Are you perfectly happy with your 7 String?

• Thread starter Achilleion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
After thinking about it some more, maybe an 8-string guitar could be fun for experimenting with actually reduced range. Tuning in thirds for example... maybe the chord voicings made possible with that would be enough of a departure from "normal" guitar playing to be inspiring.

Usually, on guitar, we don't play 6 chords very often because most voicings are awful to play on guitar, and we omit a bunch of notes from extended chords as well simply because we can't play them, either because we don't have enough strings, or because the close-by frets don't have the right notes. I'd have to look into it in further detail, but it might be a thing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I purchased an Ibanez UV777BK in 2003 and owned it for about four years. Loved it, but quickly realized I preferred Soloists overall. The UV is my brother’s guitar now, so I still have easy access to it and that kept me always kind of missing it.

I originally planned on getting multiple Soloists and having them tuned from E Standard down to A. After getting a second Soloist, I started seeing 8 string in 2008 and liked the idea, but didn’t see a real need or use. Eventually though, it just made more sense to me to get another 7 string or two to cover the other tunings down to A. Then, I thought, “Why not just get one 8 string, and have access down to F# or E?” So that’s what I did in 2013.

My Ibanez S8 was never intended to be my primary instrument. More than just niche, but I had a fairly defined idea going in.

By 2014, the S8 surpassed both of my Soloists and became my main guitar.

I loved the UV, but I took almost immediately to the 8 string. Visualization on the fretboard was much easier to me and I fell head over heels in love with the neck. The S8 neck is the best feeling guitar neck I have played and my favorite. I feel limited somewhat on 6 strings now. Not quite as much on 7 strings, but still slightly.

I have an Aristides 080 that should be in my hands relatively soon. Going to the 8 string was, to use a badly abused and douche-y cliche, a paradigm shift. It’s not without pitfalls, IE: it wasn’t until I got my Axe FX that I was able to find tones that I am truly happy with for notes below A. And pickup selection for 8 strings is abysmal IMO. That said though, I just do not see myself going back from an 8 string. Then again, I never saw myself going TO one either, and that changed drastically.

All I can really say though is give it a shot. I’m very glad I did.

Reaction score
After thinking about it some more, maybe an 8-string guitar could be fun for experimenting with actually reduced range. Tuning in thirds for example... maybe the chord voicings made possible with that would be enough of a departure from "normal" guitar playing to be inspiring.

Usually, on guitar, we don't play 6 chords very often because most voicings are awful to play on guitar, and we omit a bunch of notes from extended chords as well simply because we can't play them, either because we don't have enough strings, or because the close-by frets don't have the right notes. I'd have to look into it in further detail, but it might be a thing.
Please report back the experience with videos or sound samples...

Avedas

Reaction score
I really like my 7 but I already barely ride the low end on it. I mostly play 6. Couldn't imagine having an 8 or more.

Nag

chugs and screams
Reaction score
Don't get your hopes up too high, I don't have plans of doing it anytime soon. But I might, some day. I don't have much disposable income these days.

aesthyrian

Reaction score
Yep. I find myself playing more 6 string these days too for whatever reason though. But I also never had any interest in tuning super low.

Vegetta

Pixel Farmer
Reaction score
Since i picked up a baritone 6 i kind of prefer that. Plus i like the 27" scale a bit better than 26.5"
THat being said I love my KM7 mkiii. I have an RG1527 that doesn't really get played.

I would try an 8 string but I have a hard enough keeping the flubb out of a 7

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
Used to play a 7 AEADGBE style. Was looking at an 8 string for EAEADGBE but tried EADGBEA on the 7 first. Fell in love with having a high A, ended up ordering a 9 string for EAEADGBEA and playing that almost exclusively, long term.
Loved it, but in the end, my tastes shifted enough that not only was I happy to drop the high A, but I didn't need a high E either. Playing 28"+ 7 string F standard range these days and a high ~B is plenty for me. I enjoyed especially the high A for extending chords and playing things lower down the fretboard, moreso than actually extending the range of the guitar. I find myself having to use the upper frets more now of course, but the range is enough and I'm enjoying not having to reach over trebles for riffing which I spend most of my time doing. I'm also very onboard with the occasional pitch shifter effect for higher licks if needed, though I sold my whammy for now.
Your 9 string is badass. Do you still play the Vik?

