Are tube amps the new vinyl?

• Thread starter MetalDaze
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
why would anyone move from full ownership of these units to a subscription based model?
in the video game world, I ask this question all the time. But we still have Gamepass and PS+ and Switch Online and you get called "old" if you bust out the actual hardware anymore, same as we're calling people old here for busting out old music gear.

You move to that model, as a consumer, when the industry doesn't give you a choice. If it's the only way to keep up, and the price of "vintage" amps goes up because nobody will produce them anymore, then you either buy in, spend a lot more for the vintage collection, or just don't participate.

You move on to that model, as an industry, when it becomes lucrative to do so, and when the trend says that's what you should do.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sleewell

Reaction score
kind of an interesting counterpoint: its funny how some people are like modelers are bast bc they are light and convenient and boomers are dumb because they dont get this

just seems kinda lame to me. like what you like, use what works best for you - without even worrying or needing to put down others. its music and for most of us its not a career its a hobby so have some fun with it. if dude wants to lug around a half stack thats up to them, if you wanna go DI from your modeler thats cool too. this constant need to validate your decision by making others look inferior is a really really dumb waste of time and energy.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
To be fair, even if they are like vinyl, I see way more people buying vinyl now than CDs or digital. Most people I know pay for a streaming service and then buy the albums they like on vinyl because they find the experience of listening to vinyl preferable, just as I think most people who have played a tube amp feel about them vs modelers. They may not be needed and they might be more expensive, but it's a cost people are willing to pay for the experience they enjoy.

I think the perception of both is very similar. People who have never heard vinyl assume it's better than digital because they've never experienced it and it has a reputation of being better. People who have experienced it collect it, can't afford it or don't have the space for it. Then there's the people who grew up with vinyl and don't understand why people nowadays love it so much when they can have everything at their fingertips.
Most people I know that buy vinyl never even take the shrink wrap off of them or own a player/system that would even have a chance of “sounding better” (noisier, er I mean warmer).

Stiman

Reaction score
in the video game world, I ask this question all the time. But we still have Gamepass and PS+ and Switch Online and you get called "old" if you bust out the actual hardware anymore, same as we're calling people old here for busting out old music gear.

You move to that model, as a consumer, when the industry doesn't give you a choice. If it's the only way to keep up, and the price of "vintage" amps goes up because nobody will produce them anymore, then you either buy in, spend a lot more for the vintage collection, or just don't participate.

You move on to that model, as an industry, when it becomes lucrative to do so, and when the trend says that's what you should do.

I guess my point is that there are so many options, that are continuing to expand, that I can't see it converge onto a subscription based model, industry wide, for a long ass time.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
I guess my point is that there are so many options, that are continuing to expand, that I can't see it converge onto a subscription based model, industry wide, for a long ass time.
All it would take is one of the big players to pivot and set the example. Say Fractal decides to pivot their monetization so that the hardware is just a platform, and they make their money off of licensing for different amp. Then Line 6 follows. Then everyone else follows. Suddenly the way of constant free new model updates is just gone.

I'd love to be wrong, but I think it's possible.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
All it would take is one of the big players to pivot and set the example. Say Fractal decides to pivot their monetization so that the hardware is just a platform, and they make their money off of licensing for different amp. Then Line 6 follows. Then everyone else follows. Suddenly the way of constant free new model updates is just gone.

Only TSE and LePou can save us from this nightmare!!! Aaaaaaaahh save me LePou!! 😣

Shask

Reaction score

I dont see it happening as much on hardware. Line 6 used to do paid updates, and that died over time.

As people move more towards plugins though, definitely.

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Guitarists are traditionalists, so it's not happening today, but I could see it in a generation or two. Today's tube amps for olds will be our kids and grandkids bespoke modelling hardware for olds. I can envision a future where you don't have an amp, you just show up in the metaverse and each audience member can choose your guitar tone for themselves through microtransactions.

Shask

Reaction score
Guitarists are traditionalists, so it's not happening today, but I could see it in a generation or two. Today's tube amps for olds will be our kids and grandkids bespoke modelling hardware for olds. I can envision a future where you don't have an amp, you just show up in the metaverse and each audience member can choose your guitar tone for themselves through microtransactions.
At that point you wouldnt show up at all, because kids would rather watch AI generated holograms playing music. :D

TedEH

Cromulent
Reaction score
Maybe, some 10 years from now, some random exec will stumble upon this forum, find my post, read it, think OH MY GOD THAT'S BRILLIANT, and then pitch the e-shop for custom VR concert mixes. I'm sorry for what I have caused.

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Max was right. These articles sure stir up the comment sections :lol:

It appears the reaction of tube amps being compared to vinyl is highly dependent on how you view vinyl. In full disclosure, I don't own any vinyl. I have memories of my dad shouting, "stop running down the hall, you are making the record skip!" My original music collection was all cassette, then CD, and now I just stream like everyone else (although I do subscribe to Tidal HiFi Plus for the better quality).

My gear journey went in the opposite direction. I started with a SS Peavey combo, then a Carvin SS head, then a GSP21 into a SS power amp. I was happy at the time and my bandmate had a similar setup...until he got an ADA MP-1. That sounded WAY better, so I got one too. Then, I added a tube power amp and it was a game changer for me. That's when I officially became a tube fan boy.

Of course, today's modelers are lightyears ahead of that old GSP21, but vinyl is still vinyl. I think some find comfort in its simplicity similar to the way people like the simplicity of tube amps.

Anyway, my point was that vinyl still exists for many reasons and has seen a resurgence in popularity. I believe the same will be true with tubes. It's not appropriate for every situation, but sometimes it is nice to take a break from the digital world we all live in.

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
Most people I know that buy vinyl never even take the shrink wrap off of them or own a player/system that would even have a chance of “sounding better” (noisier, er I mean warmer).
That might be true - but the perception of the vinyl itself is that it sounds better. Most people don't know you actually need a good system to play them through and will just get one of those cheap Crosbys and think it sounds awesome. My wife has two (much) younger siblings that are a part of Gen Z. Literally all of their friends own record players and think it's the coolest thing ever. Very few of them own CDs and definitely none of them own cassettes. Anytime I go to Barnes & Noble or any store that carries it, it's full of Gen Z kids looking at vinyl.

AwakenTheSkies

Life is like a box of chocolates
Reaction score
Can you imagine? "I can't wait to listen to my ultra tech death metal album from 2015 with autotune, drum samples and chopped guitars with a playback method that was used in the 1950s".
Yes! So fitting, such vibes 🍷

Nightside

I AM THE EMPEROR
Reaction score
Vinyl? What the fuck is this, the 50s? 🤔
Ikr... Why would someone choose CD over vinyl? Are you guys serious? Breathe on a fucking vinyl record and it's ruined. You have to somehow get it out of the cover and onto the player without actually touching it. You have to be extremely careful of how they're stored. Rip your CD into your computer and you can burn hundreds of copies and leave them in a pile under the sofa and they'll still play. If not, burn another one. Why tf would anyone waste money on vinyl?

SalsaWood

Scares the 'choes.
Reaction score
I'd tell you all to go be poor and lazy somewhere else, but I think that's how we all got here from TGP in the first place.

"Better" and "newer/faster/easier/cheaper" are not synonymous. Everything is compromises, usages are relative, there is no perfect amp of any kind. What isn't relative is fidelity, where precision is indisputably better. The article is predicated on a bullshit analogy for click throughs so people will hen cluck about the proper way to record fingerbanging a Squire. I don't think drawing it out will bring it all together. It wasn't written for us.

')