are there any good PS4 games for offline single player gaming?

• Thread starter Santuzzo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Square Enix have a thing with their old property where they either let it die by the wayside or do a re-release in the worst way possible.

I probably should note that Squenix somehow managed to do the opposite of this with the Drakengard franchise and it's spinoff Nier, since the latest of each game (Drakengard 3 and especially, Nier Automata) are the best versions of the lot. Funny how the games got better when they got somebody else to design the fighting/physics engine. :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
I probably should note that Squenix somehow managed to do the opposite of this with the Drakengard franchise and it's spinoff Nier, since the latest of each game (Drakengard 3 and especially, Nier Automata) are the best versions of the lot. Funny how the games got better when they got somebody else to design the fighting/physics engine. :lol:

He wasn't talking about sequels, I think they're just as good/bad as anyone else in that regard.

I'm playing Nier 1 now and it's interesting seeing what it was they built on and how. It is surprisingly similar in concept, the FEEL is just light-years better. But the Pod is mechanically there as the book, the controls are the same, etc. the biggest difference is that in the sequel you can shoot while meleeing, so you have to hold the controller in a crab-claw grip to keep L1 held down and L2 ready, and then you get carpal tunnel after ten minutes :)

I've never heard of Drakengard, should I check out 3 if I like Nier?

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
I've never heard of Drakengard, should I check out 3 if I like Nier?

The Drakengard series is an odd duck. It started off as a run of the mill PS2 hack-n-slash but with aerial combat with dragons, but with a difficult obscure (and utterly insane) optional ending that sets the stage for the Nier games.

Drakengard 3 is the best of that part of the series but it's got glaring flaws (like most of the series actually). The gameplay stumbles all over the place with clunky mechanics and boring grind-heavy repetition, and the graphics look dated in a low budged PS2 affair. So like the original Nier, it's a few steps back from Automata, but having said that, it'll be the same reason you play the original Nier: the soundtrack is fantastic and the story is a beautiful, bizarre and unique narrative. It's a prequel to the entire series and it touches on how this ridiculous timeline all began.

At least it's available (PSN) unlike 1 or 2. I just happen to own 1 during my Squenix fanboy phase, and nobody talks about 2.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lasik124

Reaction score
Check out/get the free trial of "PS Now" if you haven't already. A lot of the single player games people are listing are on there :) It's like netflix for PS games, you just stream them.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Check out/get the free trial of "PS Now" if you haven't already. A lot of the single player games people are listing are on there :) It's like netflix for PS games, you just stream them.

And make sure you have a damn good internet connection. If it’s stellar, then PS Now is pretty cool. Anything less and the lagging will bother you (you are streaming the game, after all)

wankerness

Reaction score
I've never used it, since I'm usually only interested in one game at a time. However, the rental fees tend to eclipse the monthly fee unless you're playing a really short game. If you're playing old games that will likely have latency issues, you shouldn't have to pay a premium to do so!! In many cases, if I'm only playing a game a month, it's cheaper just to buy the actual hardcopy and play that (I don't have a PS3, though, so that's out).

Backwards compatibility on the Xbox One is just destroying that on the PS4, which for all intents and purposes doesn't exist. It's frustrating. Mainly cause I don't want to buy an Xbox One, but I have a ton of 360 games and that system isn't particularly resilient.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
Anybody of you ever played The Division?
I saw a short clip on FB of someone playing it and it looked like a great game.
I know a version 2 is going to be out soon, but I don't need the latest version of games right after they came out. I'm ok with waiting a year or so until the price of the games went down.
I'm also very interested in Red Dead Redemption 2 but I'll probably wait until it's been out for a while and the price has gone down.

Edit: how about Call Of Duty - Infinite Warfare, is that a good game for offline, single player gaming?

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
Anybody of you ever played The Division?
I saw a short clip on FB of someone playing it and it looked like a great game.
I know a version 2 is going to be out soon, but I don't need the latest version of games right after they came out. I'm ok with waiting a year or so until the price of the games went down.
I'm also very interested in Red Dead Redemption 2 but I'll probably wait until it's been out for a while and the price has gone down.

Edit: how about Call Of Duty - Infinite Warfare, is that a good game for offline, single player gaming?
division is horribly boring if you play it singleplayer. it's slightly less boring with friends

Santuzzo

Reaction score
division is horribly boring if you play it singleplayer. it's slightly less boring with friends

Thanks, in that case I may need to reconsider.
When you say playing it with friends, are You referring to playing spkit-screen or play8ng online? For the latter a PS network subscription is probably required?

KnightBrolaire

mothman is real and stole my catalytic converter
Reaction score
Thanks, in that case I may need to reconsider.
When you say playing it with friends, are You referring to playing spkit-screen or play8ng online? For the latter a PS network subscription is probably required?
playing online, I don't know if it even supports splitscreen (i doubt it).

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
I doesn't support splitscreen, unfortunately.
That's one that I'd say needs to be played online to really get your money's worth/the full experience.
A lot of the endgame content requires a team, or at least 1-2 buddies.

Santuzzo

Reaction score
I doesn't support splitscreen, unfortunately.
That's one that I'd say needs to be played online to really get your money's worth/the full experience.
A lot of the endgame content requires a team, or at least 1-2 buddies.
Thanks. I'm not planning on getting a PS network subscription, so I may have to skip this game. I usually only game on my PS4 in phases, I might play a game for a week or maybe two and then I don't game at all for 2 or 3 months.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
Gotcha! Well Witcher 3 always has my vote for any platform. The Uncharted series is also a great series, if you haven't played them already.

ThtOthrPrsn

Unconventional
Reaction score
For me this means at least 200 hours...lol.
I really suck at video games, never finished a single one all the way through.... hahahaaaa

LOL well bump this down to the lowest difficulty, cause I think it'll break that habit! It's extremely good storytelling and it addictive.

PunkBillCarson

Reaction score
Don't know if you're playing Witcher 3 or not, but if you are, the Gourmet perk for early game makes everything utterly trivial provided they can't one shot you. It breaks the game. Basically, you've got steady regeneration for 20 minutes after eating/drinking food items.

Latest posts