Avenged Sevenfold's "Nightmare"

• Thread starter ROAR
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

-One-

Not So Kool-Aid
Reaction score
Yeah, this album is definitely a grower, and I've liked it since (technically before) day one, so imagine how much I love it now XD

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Yeah, this album is definitely a grower, and I've liked it since (technically before) day one, so imagine how much I love it now XD

I feel the same way. It didn't hook me like the self titled did (I was singing along halfway through each of the songs :lol:), but after a few listens, I've really gotten to like it a whole lot.

Desi

You can't handle me!
Reaction score
I'm a HUGE A7X fan. No, I do not go around claiming Syn to be the greatest thing since they put the pocket in the pita..but I love his eerie, chaotic and disjointed style. I love everything they've put out and Nightmare is no exception.

I can understand the hate people spew on the band, and yea..their fanbase is VERY annoying, but A7X aren't their fans...despite how much their music appeals to that certain demographic. They are an incredibly tight and solid band live; their live performance have vastly improved since the "City of Evil" days.

The loss of The Rev definitely shows in their latest...which to me makes it a bit hard to listen to...but overall, this is their most emotional, and gripping work they've done. I'm very proud of these guys as they are one of the VERY FEW bands I feel a connection to. The are all a perfect match for one another and what you hear works...there is no scientific explanation....it just does.

I never quite got the hate on Synyster Gates (Brian Haner Jr) as I personally think he has already found his voice on the guitar. His style is easily recognizeable, he coaxes some psychotic sounds and leads/solos, has great stage presence, and the best part of all...he's inspiring a lot of kids to pick up the guitar and wail on that Floyd :hbang:.

True, he's not the most technical..but does he need to be? He knows his way around the fretboard and has better knowledge of theory than most guitarists in modern rock (thanks to the 6 months spent at the GIT program studying to become a Jazz studio guitarist like his father).

But all in all, yea..I'm a huge fan of these guys and with that I leave this post with a...

A7X foREVer!

ROAR

oaf tobar
Reaction score
upboat for this guy ^^^

I totally agree with you.

willyman101

Reaction score
True, he's not the most technical..but does he need to be? He knows his way around the fretboard and has better knowledge of theory than most guitarists in modern rock (thanks to the 6 months spent at the GIT program studying to become a Jazz studio guitarist like his father).

I agree with you on all but this. I think he's pretty incredible. Some of his solos are insanely fast, and while that doesn't make a guitar player good, it does make them capable right?

But yes, I understand the hate but at the end of the day A7X write really good metal tunes that appeal to a wide audience. A lot of the time it's a case of metal elitism, when really they're a great band for getting more people into metal. Where would most of us be without those kind of bands? I definitely can't imagine starting with any of the extreme stuff.

Desi

You can't handle me!
Reaction score
I agree with you on all but this. I think he's pretty incredible. Some of his solos are insanely fast, and while that doesn't make a guitar player good, it does make them capable right?

I never "meant" he wasn't capable, what I meant by not the most technical is that he doesn't rely on extreme displays of fretboard acrobatics...despite the fact that he is indeed capable of it.

A lot of the time, his fast solos just get lost to me...reason? Because they are so chaotic..and so "out of phase" that they literally just add that element of danger to their songs. Syn has an INSANE sense of melody and can write some damn fine solos and leads. Blinded in Chains off City of Evil is what I consider to be Syn's most demonic display of melodic control. The solo in Bat Country is just pure FIRE! Straight rock and roll. The Beast and the Harlot's whammy screams, double bends, and solo are just haywire.

His progression is steady from album to album...and I consider Nightmare to be Syn's finest moment by far.

I love his style, but to me..his note choice and out of control flurry of melody and in your faceness is what gets me more so than his sheer speed. He keeps it in context.

Anyone who doubts him, or just blindly hates on him are just not listening. Simple as that. :wavey:

RenegadeDave

Huge nerd
Reaction score
I saw A7x while they were on tour supporting City of Evil (which I like). Me and my buddy were enjoying some frosty cold adult beverages as a bevy of high school aged girls wearing Synyster style fedoras barged into the area we were standing. Clad in makeup and obviously just getting there, I began to explain to this pack of girls that once the show started the big dudes in the Slayer shirts were probably going to make life miserable for them and the great view of Synyster Gates was probably going to come with a high price. They told me they'd be "fine" like they'd been to a metal show before. My friend and I chuckled because it was obvious this was the most metal they would ever witness. Once the pit started during the first song (predictably), before the third song in the set I lifted every single one of them. After them the nearby tight jean wearing kids with the cool haircuts tapped me on the shoulder with the universal "up" sign.

I must have lifted about literally 20 people of the pit. That was kind of annoying. For comparison's sake, it's usually 3 or 4 kids who legitimately want to crowd surf who ask me to put them up at each show.

I've gotten wiser in my "old age" and stand with my back to the sound booth. Usually I can see everything just as well since I'm a giant and nobody bothers me to put them up for the most part.

So that was my experience with the A7x crowd. They were pretty good showmen.

Reaction score
I like the new album. Then again, I've loved every Avenged album that's come out since I've been a fan (Waking the Fallen). Hell, I think the self titled is the best. Love Nightmare though, more of a speed metal album, riff wise.

boni

Reaction score
listen to fiction and tell me a7x is not a good band. its a song that rev wrote, almost like a death note and they used it on the album. i dare you. I DOUBLE DARE YOU.

maxoom

Scumbag of the Earth
Reaction score
I liked track 5 but overall not into the new A7x release.I was not a fan before or listened to them, but was hoping to like them.I appreciate the talent I just could not get into many of the songs.I hear a DT influence or similarity in many of the songs.Overall I was expecting something heavier and not so much like DT which I do like.I just think many of the songs lacked that something special that makes me get into or relate to it.jmo

Reaction score
I like the new album. Then again, I've loved every Avenged album that's come out since I've been a fan (Waking the Fallen). Hell, I think the self titled is the best. Love Nightmare though, more of a speed metal album, riff wise.

I agree with all of this. :yesway:

listen to fiction and tell me a7x is not a good band. its a song that rev wrote, almost like a death note and they used it on the album. i dare you. I DOUBLE DARE YOU.

Not only did the Rev write it, but he wrote it three days before he died. That is the saddest song I think Ive ever heard, and I give Matt all the credit in the world to sing those words, especially with the Revs vocals in the mix. :(

')