Audio Interfaces -- (HELP!) what to get, what to get

• Thread starter AgileButt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

vansinn

Reaction score
RME Fireface 400, excellent quality, includes s/pdif and lightpipe, compact, low latency, virtually zero cpu load on the pc.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

peupeu

Reaction score
hello!

be careful with firewire sound card.
your computer/laptop has to be Texas Instrument chipset fit.
if not, your soundcard will probably not work, or will have bad performance (noises, cacks,...).
this is my own experience, after buying a saffire pro 14.
My laptop hasn't a TI chipset, so I bought a firewire adapter with TI chipset, but it still doesn't work. Even the focusrite support doesn't understand what is the problem.
So I'm selling my sound card.

the USB soundcards seem to be more stable, or have less demanding connexion with PC.

BeyondDan

Beyond Fiction
Reaction score
Is it just me or every one is pushing a little bit too far?
The guy just want to track guitar/bass and some vocals...IMO the focusrite scarlett 2i2 would do this job perfectly with great quality mic preamps for about 150$

Reaction score
Hi, my two cents here

I am not a pro on this matter, but I have some experience.

1st and most important of all, just say no to ALESIS. Had one interface with great specs, but it was the worst piece of junk I've had. Simply unreliable.

After saying that no, think on USB or FIREWIRE? There are several options on budget sound cards with good specs. I was also dealing with Presonus or Focusrite. I chose Presonus, twice. My first time I got a FireStudio Mobile: firewire, 2 pre+6 line ins+2 SPDIF. Wonderful piece of gear, small, affordable within your price range, powered by the computer, I ran it on my desktop. Sold one year later because I was buying a new Laptop with no firewire port. Shame on Presonus for not having an identical product for USB (22VSL or 44VSL do not compare). My second time with Presonus is the 1818vsl, USB 2.0. Needs external power (it comes with it, obviously) to power 8 pre/line inputs+blablabla... probably a little over your price range.

Overall thoughts on Presonus: built to endure, nice pres, nice software pack. May be a bit pricey when compared to similar products from other brands, but the software they offer rocks the competition out of the game, on the same price range. For now, I am sold to them.

Back on the USB/Firewire question. They say firewire is better for having a larger bandwith. USB 2.0 (This is important, notice when buying) on the other hand is better for being faster. You will find that there are no USB 3.0 sound cards on the market yet (as far as I know) nor the recent version on the firewire (thunderbolt?). Also, most brands are driving towards USB rather than firewire, possibly because laptops and desktop computers are loosing firewire connections on low to mid range models. I spent lots of time searching for different laptop brands with nice graphic, memory and processor specs at affordable prices and none had firewire ports. Price range around 1000€. Got an ASUS N53S that rocks the hell out on graphic editing and no firewire nor PCMCIA ports. The difference between this ASUS and an equivalent with same graphic, memory and processor specs with firewire port payed the 1818VSL. SO I got a better soundcard and a good laptop for a less price. If you are on the Laptop, non mac world, go USB 2.0 minimum.

MOTU, for example, are expected to be great and many of their sound cards are already hybrid USB/firewire. However are a little more expensive. I think that there are some RME also with this feature, but are a lot more expensive than MOTU. Overall, I think that the Presonus package, hardware+software rocks big time.

peupeu

Reaction score
Is it just me or every one is pushing a little bit too far?
The guy just want to track guitar/bass and some vocals...

I don't think so. because the guy wants to buy a 100-200$ soundcard.
this is a lot of money, he doesn't want to buy a 50$ soundcard.
personnally, it disgusts me to buy the saffire pro 14 (185€ or 250$) and have to sell it because my laptop hasn't the right chipset.

So if he doesn't push far his reflexions about how and what to choose as soundcard, he could live an experience such as I live with my saffire pro 14.

Reaction score
I have the 8i6 and I'm in love with it. It's up'd my recording sound by miles. However, I am using a blue spark mic on my amp and running that into my scarlett.

Since you said you're not going to be mic'ing anything, I would actually recommend the Steinberg UR22 since it has a Hi-Z switch specifically for recording guitars:

RTEmagicC_steinberg_ur22_front_mirror_01.png.png

Plus, the UR22 is only a stupidly low cost of around $150. The 8i6 is around $250 and while definitely a killer interface, it doesn't have anything specifically catering to guitar players.

Also, if you ever do plan on mic'ing anything, both interfaces have 48v phantom power (8i6 has a switch on the front for it and the UR22's switch is on the back).

From what you're describing, the UR22 is the way to go.

wilch

Reaction score
I bought the Presonus 22VSL, then "upgraded" to the Roland Quadcapture. I love the Roland.

re: On Off switch, I leave mine plugged in, and my PC is on 24x7. USB power is 5 volt, and small amps. Nothing to worry about.

Mop

Reaction score
Be careful with the saffire pro 24 for running guitars direct, mine doesn't have enough headroom for any of my humbucker equipped guitars unless I use the line level option rather than the hi z option.
You'll end up buying a separate DI box to run into the saffire, more $$

')