Assistance with pickups

• Thread starter Metahedron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Being a single background guitarist in an obscenely aggressive, experimental, drums and bass driven band, I have several matters to request the forums assistance with:

My primary 7's humbuckers are extremely unsatisfactory, and the neck PU is constantly disembodying due to a stripped tab, and I was curious as to what recommendations for replacements you could provide. It is a mahogany body 7-string Epiphone Les Paul in requirement of a bridge and neck humbucker providing a fat, dark, and rich hum bucker tonal quality with an abundance of bite primarily for rhythm and melody.

Additionally I am soon to purchase a 7 string with alder body wood likely to have another HH configuration. It is with this guitar's pickups that I am trying to achieve: a shrill, trebly, and LO FI tonality resemblant of Tom Morello(RATM/Audio Slave), Daniel Ash's(Bauhaus), Rowland S. Howard or Blixa Bargeld's(The Birthday Party), East Bay Ray's(The Dead Kennedys), or various like guitarists'(most of which using Fender: Telecasters, Jaguars, and/or Mustangs).
[MEDIA]http://www.voxamps.co.uk/downloads/audio/Pedals/Cooltron_Bulldog_8.mp3[/MEDIA]
Would coil tapping be recommended for this project, and if possible, could someone provide a description of coil tapping installation(links are always appreciated)?

My primary concerns are achieving the desired tones, cutting through aggressive slap bassist, and maintaining a magnetic field extremely capable of feedback, all with a unique voicing. In the near future I will be purchasing a new amp head to make my primary, which is liable to be a Marshall JCM 800(which I am not positive how to describe the equalization of). At this, I intend to further direct the signal into two separate guitar and bass cabinets. Mind you shred oriented recommendations have no applicability to my playing style. As a textural guitarist I perform muted strumming, funk, industrial, and flamenco influenced chording, with a fair amount of reliance upon chord definition, texture, and high contrast value through a wah pedal.
Please offer whatever advice or opinion you can.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
To stipulate further these are the arrangements I am considering for the guitars previously described...

*#1 Les Paul(Mahogany):
**Neck: Dimarzio Tone Zone 7(Likely to Exchange)
**Bridge: Dimarzio Blaze 7 Neck(Likely to Exchange)
Liable candidate for Coil Splitting

*#2 Ibanez AX7221(Mahogany Body, Maple Neck):
**Neck: Seymour Duncan Jazz 7(Theoretical)
**Bridge: Seymour Duncan JB 7(Theoretical)
Liable candidate for piezo bridge and coil splitting

*#3 Stagemaster 7(Alder Body?, Maple Neck):
**Neck: Bare Knuckles(Custom)(seems resolved)
**Bridge: Bare Knuckles(Custom)(')
Coil Splitting & Floyd Rose I require a reliable 7 string Floyd Rose manufacturer to purchase a replacement from.

Do you imagine anyone here could offer guidance in this matter?

z712

Reaction score
There are thousands of threads like these dude. Just have a quick search and i'm sure you'll be able to find the answer to your question. ;)

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
A statement relative to my mood(please ignore entirely.)
I definitely appreciate the courtesy of a response, but if that is all the forum can offer me, I'd rather have the thread deleted. It was an investment of detail and comprehension to try to accurately describe precisely what was desired with minimal experience; but if requesting more opinionatioin from other's experience was truly not meant to be, I'll have to request that a moderator delete this thread.

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
There are thousands of threads like these dude. Just have a quick search and i'm sure you'll be able to find the answer to your question. ;)

This response was not helpful at all, and is also completely untrue. There are not thousands of threads like this. In fact this is the first time I have seen anyone say anything like this. Most of the time it's 'I need some new pickups and I want a really original sound - kinda like John Petrucci - DSonic7/Blazes and Air Norton combo' (yawn ;))

What you are asking for in the main is quite different. The initial request regarding the Les Paul Epi is a standard one. I would probably recomend the standard - Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz combo, Dimarzio Evo/AirNorton combo, or my personal favourite Bareknuckle pickups. A bit more expensive but custom wound to your requirements (and rewound if you are still not happy with the sound), which may also be helpful for your 2nd guitar request. (www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk)

Coil Tapping. Sounds like a good idea for what you want. Quite surprised you couldn't have completed a cursory Google search yourself to find things like this but hey ho ... this is a link for a site that will give you wiring diagrams. You will need to buy push/pull pots. The wiring itself is very easy.

http://mediawebsource.com/guitar/coiltap.htm

Additionally I respect your ability to utilise the English language properly unlike a lot of people who so frequently spell things incorrectly on forums, but there were one or 2 things you wrote which I thought were a bit silly.

