ARZ307 vs. ARZ307FM

wyldeman71

Reaction score
This is really just a general question but I can narrow it down to a specific one. I played an ibanez ARZ307 and I liked it enough to decide to pick one up soon, but I've found that they have a version with a flamed maple top. I was just wondering how this would change the sound of the guitar if at all. It's a mahogany body with a set neck if that matters.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's no confirmation that it's an actual top, and given the price difference between the two it's likely just a thin veneer. If that's the case, there will be no appreciable difference in tone.

KrogWaugh

Reaction score
I would challenge anyone who says they can blindly say "Yeah I can HEAR the maple cap on that guitar, sounds so much smoother!" But that's just me.

Reaction score
The flamed maple is a paper thin veneer.

It is not a solid maple top, like Gibsons.

Reaction score
I would challenge anyone who says they can blindly say "Yeah I can HEAR the maple cap on that guitar, sounds so much smoother!" But that's just me.

Uhhhhhh....

Have you played a Gibson Les Paul with maple top compared to the solid mahogany version?

There is a HUGE difference. The solid mahogany Les Pauls sound like mudd. 1" thick (in the center) solid maple tops change the sound...

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score

My all mahogany LPs sound quite different than my maple capped ones. It's not because having a maple cap (which is plane and not figured in this case) is more "regal" or anything, it's different mass and other physical properties alter how it sounds. I'd never say it's "smoother", but it is a pinch brighter.

I notice the difference the most through my THD UniValve, a pretty simple and clean amp. Through my JMP-1/PV50/50 rig I can hardly notice it at all.

Personally, I prefer the all mahogany models, but I'm usually in the minority in that regard. :lol:

The solid mahogany Les Pauls sound like mudd.

I can't say I agree with this in the least.

And that's coming from someone who owns both and can hear the difference in the right context.

KiD Cudi

Reaction score

:facepalm:
Obviously not but that's doesn't make the difference between a guitar with a certain would configuration without a maple top and the same construction/configuration with a maple top unnoticeable. The latter would sound slightly brighter than the combination of the previous guitar, its pickups, and its amp/pedal setup.

wyldeman71

Reaction score
Well I'm glad to learn how thin the maple is on this guitar. I like the look of the standard one better anyway. I'll have to check out some les Paul's next time I'm in guitar center to see the difference for myself.

Latest posts

')