Audio clips - EMG85 (bridge) vs. Blackouts

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
**EDIT - File link updated with audio of the neck Blackout in the bridge position and versions with just the guitars, no drums.

I quickly threw together 4 generic riffs for a 40 second recording comparing the EMG85 in the bridge position of my BC Rich Warlock Deluxe and the newly installed Duncan Blackout Bridge pickup. I will be adding audio Saturday as I will be also testing the Blackout neck pickup, which is also Alnico like the EMG85, in the bridge position. I figured why not just share what I have now anyway.

The recordings were done as so:

Mesa Triple Rectifier using Vintage gain setting going *direct out* -> audio interface -> PC. I recorded two Guitar Rig presets. The first ones up are the "New" preset I created specifically for this guitar with the EMG's. The second runs are the original Guitar Rig patch I use for my Schecter C7. It's different and not tuned for these pickups but I figured it would add a different outlook for the heck of it. Each file is clearly labeled. I did NOT yet create a Guitar Rig patch specifically for the Duncans! Please keep that in mind. I figure these two patches can at least give a good idea. Here is the link to the zip file with the 4 clips:

EMG vs Blackout test final.zip

BTW, my playing on the last riff was less tight when recording the Duncans tonight, but it's a crappy riff anyway and it will suffice for now. The drums are grooves from EZ Drummer I just quickly threw in.

Let me know what you all think so far, I'll reserve my opinions until I've done the final test Saturday with the neck Blackout in the bridge then I'll tell you all what I think.

Rev.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Hmm, no responses yet? I thought this would've come of interest to some.

Rev.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I can hear it quite clearly. I can up a version without drums on Saturday.

Rev.

Tomo009

Reaction score
They sound a lot more similar than I thought they would, seeing as so many people deem Blackouts to be so superior. From your recordings I think I prefer the way EMGs handle the low notes, sounds a little more precise, the blackouts seemed to lose a bit of the power on the sustained chords. But I think the blackouts stood a little more on the whole, seemed to have a higher mid range push that made especially that last section more defined.

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
I can hear it quite clearly. I can up a version without drums on Saturday.

Rev.

Gave them another listen through headphones, there are some slight differences, the EMG sounds a bit cleaner to me. I think the BO sounds more natural though, coming from someone who mostly uses passives.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah I too was surprised how similar they sound. I mean I definitely hear the difference and you're right, the Blackouts definitely have that extra midrange push that makes notes stick out front a bit more. I can also hear they definitely are not as compressed sounding. But the growl of the sustained chords is more ballsy IMO in the EMG clip. I'm wondering if the Alnico Blackout will match up in that department.

I just found yesterday that my favorite pickup of all time, the Duncan JB, is also Alnico V bar like the Blackout Neck so I'm quite looking forward to hearing it in the bridge Saturday.

Btw, as everyone has said the Duncans are indeed louder. I did my best to match levels in the clips. Also, like everyone else said cleans often distort slightly which is a bit of a let down, though dropping the pickup height a does fix that but it needs to be really low (nearly flush with the ring) to make all the clipping go away.

Rev.

Tomo009

Reaction score
I've never had problems with EMGs distorting on cleans with the neck pickup, it adds a little volume but the extra gain doesn't seem to push it to anywhere near breaking point for me.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I've never had problems with EMGs distorting on cleans with the neck pickup, it adds a little volume but the extra gain doesn't seem to push it to anywhere near breaking point for me.

Yeah not with EMG's, but the Blackouts do. It's a very light amount of distorted, like a low level clipping. But it's there on the Duncans unless you lower the pickup height a lot.

Rev.

Tomo009

Reaction score
Yeah not with EMG's, but the Blackouts do. It's a very light amount of distorted, like a low level clipping. But it's there on the Duncans unless you lower the pickup height a lot.

Rev.

Hmm strange, but I guess you can't always follow the hype and expect results.

Miss D Corona

Reaction score
Then again not a lot of people buy Blackouts to play clean, although I know its always nice to be able to play something other than metal...

Toshiro

Contributor
Reaction score
My neck Blackout doesn't distort my clean tones.... The bridge probably does, but I never use bridge pickups for clean.

The Duncans are supposed to be adjusted like a regular passive too, not right on the strings like an EMG.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Here's the new zip file with the Duncan Blackout neck pickup in the bridge position. Also includes guitar only versions but only with the New Preset.

EMG vs Blackout test final.zip

Looking forward to your feedback. Oh, and I must apologize for my crappy sloppy playing on that last part, didn't realize how sloppy it was till I heard the guitar only versions.

Rev.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
I'd now like to add my opinion.

I went back to the EMG 85 in the bridge and am sticking with it. It's not perfect of course but it sure is one hell of a pickup. I'm sticking with it because the growl on the sustained chords is better IMO, it's just more powerful feeling. Also, the chunk in palm mutes is cleaner. With the Duncans I feel they are a bit too crunchy and "fizzy" for my preferences. They certain have a great midrange cut that stands out and when I played that first riff I thought I was sold on the Duncans cause it sounded so good. But the fizz on the sustained chords and in the palm mutes changed my mind and the EMG open notes sounded damn good anyway.

The Blackouts are a lot less noisy than the EMG's in the hum department! Literally they have half the hum as my EMG 85. That's not as big a deal though as I have the noise gate. Standing away from the amp in the same position they actually feedback about the same. However, stand in front of the amp and the EMG squeals like crazy when the Duncan does not! So the Duncans also feedback less than the EMG.

Anyhow, I've put the 85 back in and I'm returning the Blackouts Monday. They are certainly good pickups but I just like the tone better on the EMG. So here's a quick breakdown of the cons of each IMO:

EMG 85:

Feedbacks more easily
A bit compressed sounding
Twice as noisy (hum) than Blackouts

Blackouts:

Slight breakup distortion playing clean
Fizzy sounding
Very loud, mix of pickup brands will result in a volume imbalance

This is all my personal opinion so please don't anyone get overly defensive ;)

Rev.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Any other feedback now that the extra files are in there? Even though I'm sticking with the EMG I'd still love to hear people's opinions on this, especially after doing all the work to up these clips :D

Rev.

maliciousteve

Contributor
Reaction score
I much prefered the EMG's. Not so fizzy and the open chords sounded much clearer and had more 'depth' I thought.

Rex Rocker

Reaction score
I like the EMG better too. I really like the EMG 85 in the bridge myself a lot. Like you said, not perfect, but it's still the best bridge pickup I've tried for my taste.

I personally like the 'compressed' sound of EMG's. I think it tames the low-end nicely, especially on the 85 and keeps it from going out of whack. So, for me, the 85 is just the right compromise between 'tight' and 'thick', I guess.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Not a big enough difference to merit losing any sleep over it.

Who said anything about losing sleep? Personally I think there's a big difference. If you couldn't hear it then you didn't listen carefully enough. Actually, if you think they sound very close I think that also speaks volumes.

Rev.

Latest posts