-Being in a 'frightfully agressive ... band' - bit Pride and Prejudice isn't it? ;)

- The generally overdramatic tone of your responses. You seem a nice bloke but I just thought it was worth mentioning that because it made me laugh. Sorry I am not having a go at you I promise! :)

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
I have received infinite criticism for my manner in speech, but I can assure that it is only in good humor.

Regardless, I am extremely grateful for the advice...

As for the coil tapping, it looks as though I'll be substituting the tone pots(obsolete in my work) with toggle switches(or any relative switches), and reserving the remainder of the work for a tech.

The Epiphone Les Paul 7's pick ups have already been purchased, due to time constriction and a desire to experiment with reversed position Dimarzios'. If I find either of these dissatisfying I'll make the pickups available here first.

The second project being a tad less material, I may arrange to purchase Bare Knuckles, or something comparable. Unfortunately, I have one minor dilemma, finding their 7's. I can neither find them, nor does it seem likely that I may be aware of any pickups in their product list that fulfill my demands.
A mentionable 6 string humbucker that achieves the desired quality miraculously well is Fender's "Enforcer," if that may assist anyone.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
:lol: "infinite criticism", eh?

Any rate, I'm thinking Bare Knuckle will custom wind some pickups to your specs. See, the problem is, most people on this site aren't looking for a "lo fi" sound, so, we generally don't have much experience here. We usually want the best sounding pickups... not the worst. But if you contact Bareknuckle, and say, "Please, in your infinite wisdom and technical brilliance, wind me a pair of the absolutely shittiest, trebliest, god-awfulingest pickups for my 7-string that you concievably can" I'm sure they'll hook you up. :lol:

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
I thoroughly appreciate it, B'.

Bootsy-Collins.jpg

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Bootsy is a resplendent creature of truly infinite wisdom.

Might I add, as many will agree, the "best" pickups are only that to one's self.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I definitely appreciate the courtesy of a response, but if that is all the forum can offer me, I'd rather have the thread deleted. It was an investment of detail and comprehension to try to accurately describe precisely what was desired with minimal experience; but if requesting more opinionatioin from other's experience was truly not meant to be, I'll have to request that a moderator delete this thread.

Yikes, chill bro. ;)

*Assistance no longer required#1 Les Paul(Mahogany body):
**Neck: Tone Zone 7
**Bridge: Blaze 7 Neck
Possible Coil Splitting & Floyd Rose tremolo installation

I would absolutely, unequivically, and completely NOT recommend a Tone Zone in the neck of a 24.75" scale mahogany bodied guitar if "cut" is something you want.

Dormant's Duncan suggestions aren't bad - I've never played the Jazz, but I've heard excellent things about it. I DO, however, have a 26.5" scale mahogany guitar with a '59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge. The '59 absolutely rules in the neck, with plenty of sparkle. It's pretty bass-y under gain, however - cool for leads, but if you want to use it as a rhythm pickup you'd want a seriously bass-y bridge pickup, and then cut your bass a bit at the amp. Noodles recommends not using a '59 in a guitar with a mahogany neck (mine's maple), so finding out what the neck wood is would probably be a good idea here, in yours. Either way, a '59 or Jazz would probably kill here.

The JB is probably about 95% of what you're looking for - it's got that bridge humbucker sort of rounded treble to it, where it's not super presence-y or anything - it's fairly bright, but the upper highs sound a touch rounded off. Through a tube clean channel, it sounds positively lush - think maybe Porcupine Tree or something.