Stiman

Reaction score
I purchased an Ibanez UV777BK in 2003 and owned it for about four years. Loved it, but quickly realized I preferred Soloists overall. The UV is my brother’s guitar now, so I still have easy access to it and that kept me always kind of missing it.

I originally planned on getting multiple Soloists and having them tuned from E Standard down to A. After getting a second Soloist, I started seeing 8 string in 2008 and liked the idea, but didn’t see a real need or use. Eventually though, it just made more sense to me to get another 7 string or two to cover the other tunings down to A. Then, I thought, “Why not just get one 8 string, and have access down to F# or E?” So that’s what I did in 2013.

My Ibanez S8 was never intended to be my primary instrument. More than just niche, but I had a fairly defined idea going in.

By 2014, the S8 surpassed both of my Soloists and became my main guitar.

I loved the UV, but I took almost immediately to the 8 string. Visualization on the fretboard was much easier to me and I fell head over heels in love with the neck. The S8 neck is the best feeling guitar neck I have played and my favorite. I feel limited somewhat on 6 strings now. Not quite as much on 7 strings, but still slightly.

I have an Aristides 080 that should be in my hands relatively soon. Going to the 8 string was, to use a badly abused and douche-y cliche, a paradigm shift. It’s not without pitfalls, IE: it wasn’t until I got my Axe FX that I was able to find tones that I am truly happy with for notes below A. And pickup selection for 8 strings is abysmal IMO. That said though, I just do not see myself going back from an 8 string. Then again, I never saw myself going TO one either, and that changed drastically.

All I can really say though is give it a shot. I’m very glad I did.

I really enjoyed reading this, thank you for posting it.

I sometimes day dream that, maybe if I just tried an 8 string, I would have this paradigm shift. I don't doubt that you did, but I doubt that I would haha.

Curious what tuning you use on the 8?

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
Your 9 string is badass. Do you still play the Vik?
I actually sold it, in the end :) Went back and forth on it for a couple of years as I grew apart from it and finally saw it off a year ago. Had an awesome 8 years with it, but I haven't missed it :)

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
I really like my 7 but I already barely ride the low end on it. I mostly play 6. Couldn't imagine having an 8 or more.
I was like you for years, then for some reason recently I said fuck it, let's try it. I absolutely adore 8 strings and just adore the amount of flexibility they had on it. I was able to play like 4 different bands songs in a row without even tuning up or down, just transposed to a different part of the neck. Its also fun to tune to E and loop a bass part in some loops, it's just so fun.

Thrawnsonic

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
- I've considered 8 before after I checked out an Aristides 080s because it was so much easier to play than something like an Ibby Rg 8 string, but 7 is enough for now.

- Anything below a drop G on a 25.5 and it becomes a problem, ime. I've tried that with as low as a 0.74 on the low string. I'm currently at Bb standard 432hz usig 0.70 on the low.
- I tune to 432 and like it a lot. It feels better, imo, but it will get you eye rolling etc. - People that have tried it for any extended period also seem to like it. The main disadvantage is playing with anyone else that doesn't tune to it. - They don't know. After you play with it for a year you start having visions and supernatural things happen to you. jk. - The problem is few really want to give it a chance and the standard 440 is in place. - If you're playing a lot of covers or with others a lot and your guitar doesn't retune fast then maybe it's more pain than it's worth. - If you give it a chance, then once you go back to 440 it sounds nasal and annoying, like when you first try 432 it sounds a little flat and dull or soft. It's all in our heads, but I do know if you play at loud levels a lot it's noticably better over time. Less harsh on ears and somehow 'correct' sounding and feeling. At this point I think in studies all they've found is that it decreases blood pressure a small amount.
As for the whole 432 vs 440 Hz tuning thing.... I think it's down to habit. I forced a band I was playing in to tune to 432Hz for one album. Loved it. However, my old band had already released albums in standard tuning, and we had one in the works where the guitars were already recorded like that also. So I went back to 440 for the sake of convenience. Still, for a new album I might go back to 432 again. Making it very frustrating to play my own backlog haha

