Audio Question for Cars.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
So i got off work this morning and found out my car is magic.

It made my radio disappear!

So heres what was thinking:
Rather than fucking around and getting another radio that glows like a beacon to theieves, is there a way i can hardwire my ipod to whats in there?

I'm thinking its possible, but i dont know too much about how it'd work with having to power the speakers and all. I'm assuming i'd need a power amplifier or something? Im just weighing options right now. If its cheap, i'll just buy a cheapass radio from ebay (Maybe my old one?)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Chris

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ugh, that sucks dude. :mad:

There are a few options. You can pick up an IceLink:

Dension Audio Systems

And see if there's an application to fit it to the stock stereo in your car. Of course, that'd require you either a) having the stock stereo to put back in, or b) going to a salvage yard and finding one. (Or buying a new stock deck on eBay). Upside is that the stock deck IS the stock deck, and not exactly a target for thieves.

Option 2, buy a cheapo deck with a 1/8" stereo input on it. There are tons out there. Then just run the headphone cable from your iPod to your car and grab a 12v lighter charger.

metalfiend666

-
Forum MVP
Reaction score
Ditto the suckage dude.

Another option that I've seen on a lot of classic cars is running a 1/8" stereo cable direct to an amp. You can pick up a cheap amp that's good enough from lots of places, or a second hand one on Ebay. You can hide it under the seat and wire it into the existing speakers. Your iPod controls the volume. Hide the cable under the seat when you leave the car and it just looks like you've already had your stereo nicked.

Metal Ken

Hates the Air
Contributor
Reaction score
Turns out my friend has a cheap one he'll sell me for like 15$ or something, i'll go pick it up when i go to clearwater on friday before 7/7/7. If not, i found another guy here that has one.

. Upside is that the stock deck IS the stock deck, and not exactly a target for thieves.

My old radio shouldnt have been a target for theives. It was made in a time before CDR's were mass produced, as such it hardly reads them. :lol:
It was like 12 or 13 years old. The stock deck in the car was a AM/FM radio with no tape or CD (Its a '91 chevy beretta, btw :lol:). Why the person decided to break into MY car of all cars is beyond me!

Another option that I've seen on a lot of classic cars is running a 1/8" stereo cable direct to an amp.

Yeah, i was talking to my dad about this last night since he used to mess with with this kind of thing. Just snagging a power amp and wiring it to the speakers. I might still do it but im not sure. I Bet it'd have way better sound than the FM adapter i'm using for my Ipod to my now defunct radio. I like this idea simply because it bolts to the car. I figure if i get another radio in there, i'm gonna JB weld the fucker. It'd be funny to see someone try to pry it out without taking the whole dash :lol: