Avatar: The Legend of Korra (Nickelodeon's Avatar Sequel series)

• Thread starter soliloquy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
well thats the thing i'm approaching at. where the folks in angs time left off in season 3, the folks in korras time picked up.

kitara outlawed blood bending, meaning it wasn't JUST her that was able to bloodbend, there must have been several others. yakon was unusually powerful at it though

lightning bending was demonstrated by uncle iroh in season 2(i think?) as a very hard technique to achieve. as such, then you saw zukos sister doing it in season 2, and then zuko in season 3, along with his dad. no one else. yet in korras time, as mentioned above, electricity bending has become fairly common where people are electricity-bending generators and they are being used in tournaments as 'professional' benders. professionals are not masters.

flying technique that fire benders did, i think uncle iroh showed that, then fire lord ozai. even ang wasn't able to do that. ang flew using water bending and/or air bending. yet general iroh can easily do it

metal bending became easy to do after toph did it too.

point being, what exactly were the previous avatars doing for centuries? just doing the basics? at the same time, the bending in angs time took a lot of concentration to do, and usually happened when they had a specific need to do em (like korras air bending when she needed to do it). yet it seems that either everyone in season 1 of korra is a master (which i highly doubt as if everyone is a master, it dilutes their powers) or they are going to expand on these techniques and learn new stuff.

point being, that techniques took centuries, maybe even millions of years to learn, yet the time difference between ang and korra demonstrates that bending everyone can do master techniques with ease.

also, when aang was told that he was the new avatar, he ran away. even at first season, he was having a hard time bending water and earth and even fire. it came naturally to him, but still it was hard. however, it seems that korra learned all the basic bending stuff by the time she was 1 and a half years old: basically being born with it

Or it's just a matter of being taught how to do it? All it takes it practice.

Any Water Bender can be taught how to Blood Bend, and healing, if given the time to learn.

Same with Fire benders and Lightning. It's part of fire bending, but to be able to do it, you need to be taught.

It's not that these people are masters, or using master techniques. It's just that as time passed, rare techniques become more prevalent due to need (lightning, and metal benders), or still just as rare (Blood bending because it does take a master to teach it, and the only one left is Kitara so far)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flint757

Reaction score
becoming the Avatar does not bestow the abilities on you otherwise Aang wouldn't have had to learn anything.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
she was 4:
Korra - Avatar Wiki, the Avatar: The Last Airbender resource

still maintaining that by the time aang died, she became the immediate new avatar at the age of 4, so thus, being born again as an avatar, thus being born with the ability to bend at atleast level two.

My God, I understand being born as the Avatar and such gives you a natural ability to pick up the elements quicker than anyone else but FOUR? I'm losing more and more faith with the writers when I hear stuff like this combined with the last few episodes :noplease: That's WAY too young and breaks the suspension of disbelief when you hear things like that because we KNOW how four year olds act and they're not nearly patient enough to understand bending multiple elements unless they stumble upon it in which case then they're trying to capture lightning in a bottle again and hoping it works. Aang was 12 and he had only learned one element, and then it took him over the course of 2 years to learn the other 3 elements - now that's at 12 years old. Imagine trying to teach not only their natural element to a child, but then two FOREIGN elements to them as well and have them fully grasp it versus doing it in blind luck? Chances of it succeeding are astronomically small. Yet somehow they threw it in here and it's like "C'mon, just make her a little bit older! That's not plausible!"

soliloquy

Reaction score
My God, I understand being born as the Avatar and such gives you a natural ability to pick up the elements quicker than anyone else but FOUR? I'm losing more and more faith with the writers when I hear stuff like this combined with the last few episodes :noplease: That's WAY too young and breaks the suspension of disbelief when you hear things like that because we KNOW how four year olds act and they're not nearly patient enough to understand bending multiple elements unless they stumble upon it in which case then they're trying to capture lightning in a bottle again and hoping it works. Aang was 12 and he had only learned one element, and then it took him over the course of 2 years to learn the other 3 elements - now that's at 12 years old. Imagine trying to teach not only their natural element to a child, but then two FOREIGN elements to them as well and have them fully grasp it versus doing it in blind luck? Chances of it succeeding are astronomically small. Yet somehow they threw it in here and it's like "C'mon, just make her a little bit older! That's not plausible!"

yes and no.
aangs series in aangs time only took 1 year. less actually. it took 3 seasons, thus aang was always 12 through out the first series. he's the avatar, so thats why he can bend other elements. and at the same time, aang had an easier time bending water and fire (he just didn't like how destructive fire was, nor how you have to be angry in order to bend, its not in aangs nature to hurt anyone or be angry). earth is understandable as its his opposite.

regardless, they explained that through aang being spiritual.
they sort of explained that with korra as she only focuses on technique, thinking you have to be strong physically and mentally in order to be a good bender, but ignoring the spiritual side. its kind of poking fun at korra saying 'any monkey can bend if all he has to do is follow technique'. i suppose that was the point of the first season of korra. anyone can bend however they like, but in order to master any of the elements, you need to be spiritually interested in it too

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
thats one thing i really miss about avatar series one. the music of Angs time was incredible. the music of korras time is not even memorable. the only time it makes me pay attention to the music is when they repeat the music from aangs time from time to time.
Dude what, the new soundtrack is incredible.

