Are you guys diggin' the tones in the is mix? *Heavy 7-String riffs inside*

• Thread starter leadfootdriver
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

leadfootdriver

Reaction score
Cool, thanks fellas. I think the mix on the whole needs some finer tunning, but that will come latter.

Thanks for listening!

huber

Contributor
Reaction score
Dude that sounded fantastic. Could you share a little info about what's going on? What you're using and such.

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
I think it sounds great, both the playing and the tone. But, yes, I like the tone.

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
He uses a TriAxis from what I recall.

leadfootdriver

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the positive feedback!

Here's a picture of my setup as it sits right now. My TriAxis is a version 2.0. I plug strait in. The delay in the leads you hear is right from my rig. I blend it in with expression pedals.

rack_size.JPG

I've been an EMG man forever, and nothing else feels right to me, so I stick with them. I use 707's.

DCP_0033.JPG

Black Watch

Contributor
Reaction score
The guitar work on this track is very good, and that is a significant accomplishment. If you are looking for ways to improve the track, read the next paragraph, otherwise skip it.

First off, would be great to know what kind of processing / mixing was done here. For starters you want to consider the mixing levels of whatever drum machine or software you are using. As has been pointed out before, the snare is fairly hot here, and the drums and cymbals would benefit a great deal from some eq to get them to blend into the track more. The whole affair sounds pretty heavily compressed, which is fine, but from the sound of your playing, my ear seems to think there were a lot more dynamics in it at one time, and I actually think it might be better with those back, especially with some of the lead riffs. If you are going for "demo" track that proves what you are capable of, this is an outstanding piece of work. If you are going for something to "release" I would suggest getting an engineer / mixologist to work with you. It seems to have some good pieces in place, but they could be combined even better.

All in all a very good track, compares quite favorably with some of the others that I have heard here.

leadfootdriver

Reaction score
The guitar work on this track is very good, and that is a significant accomplishment. If you are looking for ways to improve the track, read the next paragraph, otherwise skip it.

First off, would be great to know what kind of processing / mixing was done here. For starters you want to consider the mixing levels of whatever drum machine or software you are using. As has been pointed out before, the snare is fairly hot here, and the drums and cymbals would benefit a great deal from some eq to get them to blend into the track more. The whole affair sounds pretty heavily compressed, which is fine, but from the sound of your playing, my ear seems to think there were a lot more dynamics in it at one time, and I actually think it might be better with those back, especially with some of the lead riffs. If you are going for "demo" track that proves what you are capable of, this is an outstanding piece of work. If you are going for something to "release" I would suggest getting an engineer / mixologist to work with you. It seems to have some good pieces in place, but they could be combined even better.

All in all a very good track, compares quite favorably with some of the others that I have heard here.

Thanks for the reply.

THe drum machine is what it is; a machine. The very nature of it is a smashed sound. It's what I can afford. Besides, a mastering clown with crush it to bits more then it is now anyway. I don't think it's that bad.

To shine another light, everyone needs to consider the fact that I'm doing this all on my own. If I had some money help, maybe I could do a real drummer in a better studio, but all of that takes lots of money, and nobody will waste thier time on something like this for nothing. Furthermore, I don't want to deal with other personalities on my project. Frankly, I'm tired of musicians. They're such flakes with no vision who mostly put the lifestyle before the music.

With some more equipment I can fine tune the mix more, but I have to work and save up for that when I can. This is what I can produce given my circumstances and what I can afford with no help at all. I never had a mentor or any other pro interests to guide me. This is what I've been able to accomplish with my own efforts.

With that said, there's way more popular players than me that have put out far less quality that this track is here. I don't feel so bad. Besides, the content is there for sure, I'm confident of that.

But I'm focused, working a fulltime shit job, and then coming home to work on my music. It ain't easy you know?

Black Watch

Contributor
Reaction score
With that said, there's way more popular players than me that have put out far less quality that this track is here. I don't feel so bad. Besides, the content is there for sure, I'm confident of that.

Indeed - please note (from original post): If you are going for "demo" track that proves what you are capable of, this is an outstanding piece of work.

You should not feel bad in any way.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
holy shit, good to see you back, Mick! i still give your last album a spin every now and then, and this stuff sounds excellent too!

any upcoming releases? playing live anywhere?

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
sounds awesome, could you post up what kind of recording gear you use, interface, mics, software, etc...I don't think I saw any of that info earlier in the thread.

as others pointed out already, the drums need the most work out of anything. people get great results with DFH and software like that, it may be something to look into, or budget for down the road

Overall though, your tones are great, playing is great, compostion is great...

and even though the mix needs a little fine tuning, this blows away anything I've been able to do

leadfootdriver

Reaction score
Indeed - please note (from original post): If you are going for "demo" track that proves what you are capable of, this is an outstanding piece of work.

You should not feel bad in any way.

Thanks for pointing things out though. I'll back off on the drums a bit, and work on the mix some more.

It ain't done untill it's done. :wavey:

')