At The Gates "At War With Reality" is complete! October 27/28 (EU/US)

• Thread starter Sofos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ayaotd

Reaction score
I'm actually embarrassed that this post is what got me to go back and listen to At The Gates, Slaughter of the Soul. I feel as if it influenced the majority of the metal/deathcore I listened too over the past (either directly or indirectly). How did I miss ever listening to this? New album should be interesting... As a very new fan lol

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
I can't wait for this!!! I got my ticket to see them in January aswell.

flavenstein

Reaction score
I'm actually embarrassed that this post is what got me to go back and listen to At The Gates, Slaughter of the Soul. I feel as if it influenced the majority of the metal/deathcore I listened too over the past (either directly or indirectly). How did I miss ever listening to this? New album should be interesting... As a very new fan lol

That's no reason to be embarrassed! In this day and age we are subjected to so many bands and genres of music that I'd say it's lucky you got around to it at all.

You should listen to Terminal Spirit Disease too. The albums before that one are still good but they are a much different style.

wankerness

Reaction score
I listened to "The Red in the Sky is Ours" the other day for the first time, that was one nasty record. Did they have any precursors in this genre? If not, it's pretty nuts how they were so fully formed all the way back in 1992, in some respects it's a more complex album than Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul.

jay moth

Reaction score
I'd rather hear new Disfear album, than another unnecessary comeback (new Carcass, anyone?). I always liked Mr. Lindbergs vocals, but I never liked "Gothenburg death metal".

Am I the only one who thinks that way? On this forum, probably yes. Best case scenario, I'm in minority. Oh well.

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
in some respects it's a more complex album than Terminal Spirit Disease and Slaughter of the Soul.

in most respects it indeed is, it's a pretty imaginative, complex yet empassionately dark album that still fascinates me every time i listen to it, almost 10 years later...

Deep Blue

Reaction score
In my estimation TRITSIO is one of the greatest death metal albums ever recorded.

Endnote

Reaction score
I'd rather hear new Disfear album, than another unnecessary comeback (new Carcass, anyone?). I always liked Mr. Lindbergs vocals, but I never liked "Gothenburg death metal".

Am I the only one who thinks that way? On this forum, probably yes. Best case scenario, I'm in minority. Oh well.

I would love to hear a new Disfear album, possibly more than the new ATG. Anything with Lindberg has generally caught my attention though.

Mprinsje

st. anger ain't bad!
Reaction score

*disfear*

Oh man i would love that, Disfear is awesome

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
The album leaked earlier today (no, I will NOT supply links) and it is fantastic. Definitely going to be on repeat for the foreseeable future (or until Z2 comes out, then they will be flip flopping)

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
Who's catching these guys on their tour? I'm positively seeing them in december in Hamburg in Germany

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
The vocals are kind of ruining it for me, honestly.

He's been doing more hardcore style vocals as of late, which goes great with Disfear, Lock Up, and all the other stuff he's doing, but I was hoping he would revert back to the snarl of old at the gates and more metal style vocals.

Sofos

СофоƆ
Reaction score
The vocals are kind of ruining it for me, honestly.

He's been doing more hardcore style vocals as of late, which goes great with Disfear, Lock Up, and all the other stuff he's doing, but I was hoping he would revert back to the snarl of old at the gates and more metal style vocals.

maybe he can't anymore. That was like 20 years ago.

ayaotd

Reaction score
First 30 seconds of War With Reality go so ....ing hard.

tian

Reaction score
I've got this on loop right now and I just can't believe how good it is. So many riffs and moments that make you just go "fvck..."

abandonist

Banned
Reaction score
As someone that saw them on their first ever US date at Nemesis in Ft Lauderdale with Dissection and Morbid Angel, this is rather disappointing.

It's ok. That's all it is though.

"Nausea... oh sweet nausea," this is not.

2/5 - Would Not Head Bang.

DLG

not guthrie govan
Reaction score
maybe he can't anymore. That was like 20 years ago.

yeah, that's a given. but to me that's the vocal style that I really equate with the early and best swedish melodic death metal. it was the template that even dark tranquility and in flames pretty much lifted for their earlier albums - that sort of raspy, angry vocal.

listening to this voice over these riffs, unfortunately, the first association is us metalcore with wimpy hardcore screamers.

the music is pretty ace though, very obvious from the first note that they still have it and that they pretty much invented this style that everyone and their mother have borrowed since.

jeff walker sounds the same as he did in carcass 20 years ago, but tompa had like 57 bands in between this and the last at the gates album, so it's understandable that the sound of his vocals changed.

DigiV

Reaction score
I've heard the new album and i enjoyed it immensely. I hope they keep at it because they just manage to put out the best sound.

Seriously, how do they do it? No matter if they're recording shit in the early 90s with a metal zone or now with high end gear their tone always sounds so good.

Anyone know what they used for this album? It sounds like an EVH III + ENGL fireball

any thoughts?

As someone that saw them on their first ever US date at Nemesis in Ft Lauderdale with Dissection and Morbid Angel, this is rather disappointing.

It's ok. That's all it is though.

"Nausea... oh sweet nausea," this is not.

2/5 - Would Not Head Bang.

Are you trolling? lol, you obviously know how old these guys are. For them to be putting out such a tight and still technical release like this is a testament to how good they actually were, and still are.

...., if Metallica had just .01% of this musical sustainability they'd still be relevant.

wankerness

Reaction score
Are you trolling? lol, you obviously know how old these guys are. For them to be putting out such a tight and still technical release like this is a testament to how good they actually were, and still are.

That defense makes it sound like "it's not good unless you know how old they are, then it's impressive cause good for those old guys." Is the music able to stand on its own or is it just good cause of nostalgia/affirmative old person action? :p Now I have to listen to this!

EDIT: Listening to it now. Some of it really does sound like At the Gates and is awesome and a direct continuation of their old stuff, some of it sucks though. "Death and the Labyrinth" for example is terrible. Riffs like the intro of "Conspiracy and the Blind" though are just as awesome as their most iconic old riffs (ex the main riffs of Terminal Spirit Disease or The Swarm or Blinded by Fear).

')