For your other guitar, I'd actually recommend singlecoils if you can do it. If the guitar has a pickguard, then wire it up accordingly - Blaze singles aren't the most organic I've played, but they'll do in a pinch. Rio Grande makes some singles which I've been told are quite a bit strattier, and I'm running a custom wound Frank Falbo in my UV, which I love but would probably be hard to find another one of (I think he's only wound a few, and most of them he uses in his guitars).

Barring that, I ran a 7620 with an AN/TZ combo in it, wired to a 3-way with a push-pull coil tap on the tone. The Air Norton sounded remarkably strat-y tapped, and the Tele DID have that "shitty in an interesting way" Telecaster like snap to it. It's no substitute to a real Tele, of course, but if you want an unusual sounding pickup then that's the way to go.

I'd say if you want to go this route, then do it with a push/pull tap, not a coil tap wired on constantly. With the tone pot in the "down" position, the 7620 I had this way was a great rock axe - the TZ is pretty muddy in mahogany, but in basswood has sort of an EVH vibe to it; not overly bright, but rich midrange and an interesting presence sizzle. The AN just rules - Petrucci uses it for a reason. It's also not particularly bright, but the harmonic responsiveness is great, and it's attack lends itself well to alternate picking. If you hard wire a tap in, you'll get the tones you're looking for, but if you do it this way (I "borrowed" the control layout from a JS-100 series guitar), then your guitar would be twice as versatile.

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
trebly and noisy? i'd say try the X2N-7 out. i've heard bad things :)

as far as having an expansive wiring configuration, i've got my RG7621 set up with two push/pull's, one on the volume, and one on the tone. pulling up on the volume changes the wiring on the Neck pickup from series to parallel, and the same goes for the tone/Bridge. the switch is a 3-way, so i get these options:

1. Bridge in series
2. Neck in series
3. Bridge in parallel
4. Neck in parallel
5. Bridge in series + Neck in series
6. Bridge in series + Neck in parallel
7. Bridge in parallel + Neck in parallel
8. Bridge in parallel + Neck in series

if you want my wiring diagram for this, let me know, i'll have it scanned (as i drew it by hand) and uploaded :yesway:

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
I would absolutely, unequivically, and completely NOT recommend a Tone Zone in the neck of a 24.75" scale mahogany bodied guitar if "cut" is something you want.

I am feeling awfully foolish about the purchase I just made. Hopefully the selection I made will be justified by the guitar's primary application in rhythm, and the remarkably bright amp I am purchasing. I certainly don't mind the 'Master of Reality' sludge, if that is what the TZ7 in mahogany provides in the way of nuisance. As for the Blaze Neck, I suppose I was truly looking to purchase the PAF 7, but I frequently find a requirement for more punch and bass in a guitar with a darker tone, so it seemed well suited for the part.(At least those were the course of my logic when selecting pickups.)

Dormant's Duncan suggestions aren't bad - I've never played the Jazz, but I've heard excellent things about it. I DO, however, have a 26.5" scale mahogany guitar with a '59 in the neck and a JB in the bridge. The '59 absolutely rules in the neck, with plenty of sparkle. It's pretty bass-y under gain, however - cool for leads, but if you want to use it as a rhythm pickup you'd want a seriously bass-y bridge pickup, and then cut your bass a bit at the amp. Noodles recommends not using a '59 in a guitar with a mahogany neck (mine's maple), so finding out what the neck wood is would probably be a good idea here, in yours. Either way, a '59 or Jazz would probably kill here.

The JB is probably about 95% of what you're looking for - it's got that bridge humbucker sort of rounded treble to it, where it's not super presence-y or anything - it's fairly bright, but the upper highs sound a touch rounded off. Through a tube clean channel, it sounds positively lush - think maybe Porcupine Tree or something.

I will definitely consider the Duncans' once it is determined how the Dimarzios' I am having installed operate for me based upon both your and Dormant's recommendation they appear a fairly reliable option. Oh yes, and that bit about the neck wood was completely essential to hear, as it is a mahogany neck if I am not mistaken.

For your other guitar, I'd actually recommend singlecoils if you can do it. If the guitar has a pickguard, then wire it up accordingly - Blaze singles aren't the most organic I've played, but they'll do in a pinch. Rio Grande makes some singles which I've been told are quite a bit strattier, and I'm running a custom wound Frank Falbo in my UV, which I love but would probably be hard to find another one of (I think he's only wound a few, and most of them he uses in his guitars).

