Audio won't pan in DAW

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
Whenever I record something in my DAW using my Focusrite 2i2 with an SM57 the track won't pan. When I try to pan the track left or right it stays center panned but becomes muffled and more quiet. I tried it in both Audacity and Reaper and it does the same things for both. Is it something I have wrong in my settings or is it something with my interface? I have had days where it works and some days when it doesn't but lately it hasn't worked at all.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

FretsOnFyre

SSO's sociopath
Reaction score
What are you monitoring with? To me it sounds like only one channel is going to both of your speakers.

+1. If you're using headphones or monitors with a single plug, use the headphone out on the front of the interface and make sure the switch is set to Stereo.

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
I have headphones plugged into my Focusrite with the Direct Monitor switch on.

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
+1. If you're using headphones or monitors with a single plug, use the headphone out on the front of the interface and make sure the switch is set to Stereo.

I don't see a switch on the Focusrite for stereo or mono.

Noxon

Is a Lurker
Reaction score
The way I understand it, thE DM feature doesn't send the signal to your DAW. If there is no signal, there is nothing to pan. Have you tried turning the monitoring off? I could be talking out of my ass, but I'm just trying to help.

gunslingerjh

Headless Mofo
Reaction score
I've had the same problem with my daw. Whenever i panned something, only the left/right channel got removed from the sound, that stayed centered. I solved it by switching to the ASIO4ALL audio driver!

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Only thing that comes to mind is you're running the track into a mono bus or mono plugin. If you're using a plugin in the chain make sure it's stereo or you'll get this happening.

*EDIT - also just saw Noxon's post and agree with him as well. I don't use direct monitoring through my interface as I have the Mackie Onyx, so I'm just monitoring through the mixer. But I know direct monitoring obviously bypasses inserts and sends, so perhaps it's bypassing the pan as well?

Rev.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
Noxon is correct, this is working as designed. I have the Scarlett 2i2 and direct monitor does exactly that, monitor the signal you are inputting to the interface without inserts, sends, panning, etc.

Turn the switch to direct monitor off, and it will follow the panning of your DAW.

Metal Guitarist

Reaction score
Okay thanks guys. That sucks because it was convenient to use the Direct Monitor since I could hear my guitar tone.

jc986

Tone Enthusiast
Reaction score
You should still be able to hear your guitar tone with direct monitor disabled as long as the track is armed for recording.

')