Are there any classic Dream Theater fans?

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
If the above video is any consolation I believe what would are hearing to be lack of space :lol: Seems a lot less afraid to not play for a note or two nowadays.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mordacain

Formerly 1-watt brigadier
Reaction score
I love old Dream Theater. Images and Words and Scenes from a Memory are easily my favorite Dream Theater albums but A Dramatic Turn of Events is 3rd for me (mainly because it sounds a lot more like classic Dream Theater to me).

I don't quite agree about Petrucci's solos though. I dearly love the solo from "Breaking all Illusions" and while I disliked most of the albums on the whole between SFAM and DToE there are moments where they really shined IMO, like "Sacrificed Sons."

TimmaethBoy

Boi I tell you phwut
Reaction score
Images and Words/Awake are played probably 95% of the time when I want to listen to DT. The other albums tend to stay shelved.

Those 2 albums are THE DT albums to have.

Wolf ov Fire

Hellspawn
Reaction score
Lines in the Song, 6:00, Octavarium. I dig all of their stuff tho, but as for clean songs those are my personal favorites. I feel that DT could do whatever the fuck they want and I'd like it :haha:

Reaction score
I'm glad there are still people out there that prefer their older stuff. I just haven't been able to really get into any of their stuff since... well... Octavarium I think. That album was decent, but nothing compared to IaW or Awake. My personal favourite is the first disc of 6DOIT. So, so good.

beneharris

Reaction score
I love all that is Dream Theater.

:agreed:

its all good. they had a few faux paus (MP's screams) but the songs were still awesome.

i've always felt that Images and Words and Awake both had a very "90's" vibe to them, that if they had stuck with, they would have gotten pushed to the side. Awake much more so than IaW.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Kinda funny how Falling Into Infinity got a bit of flack over the years, and was always kinda looked down upon compared to the other three 90s albums, but listening to it now, with the perspective of the newer stuff DT have released and it's really hit me how brilliant that album actually is.

All about the 90s stuff for me.
I feel like SFAM is where the band slowly started to head downhill.
Now hear me out, I generally love the album, except ONE song.
The Dance of Eternity was representative of what started to go wrong with the band IMHO. The song sounds like random musical ideas/riffs etc just thrown together with absolutely no thought put into trying to make it sound cohesive and flowing. A lot of useless noodling too.

It just makes me think of what a 14 year old kid's idea of prog metal is, which is to throw in some strong musical ideas, but ultimately the song itself isn't strong. It's just about the wow factor of how many time signature changes and rhythmic changes you can throw in one song. I'd probably be impressed if I was 14 years old, but not anymore. I wanna hear a strong SONG, not a few strong musical ideas combined with crap musical ideas that ultimately forms a shit song.
I always skip the track, because it just ruins the flow of the album for me. Many of my friends feel the same way about the song too. They just skip it because they feel it's awkward and out of place in the album.

Apart from that one song, I don't think there is a single 90s Dream Theater song I dislike. It's all top notch, quality material to me. Just the sound of a band that was really inspired

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
JP's phrasing in the 90s had something I don't hear anymore.

There's pretty much nothing from the post SFAM era that has that memorable quality to the guitar solos that JP achieved with Lines In the Sand, The Spirit Carries On etc.
Another reason why I don't jive much with the post SFAM stuff, a lot of the leads just seem forced into the songs for the sake of having a flashy lead, rather than something that actually truly worked with the song and felt like it belonged there.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just because James LaBrie isn't singing on that album and I really dislike Charlie Dominici's voice... the songs get's ruined by him IMHO! :(

But I love Charlie. :(

:stone:

I'll just link another one of my favorite LaBrie DT songs then. :lol:

kamello

DESU METARU!
Reaction score
^
just learned it yesterday :D, from 3:15 onwards is so much fun

and going more on topic, I love the feeling I get from this song, so relaxing

There's pretty much nothing from the post SFAM era that has that memorable quality to the guitar solos that JP achieved with Lines In the Sand, The Spirit Carries On etc.
Another reason why I don't jive much with the post SFAM stuff, a lot of the leads just seem forced into the songs for the sake of having a flashy lead, rather than something that actually truly worked with the song and felt like it belonged there.

I'll Disagree, altough I didn't liked the leads in the last album, I think there are a lots of very well crafted leads after SFAM, to name a few, Octavarium, Stream of Conciusness (the last one, not the stupidly fast :lol: ) Tuscany, Ministry of Lost Souls, Sacrificed Sons, About to Crash, etc. etc. etc.

but well....don't take me too seriously, my other guitarrist is a complete fanboy so I might be a bit brainwashed :D

Kyo

Myung at Heart
Reaction score
Images and Words is as good an album as they come. I have a feeling they will never produce anything quite as flawless again. But I'm not one to deify "classic DT" - I don't care much for most of Awake and like quite a lot of their more recent material.

Reaction score
I like A LOT heavier songs, and I think DT is now too "light" for me to listen to them like I once used to. Even Train of Thought is not dark enough, although I absolutely LOVE Honor Thy Father.

In the lighter songs I love of DT, LEARNING TO LIVE might be the best, along with A Change of Seasons and some others. Very few are from recent albums, though :/

Trial of Tears is one of my favourites, too!

')