ATTN: Anyone with Jackson CS Knowledge!!!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Note: I will edit this with pics, and I'm cross-posting on ss.org after just in case there's someone there who can help too.

So, I have this beautiful Hamer USA Studio Custom that I bought. Absolutely fantastic guitar, tone to the bone, quality instrument, looks gorgeous. The only issue? Well, that neck, it's just... missing something. My friend's LTD MH-1000 with the Thin-U profile feels better, and balances a little more to my tastes.

So after a month of fooling around with strap height, and just trying to love the guitar more, it's not working out. The guitar is on the FS/FT chopping block on a canadian forum, as well as being privately listed.

I was perusing a "local" used gear site, and found this:
"Jackson USA Custom Shop Carve Top limited 28/30 Up for sale is a mint limited edition 2002 Jackson USA custom shop carve top with hand written 28/30 on the back of the headstock, made in Ontario, California. Features are: 1-piece Honduras mahogany body; ¾ inch thick bookmatched flame maple top; bolt-on bird-eye maple neck with 22 frets; Brazilian rosewood fingerboard with “piranha tooth” mother of pearl inlays; 25.5 inch scale; string-thru-body construction; 2 Seymour Duncan custom humbucker pickups; one volume control, one tone control and a 3-way pickup selector. It comes with its original G&G hardshell case and all the tags including life-time warranty. $2100" found here TheOM - Equipment

j1.jpg

j2.jpg

j3.jpg

j4.jpg

n1.jpg

n2.jpg

n3.jpg

Based on these pictures, do you think it's a custom shop instrument? It looks like it could be, that's for sure. I'm not sure if it's a dinky or a soloist model, and totally forgot to ask the seller. There is a picture of the plate, but it doesn't show enough detail :(.

I asked for the serial number, a better shot of the plate, and a picture of the proof of CS - just waiting for a reply now. I'm hoping someone can help me out by way of the pictures though :)

I'm hoping for a trade + a wee bit o' cash on my end, if I like the neck on the thing lol. Hopefully I'll at least get to try it out!

Thanks guys!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
:wub: That's custom shop. I certainly don't recall seeing that among their production models. The only thing I'd question are the "Duncan custom" pickups. My guess is that they're either 59's or JB/Jazz. Either way, I'm sure the thing oozes tone.

Dinky means bolt-on, Soloist means neck-thru. So that'd be a Dinky archtop.

In general, USA Jackson, whether custom or production = :yesway::yesway::yesway:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I've found out that if the serial number is 4 digits long its CS, if its 6 it's production. This guitar still may be worth it's asking price, since it's a limited run.

I'm waiting for more info from the seller, asked for serial, pics of the tags and the plate.

it's a looker though, that's for sure.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
i dont have 'em, they're not posted yet either. the guy who's got 'em happens to be one town over, whereas pretty much everything else is a 4-hour round trip or shipping.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
it looks good, but he's asking way too much for it. they sold new for $1500USD, he wants $2100CAD...

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
Looks freakin gorgeous, but overpriced like he said in the post above. Plus I couldn't imagine spending that when you could get a new custom bolt-on for $400 less with the case from Rico Jr.
shrug.gif

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
still waiting for an answer to my emails i sent him..

may very well end up with 2 gibsons lol

Reaction score
Looks freakin gorgeous, but overpriced like he said in the post above. Plus I couldn't imagine spending that when you could get a new custom bolt-on for $400 less with the case from Rico Jr.
shrug.gif

With an arched figured maple top like that and a birdseye maple neck? I doubt it. But correct me if I'm wrong!

It's inflation. I got a soloist for 1200 back in the day. Now they're like 1800. :noplease:

Still, I think that Jackson for the Hamer is quite a fair trade. Both top notch American quality, both mahogany, both figured maple top, both rosewood boards, etc. Cash, I'd offer him 1800 tops. (Of course, that means I wouldn't pay more for your Hamer either! ;))

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
that is a 2002 guitar, retailing at $1500. My 2003, retail, was around $3500. However, my resale value is higher then his - someone paid $1050 for one like it in 2005, whereas in 05 pretty sure mine would resale for around $2500.

Both the guitars are quality instruments, I won't argue there - monetarily speaking, they're pretty equal as well.

I'm still just waiting to hear back from him. If I try it, and I really like it for longer then the initial "diggity!", then I'll take it - if he's willing to do the straight swap. If not, I'm gunning for 2 gibsons lol.

If my guitar said PRS on it, I could have it up for $2500 and probably get that much :lol:

100_1295.jpg

MTech

Banned
Reaction score
With an arched figured maple top like that and a birdseye maple neck? I doubt it. But correct me if I'm wrong!
I dunno about the archtop that'd prob be a little extra, but maybe not since he doesn't seem to want a trem. However it'd be able to have a a maple top and maple neck for sure.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
so buddy handled the info on his guitar very well, and with any luck I can test drive it this weekend!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
If my guitar said PRS on it, I could have it up for $2500 and probably get that much :lol:

100_1295.jpg

Ah, but there you have it. Your guitar is not a PRS, so it's not an even comparison. ;) Used Hamers don't sell for near as much as they cost new sir. You have a Hamer Studio Custom right? Here's an auction that had the BIN set @ $1050:

1998 HAMER USA STUDIO CUSTOM GUITAR CROWNED BOUND EXC!! - eBay (item 320359034108 end time May-10-09 01:10:16 PDT)

Granted the dude ended the auction early but still. :lol: I'd say it's a rather even trade honestly, but I wouldn't be expecting him to give you money on top of the trade especially since Hamer Studio Customs are pretty common and his Jackson was part of a limited run. :)

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
oh no, i told him even trade is good - if i hadnt bought the guitar, it would have sold for more then i paid for it.

Well aware about the resale, but thanks matt :)

new conundrum: I've been offered a build for her! and the neck on the jackson might be too thin, only one way to know.

I'M LOSING MY MIINDDD!

HighGain510

Contributor
Reaction score
oh no, i told him even trade is good - if i hadnt bought the guitar, it would have sold for more then i paid for it.

Well aware about the resale, but thanks matt :)

new conundrum: I've been offered a build for her! and the neck on the jackson might be too thin, only one way to know.

I'M LOSING MY MIINDDD!

If you get along with the neck on that Jackson, I'd go for that. Looks hot as heck and since it is technically a Jackson CS build it probably won't devalue too much since you're buying it used. Looks like a pretty sweet piece. Why are you moving the Hamer so quickly? Something you don't get along with about it? I'd be hesitant accepting a custom in exchange for a used guitar around the $1K price point honestly, but that's just me... :lol:

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
well matt, the hamer in question is a $1500CAD or so instrument ;)

Unfortunately, the neck doesn't fit my hand quite as well i'd like. it's really close, but not quite there. :(

I've had it almost 2 months.

')