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
As for the whole 432 vs 440 Hz tuning thing.... I think it's down to habit. I forced a band I was playing in to tune to 432Hz for one album. Loved it. However, my old band had already released albums in standard tuning, and we had one in the works where the guitars were already recorded like that also. So I went back to 440 for the sake of convenience. Still, for a new album I might go back to 432 again. Making it very frustrating to play my own backlog haha
This is where the capo in AxeFxIII would work great. I don't have one but it looks like a nice feature. With one button push you could go back and forth probably. Seemed to work well from what I remember seeing in an Ola video once.

Wc707

Reaction score
I have 2 sixes [1 fixed, 1 floating] and 1 seven [fixed] and aside from learning Meshuggah, some Animals As Leaders, and a couple Periphery songs [specifically 22 Faces, my favorite] I feel pretty set.
I want to get an 8 string and experiment, but that would require convincing my wife I need another guitar haha.
I think they'd be a great songwriting tool.

High Plains Drifter

... drifting...
Reaction score
Out of my fifteen electrics I only have two 7's atm. At one time I had maybe five but I'm cool with having only two these days. I've always considered getting an 8-string but never actively searched for one. Sadly, I'm also in the "Hey lemme just go and convince my wife real quick that we need another guitar in this house" category so I don't see it happening although I do think it would be fun to try... just can't justify getting one without knowing that I'd dig it long term.

Stiman

Reaction score
I have 2 sixes [1 fixed, 1 floating] and 1 seven [fixed] and aside from learning Meshuggah, some Animals As Leaders, and a couple Periphery songs [specifically 22 Faces, my favorite] I feel pretty set.
I want to get an 8 string and experiment, but that would require convincing my wife I need another guitar haha.
I think they'd be a great songwriting tool.

"Honey, I can't play these songs because I need a guitar with an extra string on it"
Easy sell.

Alberto7

Living room guitarist. Ex-bedroom guitarist.
Contributor
Reaction score
I have a Carvin DC727 I ordered in 2010. Love the guitar, but something about the 7 string leaves me wanting more low range.

Fast forward 11 years and I finally got an 8 string. I do mindlessly riff some stupid low notes every now and again, just for teh lulz and because it's satisfying. But I really end up using the lowest string as an open string to fill space while playing chords or more ambient stuff. And to play Meshuggah. Meshuggah is always good to play. Currently I have it tuned half a step lower than standard and sometimes I'll drop the low F to a low Eb. On occasion I might also drop the low Bb to a low Ab, so I can match two low octaves.

By now, my Carvin, as much as I love it, doesn't really get played very often at all, unfortunately. Getting my 8 string almost made me feel like I don't need a 7 string anymore.

Turns out I'm a 6 string guy. I just play the extra range as a complement to my playing every now and again, so a 7 string almost feels incomplete to me now. Most of my playing really just happens on the upper 6 strings.

Daevasmodeus

Reaction score
I just sold my last 7 String out of 4 that I owned and only have 6's and 8's now. I typically found myself playing my 7's like a 6 with an extra string that I didn't use very much. Whereas I'm way more inclined to play the lower strings on the 8s because they are 27"+ scale and the tone is significantly better. There's something more comfortable about the symmetry of an even number of strings. I also like thicker necks and surprisingly 7's seem to be the hardest of the 3 types to find thick necks.

Latest posts

')