Atomic Amps...?

• Thread starter Mark. A
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mark. A

gang* 4 lyfe
Contributor
Reaction score
hey guys, don't know if any of you have seen these but they look mad...
Thought I'd share because I plan to run my PODXT through it...

www.atomicamps.com

mt40n4.jpg

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

j7899

Reaction score
I have had one for about a year and a half, very good amp. My Schecter C-7 Blackjack sounds better through it than any of my other guitars, but they all sound really good.

LordOVchaoS

NUDE MAN!
Forum MVP
Reaction score
These have actually been out for quite a while. Some people over at the Line 6 forums swear they couldn't live without one now that they've tried it.

I'm happy with running the POD through my effects return but if I had a POD and not an amp I would definately consider getting one!

giannifive

Occasional Poster
Contributor
Reaction score
LordOVchaoS said:
I'm happy with running the POD through my effects return but if I had a POD and not an amp I would definately consider getting one!
Same here, FX return for me.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
When I first heard about them I thought they were a really good idea, but the more I thought about it the more they seemed unnecessary. They play on the idea that modelers need something extra to make them complete, which they don't in my opinion (and the opinion of all the engineers and studio owners who have them).

I would rather spend the same amount of money on a decent cab with Celestions and a higher powered clean solid state power amp. The only thing I like about the Atomics is the cool little mounting bracket they have for the modeler. I'd probably try to build one onto my cab. :cool:

XEN

BEYOND 6UITAR & B4SS
Contributor
Reaction score
I've had mine for over a year now. While I don't swear by it (since it is no Mesa Mark IV), I will say that it is a perfect companion to my XT Live. I actually mounted my HUSH pedal and BBE DI100X in the removable modeler bay. It's not that modelers don't need anything else to be complete, it's that no matter how loud you crank them, if you're not plugged into anything, YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM! I know, I know, that was not what you meant...

It is an inexpensive tube combo amp made to amplify anything you put into it, not just modelers. I don't even use an amp model on the POD for my 7 string. So far the best settings I've found for my 7 are with the model of the Boss Metal Zone and some parametric EQ. I add a V30 412 cab model to the mix and it is just about right.

That being said, the Atomic would be perfect to amplify a chain of basic effect pedals since that's basically what I'm modeling for my 7! A couple of Digitech X-series pedals in the Atomic's loop and you have yourself an awesome sounding, LOUD, inexpensive tube combo rig. Granted, you could get yourself a stereo Mesa 20/20 and 212 cab for the price of 2 Atomics, and that is what I would have done if I had had $1k on hand at the time, but for $499, I thought I got a good deal and I do not regret it.

Side note, I put mine in a wood cabinet on casters from IKEA. I think I have the only IKEA amp rig out there!

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
four_hz_at_140_db said:
I've had mine for over a year now. While I don't swear by it (since it is no Mesa Mark IV), I will say that it is a perfect companion to my XT Live. I actually mounted my HUSH pedal and BBE DI100X in the removable modeler bay. It's not that modelers don't need anything else to be complete, it's that no matter how loud you crank them, if you're not plugged into anything, YOU CAN'T HEAR THEM! I know, I know, that was not what you meant...

It is an inexpensive tube combo amp made to amplify anything you put into it, not just modelers. I don't even use an amp model on the POD for my 7 string. So far the best settings I've found for my 7 are with the model of the Boss Metal Zone and some parametric EQ. I add a V30 412 cab model to the mix and it is just about right.

That being said, the Atomic would be perfect to amplify a chain of basic effect pedals since that's basically what I'm modeling for my 7! A couple of Digitech X-series pedals in the Atomic's loop and you have yourself an awesome sounding, LOUD, inexpensive tube combo rig. Granted, you could get yourself a stereo Mesa 20/20 and 212 cab for the price of 2 Atomics, and that is what I would have done if I had had $1k on hand at the time, but for $499, I thought I got a good deal and I do not regret it.

Side note, I put mine in a wood cabinet on casters from IKEA. I think I have the only IKEA amp rig out there!

Used like that, I totally see the value in them. If I was looking to amplify my modeled tones, I would just want a good cab and clean power. What you're using it for brings the tone of the Atomic itself more into the equation, and that's a whole different ball game.

Glad you like yours! Honestly, in thinking about how to amplify my PODxt, the clean power amp and cab sounds good but another thought I had was to just get a self powered PA speaker and run the modeler into it with the cab models on and everything. Then I wouldn't need to worry about the real cab changing things either, and it's what a lot of guys do at gigs anyway, just running the modeler into the PA.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
I think the route I'll go for a live rig is the XT Live with a Tech21 Power Engine 300, with an Avatar cab using 150w Eminence speakers. The PE and Avatar will be clean power.

I was going to go for the Carvin TS100, but it's gotten really bad reviews as far as reliability.

Jeff

Banned from Reality
Reaction score
Mark. A said:
If I was to go POD >Power amp > cab, what poweramp would be good for say 500?

I think Shannon's using a Mosvalve, and I'll be getting a tech 21 PE 300, once i unload my spider II and regular XT.

Mind Riot

Devoted seven stringer
Contributor
Reaction score
If you want solid state, I'd get a Carvin DCM600 for $300 brand new. Tough, reliable clean power. And when it comes to solid state power, it's better to overpower than underpower, so even though 600 watts sounds like a lot it's really not. At 8 ohms it's like 225 watts a channel.

')