Audio Interfaces: What audio interface do you use?

• Thread starter Given To Fly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Given To Fly

Reaction score
This is a twin to the sample rate thread I started but might be more interesting because an audio interface is an actual piece of gear! :lol:

What audio interface do you use? Do you like it? Would recommend it to others?

I'll start:
I use an Apogee Duet 2. I love it! It has great converters, great preamps (though I use an external preamp now) and have never had any problems with it. I would only recommend it to people who needed two channels and nothing more. The Duet 2 can not be expanded like an RME. So if you need to record drums, the Duet 2 probably wouldn't be the best option.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wilch

Reaction score
Roland Quadcapture. Upgraded from a PreSonus AudioBox 22VSL.

I wanted the spdif in and out to use with Kemper re-amping, also the Presonus drivers are compromised on the PC. Roland, just works on Win7, no issues, no problems, no messing around.

Winspear

Winspear/Noisemother
Reaction score
I use an RME Multiface II.
I was attracted to RME because of their incredibly stable drivers (came from Presonus, which have entirely the opposite haha.)
It's a PCIe interface which was attractive as it's the best connection and I was getting a new tower.
Not only this, but it doesn't come with any preamps which was attractive to me as it of course lowered the price and I have (and plan to have more in the future) external preamps.
It has 8 line ins and 8 line outs, and a midi in and out. This allows me to use a few MIDI devices into a merger into the input. The multiple outs means I can have my crappy computer speakers attached too, as well as a sub headphone mix which goes to a headphone amp on one of my preamps (Focusrite ISA). Nice for recording vocalists. Then an output for reamping.
Inputs I have enough for my two mic preamps, a DI feed from one, aux from my laptop, my ipod dock, and one spare for another preamp some time.
It has a digital inputs so I can expand in the future :) I love that I can have all the various pres etc. into the analogue ins, and one day if I want to record drums I can just grab an 8 channel preamp with ADAT out (like an Octopre) and hook it up, continuing to benefit from the amazing RME Converters.
It's conversion is top quality. I know I'm capturing the best I can possibly capture with this interface.
The software mixer is incredibly flexible, allowing you to select any of the SOFTWARE inputs (what you can select in the DAW) and chose which of the PHYSICAL inputs they are reading from. Same with the outputs, you can select each physical output and chose which Software output name is feeding it, or let them hear the physical inputs directly, etc. These are not just tickboxes but faders so you can make a mix. They can be saved as presets and bought back with one click. Not that I need those features but it would be incredibly useful were I tracking a full band where you actually need to use a mixer to satisfy them.
I recommend RME highly!

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
I use a M-Audio Fast Track Pro ... mostly because I wanted an interface that was cheap and easy. It works fine, I don't do any real serious recording these days. :)

This should be a good thread for picking my next interface - I've been thinking of upgrading.

Gresh

Reaction score
I have an Apogee One. I picked that up because I used to travel all the time and needed/wanted something extremely small and portable. I could throw this in with my laptop and I'm done, record anywhere since it's bus powered. The built in condensor mic would seem like it would be crap, but it is amazing. For such a small unit it has great pre-amp circuits and can also do phantom power for outboard mics. Only one input at a time for recording though, but that's all I need. I have the original one, now they make one that will interface with the iPad/iPhone (need external power for that function).

MatrixClaw

Whoaaa No Way!!!
Reaction score
RME HDSP 9652 with SSL Alpha Link AX converters.

Most stable system I've ever owned and the converters are the best you can get for the money. The SSL converters easily go head to head with Lynx Aurora, Apogee Symphony I/O, Lavry, etc. and especially for the price I paid for it, there's really not comparison.

axxessdenied

Arium Addict
Reaction score
Presonus Firestudio Project

- great price/quality ratio
- solid preamps
- you get studio one artist with it which you can upgrade to the pro edition like I did. And, it is my main DAW.
- excellent hardware/software integration
- you can daisy chain them if you run out of inputs and need to add another one.

Underworld

Reaction score
Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Solid interface for the money, and sounds better than my previous Firepod! (more stable too)

DarkWolfXV

Excised n anatomised
Reaction score
Focusrite 2i4, which i bought just a week ago. Pretty solid, though I cant really tell because I dont have any interface to compare it to. No problems and good recording quality, that is for sure.

Mike

Reaction score
At the moment, a Focusrite Saffire Pro 14. Small and simple to setup. Preamps sound really nice. Does everything I need.

DespoticOrder

Slave Driver
Reaction score
Steinberg UR28M. Love it so much that I bought a second one when I spilled coke on my first one. Crystal clarityyy! :scream:

sear

Reaction score
Steinberg CI1. Line outs and headphone out, input and DAW blend knob, phantom power, 2 XLR inputs, mono/stereo toggle, 24-bit and 48 khz. Latency can go down to 64 samples with no problems. I guess it looks a little cheap but as it's made by Yamaha it's definitely solid. The internals, while not the best ever, also sound very clean and uncolored.

No real complaints for $100 and not sure stepping up for something a little more expensive would bring much benefit. Surprisingly I see very few people talking about this interface at all. I guess it's newer than some and once you're in the $100-150 price range there's really not much difference between brands.

')