ASCAP or BMI?

• Thread starter TonyFlyingSquirrel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TonyFlyingSquirrel

Cherokee Warrior
Reaction score
Business Question for my artist friends.
ASCAP or BMI?

Last time I did this in 2000, all this was already established and done for me. Now I’m doing it on my own for my own project.

So, which one do you prefer, and what are your pros and cons of each. Spare no details either please.

I’m also already in contact with an entertainment attorney in the area to set up the business structure for the band, publishing, etc. Details appreciated.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tedtan

Reaction score
Everything I’ve heard or read on the the subject has said that BMI is better for smaller artists, BUT it is also older and outdated. I don’t have any input on which is best these days.

So, in other words, bump.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BMI generally pays out better because they are more consistent with collecting their fees.

This is something I've heard around but I also speak firsthand as someone working in broadcast.That's just for traditional broadcast licensing though and it's targeted at paying writers and publishers.

I believe Sound Exchange is the group to look at for collecting royalties on streaming and those go specifically to performers. Not sure if that distinction matters in your friends case. I've heard so so things about Sound Exchange but I'm not sure there's an alternative.

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
BMI generally pays out better because they are more consistent with collecting their fees.

This is something I've heard around but I also speak firsthand as someone working in broadcast.That's just for traditional broadcast licensing though and it's targeted at paying writers and publishers.

I believe Sound Exchange is the group to look at for collecting royalties on streaming and those go specifically to performers. Not sure if that distinction matters in your friends case. I've heard so so things about Sound Exchange but I'm not sure there's an alternative.
BMI. I resigned from ASCAP because of their enabling the Spotify madness.

')