At a crossroads for the last 7 I may buy for quite awhile.

• Thread starter Funleash
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Funleash

Reaction score
So I've recently decided that I have more important things to use my money on than guitars (blasphemous, I know), and I'm going to stick with what I have, a six and a seven.

...but I just need one more to satisfy my GAS, and I've narrowed it down to three choices.

1) LTD AW-7: Basically, I've heard almost nothing but positives for this guitar on this site and elsewhere. I really like its looks, too, and it is under my budget of "around $1000" new. The only thing I'm not sure about is the 25.5 scale, as the only 7's I've played had 26.5 and 27 scale. Is it much of a difference?

2) A used RGD2127z: I haven't heard as much about this one in terms of how good it is, but it's a Prestige, and the one Ibanez I've played before was a prestige (don't remember which model), and it was easily the best 6 string I've played. The RGDs are also the best looking Ibbys imo. REgarding the trem, I've never had a guitar with a trem, and it would be cool to try one out (and block it if I didn't like it), especially since I've been really into Paul Wardingham and Scar Symmetry lately, and they do a lot of trem stuff. That said, a trem (or lack thereof) wouldn't make or break the purchase.

3) A used Carvin 7 string: Now, I heard many great things about Carvin here, and they do look very nice, but looks might not matter as much if I'm looking for a used one, since they vary quite a bit, what with being customized and all. And... well, I don't have much else to say about that, other than I've heard that they're very nice guitars. Although I may say that if I got a Carvin I'd rather have it customized to my own wants, but that wouldn't be able to happen for quite some time.

tl;dr: LTD AW-7 v. used RGD2127z v. used Carvin 7

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
A carvin hands down.
I've onwed high end ltd's and prestige 7's, I've sold them all an kept d carvin, you just get better specs and building quality.
Find a 727 that suits you and won't need another 7.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
I know it's not really a direct answer to your question, but Carvin is doing a special right now where they'll take up to $100 off any customizations to your guitar. You could stay pretty close to that "around $1000" budget on a new 7-string Carvin if you don't spring for the pricey stuff like AAAA maple top, triple burst, etc.

Wish I could be of help on your presented options but I've never played that LTD and I avoid Ibbys due to disliking their necks.

Funleash

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know about the $100 dollars off thing, but this purchase still might not happen until late July/early August, so I don't know if that deal is a lasting thing.

And still, while I said my budget is "around 1000", cheaper would be much preferred. I really don't have much extra money to spend, so while I could afford a custom Carvin (with cheaper options), it would be harsh on my bank account. Perhaps I should have said "under $1000".

broj15

Reaction score
After playing a carvin 7 string and owning the rgd I would stick with the rgd. The carving was beautiful and was obviously a high quality instrument for the price but the 25.5" scale turned me off and the neck was a little more round/ not quite as flat as I usually prefer. I can't say to much as far ad the aw7 is concerned, but I have played Ltd's in that price range and they all felt pretty cheap compared to a prestige or a carvin.

InfinityCollision

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know about the $100 dollars off thing, but this purchase still might not happen until late July/early August, so I don't know if that deal is a lasting thing.

And still, while I said my budget is "around 1000", cheaper would be much preferred. I really don't have much extra money to spend, so while I could afford a custom Carvin (with cheaper options), it would be harsh on my bank account. Perhaps I should have said "under $1000".
Had a feeling that would be the case, but thought I'd throw it out there anyway. Wish I could be of more help, but good luck on your guitar hunt!

')