As a fan, do you appreciate free music?

• Thread starter regodus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kenken27

Reaction score
You guys should check out a few of the Trent Reznor interviews where he talks about the music business and how he has built a business model for himself that has worked in these odd times. Just an example, and I'm not positive on statistics here and am too lazy to Google for them right now, but NIN's last album, The Slip, was given away on NIN.com completely free. I downloaded it the week it came out. Trent said that they had a "donate" option, but noted that only 18% of people actually did. I didn't donate. However, hard physical copies of The Slip were sold in limited quantities, and they nearly sold out immediately. I bought it the day it hit the shelves. The "deluxe" editions of The Slip were limited to, and I'm making a guess here based on memory, 1500-2500 copies? I can't quite remember, but it was an extremely limited amount. I believe each deluxe edition was priced over $100, and they sold every single one of them in under 24 hours. That's $250,000 in one day. Luckily for Trent Nine Inch Nails has a massive fan base that has been built over many years. These kids, including me, are rabid for this shit. After album sales, ticket sales, merchandise sales, etc. etc., Trent made hundreds of thousands of dollars. Nearly all of it was profit. Trent also has the luxury of owning his own studio and having years worth of knowledge in the business that allows him to be almost literally self-sufficient in his craft at minimal cost to him. This doesn't mean that his ideals don't apply to other musicians though.

What I took from this is that it's really hard to make money on your actual music right now. As soon as one person has a physical copy of an album it's leaked over the internet within days. iTunes sells songs and full albums but not enough people buy music from iTunes for it to really generate a profit, and I'm almost positive iTunes, and most other music hosting sites, take a chunk of the cash too. What does sell however are hard goods such as tees, hoodies, hats, buttons, stickers, etc.. Limited quantities of hard goods sell even better such as limited print albums or tour shirts. Ticket sales and venue guarantees have and will always be a good source of income also. The idea behind Trent's model is that if you get enough people to listen to your music, to enjoy your music, that they will want to become a part of it by seeing a live performance, buying merchandise, and collecting limited items. I for one know of a few limited press vinyls i'd like to buy from a few bands, and I don't even own a record player! Times will change someday. There will be some new form of technology that starts restricting the ways people can illegally share music or will make buying music more desirable. Until then we have to learn to use our music as a tool to draw business into other aspects of our brand. Unless your entire fan base is made up of audiophiles and super fans who want actual albums, music sales are pretty much dead right now.

One more thing. Trent also has a few things that him and the NIN team have made to even further the online sharing experience of music. They have made a few viral videos that sent people on a mad scavenger hunt looking for clues and music samples. They've made an iPhone app that allows people to see where other NIN fans are around the world. They've even released master tracks for songs and had contests on fan remixes. All of this, albeit small details, has pulled in an even bigger fan base. More hype, more fans, more people listening to your music, more people seeing shows, more people buying merch, more people getting addicted to everything your brand touches. Trent Reznor could release a limited supply of fucking NIN Nike's or Subway sandwiches and they would sell like crazy simply because they said NIN on them.

So, until the music business curve comes back our way, do what you set out to do in the first place. Enjoy your music! Then sell your brand.

I turned 23 in November. I'm young, naive, and spend most of my free time in front of my computer recording. I've studied music business for 3 years until transferring back to pre med. Not because I don't love music, but because I wasn't learning about what I actually wanted to do (be a producer). What I did learn about the current music business I didn't care for. It's a lot more "business" and a lot less "love for music". I haven't even touched on the topics of major record labels, ASCAP, BMI, SESAC, paid session musicians/writers, marketing, touring and recording expenses, advertising, etc. There's a lot that goes into this giant rainbow party we call the music business. I love to learn about anything related to music though, and I'm interested in seeing what others have to say on the topic.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

KingAenarion

Resident Studio Nerd
Reaction score
The best description I've heard is this:

Giving away your music for free is what replaces Radio. Particularly for underground artists.

This is why I'm such a fan of pay if you want models, and particularly sites like bandcamp.

You say "check out my music, I'm not going to charge you to listen to it, but if you want a copy to keep with you at all times because you like my music, you could/should pay for it so I can keep making more"

I don't like that so many artists give it away for free, because it floods the market... everyone who can play 4 chords can now make a decent recording at home, and wants to be Rock Star... so you get this environment where you have thousands of people screaming "CHECK OUT MA BAND!!! CHECK US OUT!!! GET TO 1000 LIKES AND WE'LL UPLOAD ANOTHER TRACK!!!" and meanwhile amazing artists who are legitimately astounding are drowned out...

I don't mind the idea of listening to it for free... that has been around since the Radio started playing music (short of the cost of the radio itself)... even teasers or individual tracks for free are ok, but actually giving complete digital copies away for free dilutes the market and IMHO actually reduces the value of music and art.

People like to have art in their houses. Artists don't give away their paintings for free... but you view them in a gallery without paying to see them before you invest in them.

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score
Well, as a student with no money I do appreciate free releases, especially if I'm into the bands that are releasing them (like Red Seas Fire, Intervals, Cloudkicker etc).

