(Audio Sample) Seymour Duncan Pegasus VS Bare Knuckle Cold Sweat (Vote for the best)

• Thread starter DeathMentaL
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which sequence sounds best?

• Total voters

chassless

Don'tDeserveMyGuitar
Reaction score
i can hardly choose. both tones sound pretty good for that riff, but i might be wishing too much when i think the ideal tone would be the low mid growl of the first clip with the tightness and accuracy and cleanliness of the second clip. i'm guessing by that description, the first is the Pegasus and the second the Cold Sweat? or could it be that the thicker strings with the Pegasus are actually what's making the second clip sounding tighter? i'm dying to know!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlexJPA

Reaction score
The Cold Sweat is the first one and the Pegasus is the second one. Right? Anyway, both sound very good, I like the middle voicing on the first one and I like the second one for being more focused sounding. (Voted for the first one)

neotronic

Reaction score
Thanks for the clips.

I guess, the first one is the PRS? Anyway I like the second clip more because of the lack of boominess.

Reaction score
I like the second one more. I'd also like a PM, thanks! I'm going to take the contrarian route, and say that the second one is the Pegasus. If you just want to wait until you make it public, that's cool with me too.

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
Just by the specs of the guitars, I'd say the second is the Cold Sweat, since it's in the guitar with the longer scale and with thinner strings at similiar tension. It would be more interesting and at the end of the day even more useful for comparisons sake, if they were in the same guitar or at least in a guitar with the same scale neck.

Feel free to inbox me. :)

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
Here are the results

First Part
Pegasus

Second Part
Cold Sweat

How many of you called it?

Guamskyy

Hwat you call me?
Reaction score
^I had a feeling!

They both sounded good really, it actually took me a couple listens to pick up the difference in sound :lol:

But after comparison, I like the second clip because it had some of the bass rolled off and it was a little tighter than the first, but not by much. I was never a fan of Seymour Duncan, but after listening to this you can't go wrong with either!

TommyG

Tommy G
Reaction score
Well, I have a Pegasus in my Ibanez 7321 and my guess is the first clip is the Pegasus.
The second clip is definitely brighter and tighter which I like better.
I'm going to be making some pickup height adjustments over the next few days to see if I can get some more tightness.

It is amazing how close they do sound though....

I'll inbox you for the real answer... Thanks,

Ivars V

Reaction score
Here are the results

First Part
Pegasus

Second Part
Cold Sweat

How many of you called it?

I knew first one was Pegasus all the way. Really like that warm tone, but I see why people dislike it. Second one was also ok imo, for different applications, though.

vprietob

Reaction score
1: Pegasus
2: Cold sweat

I think that pegasus can work better in the AW7, maple neck-thru with ebony fretboard. I've got an RR5 and warmer pickups, like pegasus, sounds better in maple neck-thru guitars.

TommyG

Tommy G
Reaction score
I did a quick test last night with my 7321 with the Pegasus pickup.
I lowered the pickup and raised each polepiece screw.
Its definitely brighter and punchier now.

It would be good to hear DeathMentaL do that and hear it side by side...

Regardless, Both great pickups

Der JD

Reaction score
It would be more interesting and at the end of the day even more useful for comparisons sake, if they were in the same guitar or at least in a guitar with the same scale neck.

:agreed:

Just my opinion, but I see no point in these types of comparisons. To do a proper "which PU sounds best?" you need to have it in the same guitar going through the same amp with the same settings. Preferably, via reamping the same take so that differences in the person's actual playing don't influence the result. I don't mean 2 of the same model of guitar, either. I mean the same EXACT guitar.

IMO, the differences heard here are more representative of the different guitars used than the PUs. Put the same PU in several different guitars, preferably with different woods, bridges, scale lengths, etc. and you'll hear the differences. Don't believe me? Try it. I have.

DeathMentaL

Unborn MentaL
Reaction score
I did a quick test last night with my 7321 with the Pegasus pickup.
I lowered the pickup and raised each polepiece screw.
Its definitely brighter and punchier now.

It would be good to hear DeathMentaL do that and hear it side by side...

Regardless, Both great pickups

I like how it sounds now though and i don't want to mess with it further.

ASoC

Downpicker \m/
Reaction score
Both takes sound good, the first one being meatier and fuller sounding to me.

However, I have to say I prefer the 2nd one. It sounds a lot clearer to my ears

mongey

Reaction score
I had a Pegasus for a while so no surprise on which is which. I actually ordered a CS for my 7 earlier today so I like what I heard here.

')