Are You Influenced by Influencers?

• Thread starter Deadpool_25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

laxu

Reaction score
Yup, this is a big reason why I find gear videos so useless.

"Here's what this amp sounds like!"

No, it's only what that amp sounds like in that very specific situation, being massively influenced by not least cab and mic sound.
That's why if you are interested in something you can usually watch multiple videos of it, including the ones filmed with an iPhone mic that look like the amp is in some cave in Afghanistan. Usually the professionally made ones are a better representation of the sound.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
That's why if you are interested in something you can usually watch multiple videos of it, including the ones filmed with an iPhone mic that look like the amp is in some cave in Afghanistan. Usually the professionally made ones are a better representation of the sound.

Me: Opens a video review. It has camera audio.
Also me: Hits 'dislike' and closes the video.

If you want to pretend to give unbiased reviews with "in the room" sounds, then fucking do it. Buy actual room microphones and do it right. Camera and phone microphones don't resemble our ears that much, y'know? I've seen Ola and EistchyPi42 do that with omnidirectional mics and the results are quite good.

Last edited:

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

But I'm not interested in it.

loganflynn294

I don't feel good
Reaction score
I just wanna see a video of a regular dude like me demoing some piece of gear just for the fun of it, not because he's getting money or ad revenue or anything like that. If I start watching someone's videos and there's like a "theme song" or stupid riff that starts off every video, I'm out. Flashy graphics, the same clip montage in every video, same thing. Just do the thing that I came here to see! Maybe I'm just being a cranky old man though...

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
Nowadays, it seems like the only person I'm still influenced by is Eddie, and more in the fuck what's popular, I want to sound like me *stares at very EVH-esque pedal board into a 6505*.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
About the intros, they really are unnecessary and annoying.

"Hi guys, today we are gonna do thiiiiis!"

Yeah I know, I read the video title, you don't have to say that.

*Theme riff and clip montage*

No. Literally just wasting everybody's time.

"Please please please subscribe and like and this and that."

Not because you tell me to. I will do that if your video gives me something of value and I want to see more. Hint: the intro has no value.

Sometimes there's literally a minute or more of intro to a 10 minute video which I'm likely to only watch a fraction of anyway.

I think the youtubers believe that an intro helps their branding or something but I think it hurts more than it helps. Intros make me turn videos off for sure.

laxu

Reaction score
About the intros, they really are unnecessary and annoying.

"Hi guys, today we are gonna do thiiiiis!"

Yeah I know, I read the video title, you don't have to say that.

*Theme riff and clip montage*

No. Literally just wasting everybody's time.

"Please please please subscribe and like and this and that."

Not because you tell me to. I will do that if your video gives me something of value and I want to see more. Hint: the intro has no value.

Sometimes there's literally a minute or more of intro to a 10 minute video which I'm likely to only watch a fraction of anyway.

I think the youtubers believe that an intro helps their branding or something but I think it hurts more than it helps. Intros make me turn videos off for sure.
You need this Chrome extension: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/wadsworth-constant/kndfoahdcfpbfmmfdammfajpkifjndkh

I haven't tried it but it should skip the first 30% of any YT video. Which should get you past any intro themes and pointless blather.

Many videos also nowadays have chapters for easily skipping around.

YouTube for its content creators is a weird game of trying to game whatever algorithms they think YT uses to rank the videos as well as play into the psychology of people. That's why you see for example most videos having the YouTuber making a stupid face because people are more likely to click on videos with faces in them or they have clickbait titles for the same reason. Similarly YT at least used to rank longer videos higher so you still see a lot of content with needless padding.

I've called out Rhett Schull for making a "mystery fuzz pedal" video where the pedal clearly said Hiwatt in big white letters. To his credit he did change the title and thumbnail. But if more YouTubers were willing to stand behind their content rather than try to boost their rankings artificially we would have much better YT channels.

My personal pet peeve is the "glitching person". These people seemingly can't string a full sentence together in front of a camera without making cuts so it looks like they are twitching around because the video takes are spliced together. Rehearse what you say more or just leave your mistakes in.

