Assistance with pickups

• Thread starter Metahedron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
What might that be?

It might be a fourth-dimensional being who due to certian unforeseen irregularities in the space-time continuum manifests itself in the third dimension as a small grey pixelated box.

Alternately, it might be a inline media player that'll play a sound clip I suspect you may find mildly interesting if you click the black triangle on the left-hand side. ;)

I'm with Bob - if all you were doing was playing EVH covers all night, and you stuck it in basswood or possibly alder or ash, it'd actually probably be fairly nice. For anything else, I'd look elsewhere.

Though, as I said, split it does give you some of that trashy telecaster vibe.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
I suppose it will soon become apparent what to make of the Tone Zone 7 in mahogany...
Be it a good decision or not, I am still curious as to what any of you feel regarding the Blaze 7 Neck in bridge position on a mahogany body.

For the "tele" resembling guitar I am simply going to request Bare Knuckle's assistance; unless any of you feel a variable combination of electronics would better(less expensive or more accurate to specification) assist me.

Ridiculous as it may seem I have 2 or 3 sub $200 7's on their way to my possession as we speak. I suspect that if I am dissatisfied with any humbucker it is always an option to simply try it in another guitar.

I also appreciate the sound clip, but it is still puzzling what you mean to refer by it.
Could that be yourself playing a coil split 7?

Hmm...
I always felt the first dimension more enigmatic than the fourth, how about yourself?

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
there is no "first" dimension, unless you care to elaborate on how one dimension came before another ;)

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I also appreciate the sound clip, but it is still puzzling what you mean to refer by it.
Could that be yourself playing a coil split 7?

Even stranger - myself playing an EMG 707-equipped Schecter C7. If you're careful with the gain, they have a surprisingly single-coil like vibe.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
there is no "first" dimension, unless you care to elaborate on how one dimension came before another ;)

There is a mathematic necessity for the first dimension, but defining the quantity of dimensions we perceive in reality is still a matter to question, as the very concept of dimension is.

The pickups for my Les Paul have finally arrived, and are soon to be installed. I hadn't any awareness that there had been the option to exchange the pickups with Dimarzio based upon dissatisfaction of sound. Can anyone offer their experiences with Dimarzio's exchange?

Furthermore can anyone recommend a set of Dimarzios' with a particularly organic, rhythm, and lead character for the mahogany body?

Kagami

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Even stranger - myself playing an EMG 707-equipped Schecter C7. If you're careful with the gain, they have a surprisingly single-coil like vibe.
If I remember correctly the 85/707 has a huge midrange, and single-coils are basically all mids so it would sound somewhat similar to them.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If I remember correctly the 85/707 has a huge midrange, and single-coils are basically all mids so it would sound somewhat similar to them.

Nah, singlecoils are actually very bright with scooped low mids and a sharp upper-mid peak, to my ears. I think the 707 is essentially a very low output, singlecoil-like pickup driving a massive preamp boost. :shrug:

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Nah, singlecoils are actually very bright with scooped low mids and a sharp upper-mid peak, to my ears. I think the 707 is essentially a very low output, singlecoil-like pickup driving a massive preamp boost. :shrug:

:agreed: Totally agreed. It's a low-output, Alnico coil, without massive windings. That'd make it much more single-coily than most humbuckers. (A good thing, in my books, since I'm A) a Strat-lover at heart, and B) an active pickup fan.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Additionally Metahedron. Thank you for the negative rep re: my first response where I have actually attempted to help you.

I sincerely apologize, I was completely certain I had given you positive reputation.

It is incredibly bizarre, it appears that no matter what positive reputation I provide it leaves a white insignia rather than a green one...
Could this be neutral reputation?
What should I be doing?

Makelele

Reaction score
Dormant, he didn't give you negative rep. It shows up as a gray bar because he hasn't been here long himself for it to give you any reputation points.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Additionally Metahedron. Thank you for the negative rep re: my first response where I have actually attempted to help you.

It might not be negative rep - the white dot simply means that the member doesn't have enough reputation, relative to yours, to leave you reputation. It's some sort of a weighting thing. Reading it, he could be sincerely thanking you and trying to leave you positive rep, or being sarcastic and trying to leave you negative rep. I just can't tell.

