ARGH, Gojiraaaaa!!!!11 :O (new Gojira-inspired riffs)

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
I was supposed to work on some melodic riffs today, but my Jackson DK-2 disagreed and gave me these riffs instead :shred:

What do you guys think, should I make a full song out of these? And is my tone good enough for this kind of stuff or do I need to tweak it somehow?

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/pauligrinder/o-gojiraaaaaa1111[/SC]

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Anyone?

I'm probably gonna mess around with this a bit today. I think I'm gonna play it in B on my 7-string instead of C on a 6-string as it is now, because then I can record real bass on it more easily, so I guess I'll post a new version later today. I've also got some acoustic/melodic ideas in my head that I might use later in the song, and I'm gonna extend the intro a fair bit so the triplet-part comes in later on.

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Alright, new version. I'm probably not gonna start the song with the riff it starts with now, but it turned out pretty interesting so it will be in the song.

I played it with my 7-string now and also added real bass to it :)

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/pauligrinder/argh-gojiraaaaaaa1111-v20[/SC]

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Bump again :) Any comments, anyone?

I've got one question too:

How do I make my bass tone more even? When I play on the low B-string it sounds awesome, but the rest of the strings sound very quiet and thin in comparison. I've tried to normalize the higher parts separately, which kind of works, but it's quite tedious and doesn't really feel like the right way to go about it. My bass is a really cheap one though, so I wouldn't be suprised if my pickups just suck :scratch: Also, since I'm no bass player, it could be a problem with my technique too.

I came up with some new riffs for this other day too, by the way, so a new version is to be expected some day soon :)

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Sounds pretty cool man, definitely sounds like Gojira. As for the bass, are you using a compressor? For bass a compressor is the single most essential thing after EQ. If you use a compressor it will even out the entire bassline so the change in notes and playing doesn't result in dramatic changes in volumes.

Rev.

NickLAudio

Reaction score
For your bass problem, make sure your pickups are setup properly to pick up each string evenly. Here's a quick video to help you out. After you get that setup, throw a compressor in the chain like Rev2010 said as it's crucial in getting a nice punchy and even bass tone.:hbang:

Harmsown

Reaction score
The bass could use a compressor, but it sounds pretty good tone wise. I prefer bass to just be the low rumble that glues the mix together. Your tone honestly sounds pretty good. A compressor would help even things out if your still concerned about it :yesway:

p0ke

7-string guitard
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise guys! I enabled the Compressor-effect on my V-amp (through which I record everything) and now my bass is way more even :) I'll look into adjusting the pickups too at some point when I have some more time. I had a compressor on the track in Logic already, but it just wasn't helping enough.

Here's a new version, with some new riffs and improved bass:
[SC]https://soundcloud.com/pauligrinder/argh-gojiraaaaaaa1111-v30[/SC]

I don't know if I'll be keeping the second to last riff, but it felt like a clever contrast in there before going all Gojira/etc. Oh and I kinda screwed up in the beginning where the instruments fade in, the bass gets canceled out by its noisegate up to a certain point :D I'll fix that later. I guess the riffs will repeat a little more too, and I'll need to come up with some better transitions too.

I've been spinning this around in my head for so long, I've kinda lost the initial idea and don't know how to arrange the riffs. Does the new intro seem like something worth keeping? I'm thinking about doing a slight variation of the last riff and repeating it a while more, it feels like it'll be a second verse kind of thing (the first being the lighter part before the melodic riff, it will definitely repeat at least twice that long) before some kind of ending thing. Or maybe not.

I might be in a too good mood today, but I feel like my bass sounds like it's eating babies for breakfast or something now, just plain brutal :hbang: