Audio Interfaces -- (HELP!) what to get, what to get

• Thread starter AgileButt
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AgileButt

Reaction score
mod edit: let's keep it to one thread per topic

What's up what's up, I'm new to the DIY recording game and I decided that my next purchase is going to be an audio interface. I'm willing to spend upwards of 250, MAYBE 300$, and am most concerned with the interface's ability to track guitars/bass, although I'd also like to experiment with vocals as well.

i've been browsing the web I've narrowed my selection to the following:
-Focusrite Saffire pro 24
-Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
-Presonus VSL22

...however, I am completely open to any other suggestions. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to recording hardware so these are just the few that caught my attention/seem reliable, but if there are any others that you feel are better in my price range, feel free to hollar at me.

signal chain: agile 727 >> "interface" >> DAW. and will be using either LePou or Ampire for my guitar/bass tones and superior drummer/reason for my drums, so I won't be needing to really mic anything. Everything will be strictly DI.

P.S. the vsl22 and 8i6 don't have an on/off switch, could this create any problems in the future? like i said, i'm ignorant in this field, but something just tells me that having to unplug a device while it's turned on over a period of time isn't the best thing for the hardware.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AgileButt

Reaction score
I posted this earlier under 'recording studio' so I apologize to those that have seen this twice, just wasn't sure what category this would specifically fall under..

What's up what's up, I'm new to the DIY recording game and I decided that my next purchase is going to be an audio interface. I'm willing to spend upwards of 250, MAYBE 300$, and am most concerned with the interface's ability to track guitars/bass, although I'd also like to experiment with vocals as well.

-Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
-Presonus VSL22

...however, I am completely open to any other suggestions. I'm a bit ignorant when it comes to recording hardware so these are just the few that caught my attention/seem reliable, but if there are any others that you feel are better in my price range, feel free to hollar at me.

signal chain: agile 727 >> "interface" >> DAW. and will be using either LePou or Ampire for my guitar/bass tones and superior drummer/reason for my drums, so I won't be needing to really mic anything. Everything will be strictly DI.

P.S. the vsl22 and 8i6 don't have an on/off switch, could this create any problems in the future? like i said, i'm ignorant in this field, but something just tells me that having to unplug a device while it's turned on over a period of time isn't the best thing for the hardware.

Pezshreds

SSBRO.org Regular
Reaction score
In regards to the switch, I use my interface to run the actual sound of my computer, but when I turn my PC off the interface turns off too.
One thing to make sure (Something I didn't do -.-) Is make sure that there are pads on the inputs, as I had my vocalist pop in for tracking on the weekend who I didn't realise had an insanely loud voice and was clipping the interface with the volume at the lowest.
I'm pretty bad with interfaces too, just wanted to share that information with you. All the best with the interface dude

Shask

Reaction score
I have the 22VSL. I haven't had any issues with it at all. I just plug in the usb to the computer when I plan to use it, otherwise I just leave it off/unplugged.

I liked it because it was basically the minimum that I need (2 inputs, MIDI, Headphone), so I wasn't paying for extras I wont use. I think I got it for like $170 new or something...

demoniaco

Seven strings... Yes
Reaction score
I have the roland octa capture and already ordered the studio capture, i can combine them for 20 channels total.. I LOVE IT!

Reaction score
I posted this earlier under 'recording studio' so I apologize to those that have seen this twice, just wasn't sure what category this would specifically fall under..

-Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
-Presonus VSL22

Don't play around with those budget interfaces. Work your ass off all summer and save up for an Axe-Fx II instead.

Krigsmjod

Reaction score
Presonus and Focusrite are both legit brands. You could futureproof a little more and get the bigger Focusrites (Saffire Pro 40/Scarlett 18i20) or the Presonus ones. A used Presonus Firepod/FP10/Firestudio etc can go for as low as $300.

Make sure if you buy a firewire interface that whatever computer you have or will have has firewire.

wakjob

Reaction score
I've been researching the same deal.

From what I gather, just get an interface with the best AD/DA converters. And also, one that can have the preamps bypassed via inputs.

This way, in the future you could buy a top of the line preamp like Neve for example. Which is what really counts when it comes to separating mediocre DAW/Home recordings and professional studio sounding work.

oniduder

HONKEY DONKEY
Reaction score
i own a motu 8pre and i'm very pleased with its performance

i think those may be out of your price range, so yes any of the presonus stuff is delicious

as well as the focusrite stuff, depends on what you need i suppose?

idk i didn't read much of your post, i'm an asshat like that

but yeah also check into the usb3 stuff, super quick and probably where everything is going as of late

regards

nowhere

ss.org irregular
Reaction score
i vote for scarlett. perfect preamps, usb 2.0 (no latency)
and great playback quality

presonus has that live effects feature, but i think it doesn't have the ins and outs of the other 2

morethan6

Reaction score
+1 for focusrite - I have 2 Saffire Pro 40s and they're baddass. Same guts as the 24s

Gresh

Reaction score
Not on your list, but the Apogee stuff is really solid as well. I needed something super small and portable and picked up an Apogee ONE and it's been great. Can do instrument or mic inputs and it has a built-in condenser mic that is extremely good. Their larger interfaces get a little pricey, but it's quality kit.

WarMachine

Reaction score
Another not on your list is M-Audio Fast Track. I've had it for 2 years, simple as it gets, mic gain, line in gain and monitor level gain. Oh, and i got it for like 80 bucks :lol:

kaaka

Reaction score
Think also about what computer you have. Some interfaces run a lot better on mac than PC or vice versa even tough the soundcard supports both. This because the maker have spent more time in developing good drivers for one platform.

NinjaRaf

Reaction score
I've been rocking the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 for about 7 or so months, now. Its awesome. Id highly recommend any of the Scarlett line. Mine stays plugged in all the time, without an on/off switch, but its on a computer specifically built for recording, so its not on 24/7. I dunno if that would cause any problems.

I recommend looking carefully at what you need. Does it have features you arent gonna use? Like the spdif outs? I never use that kinda shit...so it was unnecessary. Even the 2i4 had more than what I need, though apparently there are issues with the 2i2 and going direct (never had them myself, but I read about them a bunch...I record direct plenty, and it sounds great). But basically, when Im looking at this kinda gear...its low end stuff in the studio world...great for home recording, but it loses value REALLY fast...so with that in mind, Id recommend spending as little as you can get away with. The 300 dollar scarlett isnt gonna sound any better than the 150 dollar one, but itll have a bunch of extra features, which you may or may not need.

Konfyouzd

Return of the Dread-I
Reaction score
I'm rockin' a TASCAM US1800 but I think that one probably has way more inputs than what you'll need. They do make smaller ones, though.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
I've been researching the same deal.

From what I gather, just get an interface with the best AD/DA converters. And also, one that can have the preamps bypassed via inputs.

This way, in the future you could buy a top of the line preamp like Neve for example. Which is what really counts when it comes to separating mediocre DAW/Home recordings and professional studio sounding work.

This is the best way to do it! I have an Apogee Duet 2 which is great by itself but I decided to start using external preamps. I plug the preamps directly into the Duet 2, bypassing the internal pres, and use the Duet 2 for the converters.

Kaickul

ΛTRΛMΞNTVM
Reaction score
I've been using a Line 6 UX1 Studio for tracking guitar/bass/vocals and never had any problems whatsoever but then I don't need a lot of outputs because I just stick with midi controllers.

')