As for having theme tunes and whatnot, a lot of channels are an actual business now. They probably started doing it for fun and then got more popular and then companies started throwing gear at them or made paid sponsorship deals. Music is a tough industry to begin with so I have no complaints that someone is taking that option to make some money. I don't think many realize how much work goes into making a single 10 minute video. Not just shooting it but editing it all together. Good studio lighting setups are also expensive.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
My personal pet peeve is the "glitching person". These people seemingly can't string a full sentence together in front of a camera without making cuts so it looks like they are twitching around because the video takes are spliced together. Rehearse what you say more or just leave your mistakes in.
Although he's definetely not this kind of dude (and his editing is quite subtle), I had a great laugh when I saw @BadSeed talking and suddendly his cap flipped over :lol:

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I do think a lot of people do cuts purely to provide "visual interest" or something, like they'll do random stuff like a zoom-in or cut to a slightly different angle for no apparent reason. But it's like, yo, I'm not watching to see random cuts, I'm watching because hopefully you'll provide content of some value. Say something interesting, educate me, do what you promised in the video title. Don't try and lean on superficial tricks to keep my attention, it's not gonna work. If you do things like that it just makes me think that you don't consider your own content to be valuable enough on its own.

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
Definitely not.

There are very few guitar channels I subscribe to at this point and the only three I watch consistently are Ola’s, Andy Wood’s and Tim Pierce’s. I already have the gear I want and know what I want to get in the future, so I’m more interested in the playing aspects at this point and even then, I’m fuckin’ lazy, so I rarely learn new stuff. I just love the way those dudes play.

At most, lately, I’ve been watching some pedal demos because I’m starting to collect some pedals based around Gilmour/EJ tones that I want to put together for an amp rig, opposed to my Fractal setups.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Same... 100% agree. Very hard to maintain interest as someone continues adjusting camera focus/ angle/ lighting or simply can't stay focused enough to deliver the content efficiently... repeating things, pausing to gather their thoughts, trying to remember what they were going to say, getting sidetracked by something completely unrelated or unproductive. The whole time I'm just becoming more agitated and less and less interested.

I was actually watching a tutorial video the other day and no joke... UPS or FedX shows up and instead of stopping/ editing, the guy opens the garage door, takes possession of the package, shows the viewers the package, makes some jokes about the package being for another video and keeping the audience in suspense, and then has to kind of orient himself back into the tutorial as if he's kind of forgotten where he was. I had to turn it off.

tedtan

Reaction score
Same... 100% agree. Very hard to maintain interest as someone continues adjusting camera focus/ angle/ lighting or simply can't stay focused enough to deliver the content efficiently... repeating things, pausing to gather their thoughts, trying to remember what they were going to say, getting sidetracked by something completely unrelated or unproductive. The whole time I'm just becoming more agitated and less and less interested.

I was actually watching a tutorial video the other day and no joke... UPS or FedX shows up and instead of stopping/ editing, the guy opens the garage door, takes possession of the package, shows the viewers the package, makes some jokes about the package being for another video and keeping the audience in suspense, and then has to kind of orient himself back into the tutorial as if he's kind of forgotten where he was. I had to turn it off.
I would turn it off or skip around within the video. I don’t have the patience to sit through that kind of shit.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Remember to use this if gear influencers are getting you down

40q2bw.jpg

T00DEEPBLUE

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The very fact people are even posting an opinion in this thread proves that social media influencers have influenced their behaviour.

People in denial need to be more self-aware.

Dr. Caligari

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The very fact people are even posting an opinion in this thread proves that social media influencers have influenced their behaviour.

Ahhh crap... The influencers influenced me to comment about how they're not influencing me so they win after all :(

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

Dammit you're right. Knowing they exist and knowing that I don't use them as reference for gear means they DO influence my gear purchases...by not influencing my gear purchases?

Blytheryn

Musical Adam West
Reaction score
Nope. I know what I like and some dude with his mouth agape on a YouTube thumbnail won’t change that. If it’s really good I’ll know about it.

wheresthefbomb

Reaction score
Influencers are just a manifestation of the algorithms, which at their heart are massive behavior modification projects. Social media is literally rewiring our brains and controlling what we think and what we want, and doing so in a way that makes us think we think and want these things. I work with behavior modification therapy in schools (ABA and such), it's pretty clear the same principles are being applied on an unprecedented massive scale through social media. There is no escape, only incremental mitigation.

So, "are you influenced by influencers?" maybe, maybe not. But we are all influenced by the Blind Idiot God of social media algorithms.

Latest posts

')