The reason I released my music for free is so that more people can easily get their hands on it as well as to try increase recognition for myself within the particular music scene I'm in. You may argue that free releases saturate the market and to a degree it does, but I'm pretty certain not as many people would have gotten my music had I charged for it. I'd prefer for a load of people to have gotten my music for free and told all their friends that its free and spread the word about my music as opposed to a few people buying it and maybe telling a few people here and there who have the money to spare.

In any case, I also leave the option to donate. If I find a band I really like and their music impresses me, I try my best to donate money if I can!

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
This is a great thread!

Both bands I am in are fixing to release our first EP's. One is a southern metal/stoner rock band, the other is a proggy-thrash project were I do everything.

My physical band will be doing a free to stream/donate for a free shirt and download the whole EP. The money we get from gigs and the donations (we are not expecting a penny, so anything we get would be awesome, plus they get a shirt) taking that money and going to a studio to record a studio quality full album. The album will be sold physical (whatever we have the money for to get the CDs made) in a limited quanity due to budget, plus available to stream free/ buy per download per song, merch packages with purchase, etc.

My solo project will be completely free with donations accepted. I will have videos, playthroughs, how I obtained these sounds, recording tips, gear reviews, etc. This is strictly my way of giving back to the online community what it has given me. From Ola to these boards, to Bob Blach (Fu Manchu, started playthisriff), to the hundreds of "how do I do this" video on youtube.

I know they are two totally different crowds/genres but it's just an experiment I am trying. I was always told, if you have the opportunity, take it!

I do NOT know which way will be better, I am not expecting to be the next Ola, Misha, etc, I play music because I have a love for it, and it's all I literally think about and eats up every second of my free time. I love it! I just want to get it out there so maybe one or one hundred other people get my music and like what I'm doing, so like it was said earlier, it doesn't matter if I make money or not and I would still do this if money never existed in the music world no question, BUT there is the option, or opportunity, so I'm going to take it, because I may never get the chance to do so again.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
This is a great thread!

Both bands I am in are fixing to release our first EP's. One is a southern metal/stoner rock band, the other is a proggy-thrash project were I do everything.

Link to metal/stoner band?

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
Sure man. Everything was tracked and recorded by me, then my bassist did his thing and he also sings. Been through 5 drummers in last 3 months and 2 gigs, so IM playing drums now and our rythym player is doing guitars - minus the solos LMFAO ha, oh well, only thing we can do when have 5 gigs lined up in next few weeks. Gotta suck it up and get out there and hopefully find someone who connects with us and is DEDICATED, not just oh im the drummer so you guys play, im going to get fucked up then ill play when i feel like it.... I hate drummers now. Hopefully i meet someone who will change that.... lol SORRY ABOUT THAT! ha ha

Black River Revival

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Sure man. Everything was tracked and recorded by me, then my bassist did his thing and he also sings. Been through 5 drummers in last 3 months and 2 gigs, so IM playing drums now and our rythym player is doing guitars - minus the solos LMFAO ha, oh well, only thing we can do when have 5 gigs lined up in next few weeks. Gotta suck it up and get out there and hopefully find someone who connects with us and is DEDICATED, not just oh im the drummer so you guys play, im going to get fucked up then ill play when i feel like it.... I hate drummers now. Hopefully i meet someone who will change that.... lol SORRY ABOUT THAT! ha ha

Black River Revival

Listening to Hellhound, solid! :hbang:

EmpulseOrange

Reaction score
Hey awesome THANKS MAN!!!! Always awesome when people like it, thats why we make it!

SORRY if I caused the thread to get off topic, didn't mean to!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If paying means that it keeps my favorite artists in business, I'm all for it.

How else do you expect that artist to stay in business...?

You guys are also not mentioning one key thing about music - if it's not good, it won't go far.

if 100 bands put out 1 free EP with 5 tracks, and 15 of those bands have great song-writing, they will be the ones that get farthest. Period.

People gravitate to the cream of the crop, more often then not. There is always hype surrounding a brand and a product, and I feel that 10 times out of 10, *some* of that hype is warranted.

Why is Nickelback so damn famous? Because Chad Kroeger writes in a variety of styles, targets a very wide audience, and has something for everybody. Why is Chad Kroeger rich? Because he's in a world-famous band, producer, songwriter, business owner, among others. He has more sources of income then say Tom Petta (the vocalist/guitarist of Bigwig).

If I like an artist, I will pay something for their product. I feel that their product is worth it. If they have a Pay-what-you-can option, that is fantastic. I write music, and I want to record it and get it to the public. I want my own projects, and I want people to get the music for whatever they can afford. When it comes to my main band, however, I want us to get paid for our hard work. It cost us something, and we can't continue to do it without revenue. Never getting paid *at all* is a bad business model.

SirMyghin

The Dirt Guy
Contributor
Reaction score
In my experience, no, I do not appreicate free music. This is because everything I have recieved free has not had the staying power. I give it a listen, maybe 2, and it hits a dark corner on the hardrive and lives there. I have yet to run into anything given away that I would have wanted to pay for in the first place.