EDIT - In the future, I will strive to read the entire thread before posting responses. :wallbash:

Dormant

Wanker
Reaction score
Dormant, he didn't give you negative rep. It shows up as a gray bar because he hasn't been here long himself for it to give you any reputation points.

You are of course correct, and I apologise for throwing my toys out of the pram. :)

It might not be negative rep - the white dot simply means that the member doesn't have enough reputation, relative to yours, to leave you reputation. It's some sort of a weighting thing. Reading it, he could be sincerely thanking you and trying to leave you positive rep, or being sarcastic and trying to leave you negative rep. I just can't tell.

Yeah, I couldn't tell either - it was the use of the word 'critical' - I got a bit lost. :lol:

EDIT: Now I feel bad because someone gave me positive rep when I didn't deserve it. :lol:

[action=Dormant] is only joking. He always deserves positive rep ... and probably some negative rep for being such a wanker.[/action]

Leon

{##[====:::.
Contributor
Reaction score
leftImage.jpg

dpm

Oni Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want to get a nasty trashy tele tone from a HB, try wiring it in either single coil or parallel. Parallel will still be humcancelling, single coil won't. Use the brightest humbucker you can find, maybe an Evo 7. Alternatively it is possible to wire the coils so they are electrically out of phase with each other which will give a particularly shite sound. Adding an EMG PA2 preamp to a passive eliminates cable capacitance and can result in a harsh, nasty tone too.
Finally, I can vouch for BareKnuckle's quality and service if you choose to go that route :yesway:

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
You've all been incredibly helpful, and this thread has grown remarkably thorough to the successive apprehension of the passage I now feel necessary.

For the Les Paul, it looks as though I will have to waltz with Dimarzio's exchange to determine what it is that I want.
In case the forum has any more to share, my objectives here are simply to achieve an authentic Les Paul sound: fat, dark, rich, and organic.

I am receiving another Mahogany body 7 string(Ibanez AX7221), and it is with this that I am try to achieve the nastiest degree of rhythm oriented bassy punch with a contrast of clean and organic sound(extremes of chaos and discipline.) Any takers?

Most recently I received a Stagemaster 7(to be heavily modified), which sounds to have an alder body(there is no available stipulation as to what it truly is), with 24 frets and a Floyd Rose nut and bridge. It sounds miraculous in its current configuration, but I am utilizing its bright body wood to house the bare knuckles(with its stock pickups it already manages to achieve an "out of phase" strat' sound). It is in this cirtcumstance feel you've all provided a fairly accurate description of what I should approach Bare Knuckles with. Oddly enough it is here that I must request to know: What Floyd Rose parts manufacturer you would recommend for quality purposes? The factory parts are completely miserable(please provide a link if the forum addresses this elsewhere).

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
A Squier Stagemaster sounding "miraculous"? I have one, and I wouldn't go that far. The stock pickups are utter garbage. (Mine currently sounds pretty decent, but it has some good pickups.

If we give you Floyd Rose info, will you promise to start talking and typing like a normal human being? :wallbash:

That being said, go with an OFR 7, if you're talking about replacing the bridge. (I'm not sure what your question is about here, referencing the Floyd shit.)

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Thank you for the quick response.:banana:
Alright, "miraculous" is a definite leap, I'd only meant to refer to the amount I could detect beyond the stock pickups, and its suitability for the sound I am trying to create.
I will try to keep my speech versatile for everyone's sake.
...and yes, I had been referring to the Floyd Rose bridge and nut, and I will be considering an Original Floyd Rose(that is what you meant, right?)

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Yep. It's one of the best bridges around. lemmee see if I can dig up a link...

Here ya go! You can't beat these, really.

http://guitarpartsdepot.com/Merchan...de=FRO-TS-7&Category_Code=Floyd-Rose-Tremolos

Looks like they only have gold in stock now, but I've seen black and chrome there.

Put some new pickups in the Squier, and they don't sound bad at all. I have a Dimarzio Blaze and a Seymour Dincan JB-7 in mine, and it really has a neat tone. The alder body is really birght and sorta "spongy." Gives it a neat feel for leads.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you just want the LP to sound like a LP, then a Tone Zone 7 really isn't a bad bet. It pains me to say this, but... :lol:

')