Assistance with pickups

• Thread starter Metahedron
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
If you just want the LP to sound like a LP, then a Tone Zone 7 really isn't a bad bet. It pains me to say this, but... :lol:

I really ought to have said that prior.:wallbash:

What is thought of the arrangement of the pickups I chose?
Nothing has been said about the Blaze Neck in bridge position, or its combination with the Tone Zone 7.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
:wallbash: I forgot you were using the TZ7 as a neck.

I used to have a 2027 with a TZ7 in the neck - at least I thought it was one. I was told it was a PAF when I bought it, but the DP number seemed a better match for a PAF. Anyway, it wasn't too bad as a neck pickup - nothing really jumps out at me in retrospect, save that it didn't bother me like the bridge did.

The Blaze neck in the bridge is supposed to be an awesome pickup for metal rhythm with great definition - I've never played it, and it might not be very LP-ish, but it should be very useable, if not exactly what you're looking for.

Of course, if it isn't, there's no reason you couldn't just switch them - a TZ7 in the bridge is like a more powerful, middier PAF-style pickup, while the Blaze neck is essentially a slightly juiced version of the Dimarzio PAF anyway.

jim777

Seen all good people
Forum MVP
Reaction score
I think you should consider hunting down a Metasonix TX-1 pedal. There are likely a few still around, and may allow you the freedom of sound choice you desire.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
I think you should consider hunting down a Metasonix TX-1 pedal. There are likely a few still around, and may allow you the freedom of sound choice you desire.

Its terribly amusing, but I'm afraid there is nothing to be gained in purchasing one.
After all, for the the sake of achieving as much, you can simply super drive a solid state's transistors to their very limit, and leave nothing but treble.

There has been an audio clip added to the original post.

Metahedron

((952)³ + (-951)³)
Reaction score
Returning to this thread:
I have installed the Dimarzios into my Les Paul and have determined them well suited for my style, but I feel the Blaze Neck to be a bit devoid of character(but I have a solution that I will elaborate in moments).

The resolution to my original problem disturbingly simple in nature. Although the timbre of a pickup is fairly essential to resolving my problems, it looks as though the definitive solution would be to add a treble-boosting capacitor to the bridge humbucker. I was truly just looking for a tinny and metallic tonality, and as it turns out, Fender (the devious little fuckers!) achieves this by adding a capacitor to each of the guitars I recognized as desirable in sound(this was apparently essential to their allure with their first release: the tele).

So it looks as though I need a wiring schematic for the treble boost, and perhaps a switch to engage and disengage it(much like the Fender Jaguar). Please surrender any that you come across directly to me.

This is a fairly novice question, but what is the difference between parallel and series in sound? I cannot seem to find an accurate description or media clips.

The Dark Wolf

Contributor
Reaction score
Parallel sounds more like a single coil (thinner in character, brighter, less bass). No hum, however.

Series is full humbucker mode, and it sounds darker, louder, and bassier.

That's it in a nutshell, for practical purpose. 'Series' and 'parallel' denote electrical wiring states for the pickups, that you can look at here.

jorgercrosa

Reaction score
Hey!

I apologize for the bump from the dead, but this thread right here addresses exactly what I am looking for: other people's experience with the Tone Zone on the neck of a heavy mahogany body.

I realize that the TZ6 (apparently) is a lot better and quite different than the TZ7, but I intend to use my spare TZ6 on the neck of a guitar tuned to B standard, using it for clean passages in the Jazz Fusion environment. I aim to achieve the same full sound you were after, shredding is not the (main) purpose at all.

If the thread creator actually went through with it, I would love to hear your comments. And also would love to hear your drum and bass oriented project, with flamenco influences. =-)

Regards from Brazil!

J.

')