Are you wearing shoes when drumming ?

• Thread starter DGKarehere
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DGKarehere

french dude, Brian
Reaction score
Are you wearing shoes when drumming ?
Do you always need to adapt your technique when you change your shoes?

I personnally never have been able to play with shoes. I'm more confortable just with socks:cool:. I want to know why people are wearing these when playing drums.:wavey:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
It doesn't really affect me. I'll wake up in the morning and jam in bare feet, or I'll come home from school and leave my shoes on. Or my socks. It doesn't really affect my technique any.

Asrial

Whisper into nose
Reaction score
When I used to drum, I preferred to play with vans for the most part. Flexible, but stiff enough for me to do really fast single-pedal strokes.

Now the only drums I play is on GH:M...

Reaction score
As long as I don't have hiking boots, I am okay. For very fast action, I prefer good gripping Indoor shoes. I can't play barefoot. I can play with socks only on eliminators.

rogrotten

Reaction score
I normally play either with flip flops or with my vibram fivefingers :). The footboard of the axis pedals (old ones not the 21 bla bla bla ones) cuts me whenever I play barefoot :(

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I wear my Tom's when I play. They actually make for a pretty awesome drumming shoe. They're padded, but very light with a flexible sole.

Steve08

Reaction score
It doesn't really make much difference to me, I switch between socks, flip flops and shoes, but I think overall I prefer to play only wearing socks because I like the feel of the pedal being right beneath my foot.

ryaneatsbrains

AMONGSTtheMACHINES
Reaction score
I've never worn shoes when drumming. Every pair/brand/style etc etc yields different results in terms of technique, dynamics, and so on. I play barefoot simply because I can attain and maintain a consistent means of playing heel up or heel down. I don't need to worry about a specific shoe style or company being discontinued or going out of business.

Kurkkuviipale

Another Sinking ....
Reaction score
I wear swimming shoes. I mean, those flexible soft-based ones, used with something like swimming suits or something. Hard to describe...

:idea:

rucanor-aqua-shoes-swimming-tp_6956512187974556685.jpg

E: They're really comfortable, though after a long use they tend to brake up. But that's only my feet growing. :)

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
I wear swimming shoes. I mean, those flexible soft-based ones, used with something like swimming suits or something. Hard to describe...

:idea:

rucanor-aqua-shoes-swimming-tp_6956512187974556685.jpg

E: They're really comfortable, though after a long use they tend to brake up. But that's only my feet growing. :)

Aquasocks ftw!!!

drgordonfreeman

On vacation
Reaction score
This was one of the biggest dilemmas I faced back when I was gigging a lot as a drummer.

I couldn't stand playing barefoot, and socks made my feet slip on the pedals.

I went through almost an infinite array of different styles and types of shoes before I finally found what worked for me.

For me, Airwalk One's have always worked. Back when they were still making them, I bought like 20 pairs of them. I still have several that are unworn to this day. The ones that I have worn look almost new, as I only wear them to drum in.

Crazy but true story.

Reaction score
At home and practice with band socks. Performing and recording wresteling shoes, nice and tight with plenty of support. Plus very thin with a non-restricted feel.

')