Are you still using BBE Sonic Stomp along with Precision Drive and graphic eq?

• Thread starter rockartlml
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
J56065000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Aw so cute. I didn’t know they made a mini one.

I’ve never tried a sonic maximiser before but I kinda want to try this one out. I’ve always ignored them due to the almost unanimous negative reviews.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
A graphic EQ is also a tone-sucking filter...every frequency slider is a “filter” that colors your tone and also should be used lightly...completely boosting and cutting frequencies unnecessarily on an EQ can have the same shitty effects as an improperly used maximizer. People tend to use the wrong tool for the job and then blame the equipment...when their using a sound engineers studio tools ONLY to shape their guitar tone- a graphic EQ and sonic maximizer were NEVER INTENDED to be a “guitar tone EQ”...A MXR 6 or 10 band EQ pedal are better suited for shaping your guitar tone.

NateFalcon

Reaction score
People say “maximizers kill your live tone” which is funny, because live settings are exactly where they’re intended to be used...when a club fills with 100 people, your sound “deadens” dramatically from your sound check on an empty club, or now you’re playing a venue twice the size as your last show- THIS is when you use them, and THIS is Maximizers and EQ’s true purpose. People who hate and love them for tone “sculpting”never understood what they’re for to begin with. Ask a sound engineer if a Sonic Maximizer is a valuable tool and you’ll get a totally different answer than a guitar player...for totally different reasons. They’re not a “guitar” tool lol

lewis

Reaction score
Aw so cute. I didn’t know they made a mini one.

I’ve never tried a sonic maximiser before but I kinda want to try this one out. I’ve always ignored them due to the almost unanimous negative reviews.
can we possibly get cool reviews/videos/ comparisons etc if you do get one? I have been close a few times to try one.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
can we possibly get cool reviews/videos/ comparisons etc if you do get one? I have been close a few times to try one.

I’ll be honest and say there’s a low chance I do get one. I set up an alert on eBay and if one (or one of the bigger ones or rack units) comes up cheap enough I’ll pick one up.

But I’m a huge cheapass these days and I only like buying used or making my own stuff.

Shask

Reaction score
I’ll be honest and say there’s a low chance I do get one. I set up an alert on eBay and if one (or one of the bigger ones or rack units) comes up cheap enough I’ll pick one up.

But I’m a huge cheapass these days and I only like buying used or making my own stuff.
I saw you can buy a PCB for a clone of a Sonic Maximiser now... I will probably get one once the urge and time to build pedals comes back again.

mnemonic

Custom User Title
Reaction score
I saw you can buy a PCB for a clone of a Sonic Maximiser now... I will probably get one once the urge and time to build pedals comes back again.

I saw that also, there’s also a veroboard layout drawn up using a tl072 and tl074. I know the pedals have some proprietary chip so I’m not sure if those TL07x chips are really accurate or just some rough approximation. I’ll have to read up more on the circuit analysis.

My understanding is it was some phase / timing thing, but the TL07x chips won’t do any of that from what I understand. Maybe the pedals are different from the rack units. Or maybe it was all marketing all along.

rockartlml

Reaction score
I got it and I think its a 2nd version with cursive lettering. I noticed the tone improvement which It removes the blanket from the amp. Also I can achieve the djent tone with high cut by adjusting the process knob and I can add the low end by dialing the lo contour. I really surprised that it is a helpful pedal to my pedal chain. Thanks for sharing your pros and cons about this stuff

')