Still miffed about the Deus Ex Machina in the season finale, which is sad because they almost managed to ruin a nearly flawless season in the space of two minutes.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
^ If memory serves correctly, even the episode is TITLED "Deus Ex Machina"

soliloquy

Reaction score
Dude what, the new soundtrack is incredible.

Still miffed about the Deus Ex Machina in the season finale, which is sad because they almost managed to ruin a nearly flawless season in the space of two minutes.

not a single riff, or beat, or hook stays in my head from this series's music.
nearly all of aangs stuff stays in my head :scratch:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
I don't think any of the music from either ATLA or LoK has stuck with me :shrug: It's good when I hear it, but stuff like this just stays in my head for days and even then it still gives goosebumps. Maybe the stuff for LoK just didn't have as much as I remember or any big overtones for fight scenes?

Edit: there is one hook in the main theme I really enjoy, but it's still very minor in the whole scheme of the song and is used on it's own a lot during the series probably because of it getting lost in the theme

Starts at :37 in the video, and along with that the only other real melody I enjoy comes in at 8:15 and it's for the god damn antagonist of the series :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0k-THTEViOk

soliloquy

Reaction score
here are 7 songs from the korra series that span over 10 minutes:

and here is just one random track from the ATLAB:
they also play this in korra from time to time:

and another one

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Tried to watch M. Night Douchebag's "The Last Airbender" movie and ho. ly. SHIT. Only got 13 minutes in before shutting it off.

It's so fucking bad :rofl:

Like, Aang's tattoos are barely even tattoos and EVERYONE IS THE WRONG FUCKING COLOR. Aang was white in the show yes, but Katara and Sokka are now white and not even close to Inuit like they're supposed to be. Zuko is fucking Indian much like Admiral Zhao is and Iroh is a white dude in makeup if I recall correctly. Aang gets IMMEDIATELY captured by Zuko about what, 5 minutes into the film AND CAN BEND EVERY ELEMENT without even trying. I know he's the avatar, but in name only as he's never attempted to do anything besides airbend. The "fighting" was just silly and the kid playing Aang looked way to fucking goofy while doing it for me to take seriously.

Don't even get me started on how bad the actors actually were as well

soliloquy

Reaction score
Tried to watch M. Night Douchebag's "The Last Airbender" movie and ho. ly. SHIT. Only got 13 minutes in before shutting it off.

It's so fucking bad :rofl:

Like, Aang's tattoos are barely even tattoos and EVERYONE IS THE WRONG FUCKING COLOR. Aang was white in the show yes, but Katara and Sokka are now white and not even close to Inuit like they're supposed to be. Zuko is fucking Indian much like Admiral Zhao is and Iroh is a white dude in makeup if I recall correctly. Aang gets IMMEDIATELY captured by Zuko about what, 5 minutes into the film AND CAN BEND EVERY ELEMENT without even trying. I know he's the avatar, but in name only as he's never attempted to do anything besides airbend. The "fighting" was just silly and the kid playing Aang looked way to fucking goofy while doing it for me to take seriously.

Don't even get me started on how bad the actors actually were as well

what irritated me the most about the movie is the way the fire benders were bending fire.

in order for them to bend fire, they needed a source of fire near them. thus, you often saw them carrying a candle or something.

and even then, there was no fluidity present in any of the benders. it looked more like the movie 'kung-pow' where you see the characters moving/dancing around for 30 minutes, and then a gush of wind/fire/water comes sweeping by.

and the last scene (i dont care if i'm spoiling it for anyone...you shouldn't watch the movie) of the show shows aang turning into the avatar state and eradicating the fire nation from the northern water bendings shores. in the movie, he just raises a 50 foot water wall, and then puts it back down. the fire nation retreats out of fear and not because they were wiped out...

:realmad: :realmad: :realmad:

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Yeah, I heard how it ended and it's just awful as well. I didn't make it far enough to realize that people needed a source of their element to bend with versus being able to create it from out of nowhere

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
I just take it as someone else's interpretation of it. It wasn't too terrible, people just give MNS a bad rap.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
No one gives him a bad rep, he EARNED that rep by trying to be artsy and smart but instead his twists fucking blow and the movies are a waste of time

Sicarius

Reggie J Worthington
Reaction score
C'mon, Unbreakable was a great movie, so was The Village, Signs?

His first movies were great, and people liked them, then he put out some shit ones, and that's what everyone judges him on, not his good stuff.

MFB

Banned
Reaction score
Signs was alright and the Village was good until the ending where he ruined everything and made you go "WHY THE FUCK DID I JUST WATCH THAT?!" It's to the point where you have to wonder what the fuck the premise of his movies is because endings like that ruin them and it's just like "I'm just not going to see them anymore"

Unbreakable's concept is good but I never got around to seeing it. Read the Wiki and I probably would've called it during the first half since I've believed in the idea of equivelant exchange for a while now and that's all it was: one guy was really strong because another was really weak instead of two average strength guys.

')