I'd be willing to install single coils, but it seems a tremendous unlikely hood that I will be able to find an appropriate guitar with a pickguard as well, but I will modify whatever amount necessary once I have determined the priority of sound. Would you happen to have an opinion of Bare Knuckles?

Barring that, I ran a 7620 with an AN/TZ combo in it, wired to a 3-way with a push-pull coil tap on the tone. The Air Norton sounded remarkably strat-y tapped, and the Tele DID have that "shitty in an interesting way" Telecaster like snap to it. It's no substitute to a real Tele, of course, but if you want an unusual sounding pickup then that's the way to go.

I'd say if you want to go this route, then do it with a push/pull tap, not a coil tap wired on constantly. With the tone pot in the "down" position, the 7620 I had this way was a great rock axe - the TZ is pretty muddy in mahogany, but in basswood has sort of an EVH vibe to it; not overly bright, but rich midrange and an interesting presence sizzle. The AN just rules - Petrucci uses it for a reason. It's also not particularly bright, but the harmonic responsiveness is great, and it's attack lends itself well to alternate picking. If you hard wire a tap in, you'll get the tones you're looking for, but if you do it this way (I "borrowed" the control layout from a JS-100 series guitar), then your guitar would be twice as versatile.

I'll definitely lend consideration to this method.
Do you imagine you might have any sound bites of the strat or tele resembling tones(out of idle curiosity)?

trebly and noisy? i'd say try the X2N-7 out. i've heard bad things :)

As have I, and I must say that it has my attention.
Do you know of any sound bites involving it?

as far as having an expansive wiring configuration, i've got my RG7621 set up with two push/pull's, one on the volume, and one on the tone. pulling up on the volume changes the wiring on the Neck pickup from series to parallel, and the same goes for the tone/Bridge. the switch is a 3-way, so i get these options:

1. Bridge in series
2. Neck in series
3. Bridge in parallel
4. Neck in parallel
5. Bridge in series + Neck in series
6. Bridge in series + Neck in parallel
7. Bridge in parallel + Neck in parallel
8. Bridge in parallel + Neck in series

if you want my wiring diagram for this, let me know, i'll have it scanned (as i drew it by hand) and uploaded :yesway:

I truly appreciate it.
It will probably be requested once I've had a chance to see what electronics materialize.

Is this you by any chance?

jeffreybutler.jpg
well.:locked::banana::locked::banana:well.:locked::banana::locked::banana:
Silly little man, would you hesitate to doubt that I am not absolutely everyone at once?
Do not cease to question whether or not I am perhaps a fragment your own conscious identity as
well.:locked::banana::locked::banana:well?:locked::banana::locked::banana:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Do you imagine you might have any sound bites of the strat or tele resembling tones(out of idle curiosity)?

I doubt it - for what I was doing, the tele-sounding tone wasn't particularly useful, and I had this one rewired and then eventually sold it after buying a UV back when I had my old laptop, and had not yet upgraded to my current recording platform, so my recording was a little limited at the time.

:idea: Though, here's something that might interest you...

[media]http://www.drewpeterson.org/ssdotorg/comfortably_numb.mp3[/media]

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
well.:locked::banana::locked::banana:well.:locked::banana::locked::banana:
Silly little man, would you hesitate to doubt that I am not absolutely everyone at once?
Do not cease to question whether or not I am perhaps a fragment your own conscious identity as
well.:locked::banana::locked::banana:well?:locked::banana::locked::banana:

Pretentious little fucker aren't you? ;)

In answer to your preposterous statement, thanks for the advice but no I wouldn't, and I never did. :)

zimbloth

Nick // Axe Palace
Vendor
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I agree with Drew. The Tone Zone 7 is nothing like the Tone Zone 6. In my opinion the TZ7 is by far the worst aftermarket pickup of all-time. It sounds so universally bad, I can't stress enough to stay clear of that.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
I actually think this guy is the Ultimate Warrior. :lol:

I third the TZ7 comments. Piece O' Shit. (Comparatively. Still beats some stocks, and I personally think it would kill for a jazz bridge pickup.)

')