjoy them!

All of their albums are really great, Train Of Thoughts and Black Clouds and Silver Linings are probably my favorites of their newer ones!

DT will always and have always played a big part of my life, they're the reason (apart from my older brother) I picked up the instruments I play and kept on with it!

')