At the Gates

• Thread starter ridner
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

revclay

Reaction score
At the Gates were one of the first true metal bands I really got in to. Blinded by Fear was the first song I heard by them and I was hooked instantly. Slaughter of the Soul is one of the most perfect metal albums ever recorded, imo. The drumming is fantastic, the guitars sound mean and the songs are fantastic. I really like the rest of their stuff for different reasons, but Slaughter of the Soul will always have a special place in my heart.

etiam

Reaction score
Their last record, predictably, was the first one I bought, but its their first two records that put them into the pantheon for me. Yes, an infinite number of bands have copied 'Slaughter...', but barely anyone has even attempted to mimic the early days with Alf, because you simply cannot. That material is so eldritch and haunting.

Seeing them live was also pretty special. Can't believe that was already two years ago...

Variant

Banned
Reaction score
All I have to say about At The Gates (and by sonic proxy, Carcass), is this important little tale:

It's 1995-ish. A young, coming-of-age metal fan raised on Sepultura, Megadeth, Death Angel, and Slayer finds himself at a fork in the road. To the left is a um... "field of corn", and in it is a group of sloppily stoned young men clad in track suits, slogging out slow, clunky rock whilst a whiny kid pseudo-raps over it... and to right, are a set of... um, "gates" and and these guys are behind them:

I turned right. :agreed:

OmertaDave

Reaction score
Utterly amazing band, Slaughter of the soul is one of the few albums that i can keep coming back to. :hbang:

Banana Wedgie

Bored 13 year old
Reaction score
I love At The Gates, shame that they had finished their reunion tour by the time I found them out (I think I was about 4 or 5 months out...)

I see Carcass's Heartwork got alot of mention in this thread, that is better than At The Gates stuff to my ears.

My favourite At The Gates song, unbelievably is And The World Returned. The accoustic instrumental on Terminal Spirit Disease... (hardcore eh?) Odd that one.

Ironically, another instrumental, The Flames of The End, is one of my favourites by them.

Esp Griffyn

Play more music
Reaction score
I blew the dust off my "Slaughter of the soul" disc recently after hearing that track in GTA: The lost and the damned.

Ridiculously good band, but the amazing innovation and catchiness they had was totally lost as split and half reformed as the haunted and changed their diection. They were amazing. That is all that need be said.

Origin

Rainbow In The Dark
Reaction score
Suicide Nation's main riff is one of my favourite riffs of all time. :yesway:

')