Attempting the Metallica rhythm tone...

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Hey all,

This was fun! So I made an attempt at recreating the Metallica James Hetfield rhythm crunch tone. Not a tone based on a specific album but perhaps a nice blend of the old and new stuff. I wanted the rig to be simple, so no amp blending etc. and I think I came pretty close!

I used my ESP LTD Iron Cross with the EMG Hetset, an obvious choice from my guitar collection. For the amp tones I chose the Mesa Boogie Mark V 35! The only amp in my collection that can do that 'Mesa Mark tone'. I think both the guitar and amp did a great job here! What do you think?

Also, have you ever nailed a Metallica tone with your gear? I would love to hear some clips!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

guitar_player4_2_0

Reaction score
Sounds great! I have an Iron Cross and it’s one of my favorite guitars, plays great and the Het Set really kicks out some great tones. Great job explaining the EQ section on those Mesas also, I had a Single Rec back in the day and never got on with it. I’ve been wanting to try a Mark for a long time though, and videos like these sure don’t help lol.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
It may not sound exactly like Metallica's tone like you keep saying but, tbh, it sounds basically just as good. If Metallica used your settings and rig to record their next album I doubt anyne would complain. Great job man.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Thanks for doing this. I'll copy your settings on my jp2c! I also use HetSets and they jive perfectly with Mark amps. They are thick and huge sounding but still cuts through the mix.

I'd expect the JP2C to sound chunkier by default so it will probably sound even better!

Sounds great! I have an Iron Cross and it’s one of my favorite guitars, plays great and the Het Set really kicks out some great tones. Great job explaining the EQ section on those Mesas also, I had a Single Rec back in the day and never got on with it. I’ve been wanting to try a Mark for a long time though, and videos like these sure don’t help lol.

It's a sweet guitar right? And those pickups rock!

It may not sound exactly like Metallica's tone like you keep saying but, tbh, it sounds basically just as good. If Metallica used your settings and rig to record their next album I doubt anyne would complain. Great job man.

Thank you! :)

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score
I'd expect the JP2C to sound chunkier by default so it will probably sound even better!

It will sound chunkier, for sure. But the Jp has a lot of mid content even when I scoop the 750 out. It sounds more modern than a 2c++. I think the Mark IVa does the best Metallica tones in the Mark family. It can go from Master, Justice, and Black easily. The simulclass helps with the sound.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
It will sound chunkier, for sure. But the Jp has a lot of mid content even when I scoop the 750 out. It sounds more modern than a 2c++. I think the Mark IVa does the best Metallica tones in the Mark family. It can go from Master, Justice, and Black easily. The simulclass helps with the sound.

I would LOVE to own a Mark IV one day... Did James ever use one?

Werecow

Reaction score
I don't know if he owned one, but in the making of documentary for the black album, James and Bob Rock are listening to some of the individual guitar tracks for a song (out of the many layers), and Bob Rock says "this must be the Mark IV" in response to the tone.

MASS DEFECT

SS.ORG Infiltrator
Reaction score

Yes, I believe there's a Mark IV somewhere in the Black Album. But who knows really. The guitar tracks were heavily layered.

Further proof that the Mark IV does the best Metallica impressions throughout the eras is Matt's (Theocracy) Youtube video.

I believe that's also a HetSet equipped guitar.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score

I've read there might be a IV somewheres in there. But FWIW it's just a sweet amp period. Totally worth it alone just because it's all over those first 4 Sevendust records and the Dark New Day album. Not to mention a bunch of other stuff like Chevelle and Dream Theater.

But yeah related to the video, it does sound a bit like Load/Reload, which makes sense because Het used his Mark IIC++ on Load while Kirk used a Recto.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I've read there might be a IV somewheres in there. But FWIW it's just a sweet amp period. Totally worth it alone just because it's all over those first 4 Sevendust records and the Dark New Day album. Not to mention a bunch of other stuff like Chevelle and Dream Theater.

But yeah related to the video, it does sound a bit like Load/Reload, which makes sense because Het used his Mark IIC++ on Load while Kirk used a Recto.

Whoops, meant to say Mark IV somewhere in The Black Album. I'm guessing James was POSSIBLY using either a prototype or early-run IV just because they sent him one. I believe he was also sent a III for AJFA.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Whoops, meant to say Mark IV somewhere in The Black Album. I'm guessing James was POSSIBLY using either a prototype or early-run IV just because they sent him one. I believe he was also sent a III for AJFA.

Bob Rock said in an interview recently (tone talk) that James used a Mark III for the black album.

4Eyes

Reaction score
Bob Rock said in an interview recently (tone talk) that James used a Mark III for the black album.
I guess, in the end, in the band context Mark model doesn't matter that much, anything from Mark IIc and later will deliver Metallica rhythm crunch, the rest is in Het's right hand.