One the other side of the coin, when I buy an album I have usually previewed it through the available outlets and considerred it heavily, I don't need to be drawn in by anything other than my want to hear it, opposed to 'may as well, it is free'. Giving away your music free seems more desparate than anything to my eyes.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
In my experience, no, I do not appreicate free music. This is because everything I have recieved free has not had the staying power. I give it a listen, maybe 2, and it hits a dark corner on the hardrive and lives there. I have yet to run into anything given away that I would have wanted to pay for in the first place.

One the other side of the coin, when I buy an album I have usually previewed it through the available outlets and considerred it heavily, I don't need to be drawn in by anything other than my want to hear it, opposed to 'may as well, it is free'. Giving away your music free seems more desparate than anything to my eyes.

I think the financial value also makes a listener put in more effort to find worth in material, and often gets more from the album as a result.

guitareben

Reaction score
Streaming it on the site is pretty awesome :D It means I can check out the music, but still have the incentive to buy it (Going onto a website to listen to music is a faff, and recording the audio from the sight will just naff up quality etc...)

C2Aye

has the groove.
Reaction score

I would have to strongly disagree. Giving away my music for free has helped me out in ways I could have never imagined. Implying that desperation is involved puts a negative light on people who have music to share and don't care about financial gain and would simply want to get their music 'out there' so to speak. Cloudkicker would be the best example of this.

kenken27

Reaction score
I would have to strongly disagree. Giving away my music for free has helped me out in ways I could have never imagined. Implying that desperation is involved puts a negative light on people who have music to share and don't care about financial gain and would simply want to get their music 'out there' so to speak. Cloudkicker would be the best example of this.

Years ago if you didn't learn of a new band from seeing them at a show or through friends, there was a relative "risk" involved in buying their albums from your local record store. You could buy an album and end up hating it. If you heard a new band on the radio you knew you were hearing a single, and didn't know if the rest of the album would live up to it. After the release of Napster you could download some of the less commercial songs from a band, and if you really liked their music you could go to a Best Buy or something and buy the album. A lot of times I would do this and end up liking a band so much that I would buy every album that they had released. Then comes the merch and seeing them in concert.

Today with sites like Bandcamp, YouTube, and even Facebook, it's even easier to find out about new bands. For me the same general rules apply. If I like your music, if you get me hooked, I will buy your album and will follow you for years to come. If Cloudkicker did a full tour throughout the US you can bet your ass the place would be packed, and he did all of that by giving his music away for free. Free music is probably the best way to promote your band. I just learned about Sithu Aye two weeks ago. I've already listened to both albums on Bandcamp multiple times. I've told friends about it and have checked Sithu Aye out on Facebook. Free music works.

EndOfWill

Reaction score
Well appreciating free music and actually liking the music are two different things.
You can give me just about any CD of any genre, and I'll appreciate it, because it's free, and who doesn't like free things?
Now will I enjoy that free CD? That will depend on the music.
The means by which I acquire music does not affect whether or not I like it.
And like I said before, It depends on whether we're talking about rather small-time bands or bands with a decent following.

regodus

Reaction score
I forgot to mention the reason for trying this route was heavily influenced by Periphery...they took this route. They may be the exception though seeing they are at the forefront of their genre.

ZXIIIT

XIII
Reaction score
I'm still not 100% sure I understand what you are saying but thatnks for taking the time to attempt an answer.

If an artist automatically expects someone to spend money on an unheard product now-a-days then I think they must be living in dream land. Very rarely today will I buy something that I have not heard previously, without some sort of "recommendation" which could be words from a friend or their record being on a particular label.

The concept that some people have been discussing here that "art should be free" is also something I disagree with strongly. Assuming that by "free" people are saying "I should be able to get music by other people for nothing" really sickens me, it basically means the artist is being robbed in my opinion.

Realism, in this capatalist society, says that products are exchanged for other products of a similar worth. So, "free art" means art is worth nothing?

I think your taking my response a bit too out of context and are looking into it a bit hard, simple answer, start off by giving away some CDs, make yourself known, no one will hand over $15 to you for a CD they have no clue about.

Just because it's free does not mean it's shit, I've found some awesome band's that have given me their CD/demo for free, is it considered worthless just because it was free? no way.

And no, the artist is not being robbed if they offer their music for free, again, how will people know about your music if your not making it reachable to them? sure you could start off by selling it, but in most cases, handing out a free copy leads to a listen then to support from that person.

I have artist friends (painters) that make poster copies of their art and hand them out at events, is that considered worthless? same for music (in my opinion)

Sunlit Omega

Chaos Engineer
Contributor
Reaction score
The "deluxe" editions of The Slip were limited to, and I'm making a guess here based on memory, 1500-2500 copies?

it was actually 250,000 and surprisingly, there are still some out there. I've seen 2 at my local best buy, and one at my local record shop.

I personally don't like free music because music is art to me. People pay for paintings, sculptures, pictures, etc. All are considered art, if music is considered art I have no problem paying $10-15 per album. The only reason is to me, free music cheapens the real value of the music itself. This is only my personal opinion though, I'm not getting on a soapbox about how all music should be paid for, just my viewpoint.

')