As a listener, I find the following highly generic and unoriginal

• Thread starter rectifryer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
I wish it was in an elevator. I'm actually liking a lot of that music because it's generic and fit for background music. It's not really memorable, but has a nice atmosphere for doing other things.
I will not have you slander elevator music comparing it to djent.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

nikolazjalic

Reaction score
Not everything everyone writes is going to be original, with a huge fad like djent there's going to be a lot of copycats inspired by the movement and at least it gets them writing music. They're just guys like me or you who enjoy playing music, learning how to become better writers and releasing anything decent on their way. Of course this means you're going to get an over saturated genre of generic bands but maybe that generic album you wrote off was someone's stepping stone to writing something much more original. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone wants to sound like their favourite band, we're just exposed to much more "copycat" bands because of the internet.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Not everything everyone writes is going to be original, with a huge fad like djent there's going to be a lot of copycats inspired by the movement and at least it gets them writing music. They're just guys like me or you who enjoy playing music, learning how to become better writers and releasing anything decent on their way. Of course this means you're going to get an over saturated genre of generic bands but maybe that generic album you wrote off was someone's stepping stone to writing something much more original. Everyone starts somewhere and everyone wants to sound like their favourite band, we're just exposed to much more "copycat" bands because of the internet.

I was going to touch on that point too.

People in these bands have plenty of time to develop their skill as musicians and tastes as appreciators of music. There's so much interesting stuff to learn and experience in music but not enough time

HUGH JAYNUS

I’m a grown ass man
Reaction score
I say WHO CARES. its music. You either like it or not. Sometimes stuff grows on you and sometimes you hold a level of high expectations. But all that matters is if you like it or not

Addison90

Reaction score
I appreciate djent, but in my opinion Steven Wilson is the definition of modern progressive music

Reaction score
I thought the second track was pretty cool. Just something to have playing when I'm bored and browsing facebook.

Anyways I suppose I haven't caught onto the rolling eyes at false progressive, but I get more in a tussy when people still try to argue that AAL is jazz :lol:

Govan Emmanuel

Reaction score
I get more in a tussy when people still try to argue that AAL is jazz :lol:

Jazz-fusion to me is a blend of jazz and other styles (rock, metal, funk, blues, etc.). Unless I hear jazz timing, rhythms and improvisations, I feel that AAL is an instrumental metal band with very advanced harmonic elements..

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
it should be called nu-prog, it's strange if you listen to an album like Close to the Edge by Yes and see where 'progressive' music is at today. Devolution if I ever heard it :scream:

P.s +1 to Addison90, Steven Wilson/PT are brilliant!

Status
Not open for further replies.
')