Aviator Custom Guitars Thread

• Thread starter seekfreed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Because of general lack of information about this custom shop I wanted to share my experience with Aviator Guitars in this thread from the beginning to the final product.
This thread may act as a little orientation for people who might be similarily gun shy like me regarding this brand.

Also if any of you guys have your stories with them, feel obliged to share (I want to see some pics!)
:D

But first of all, I am not affiliated to them or being paid. This is an experiment of mine that I like to have documented and shared. If I should recieve a lemon in the end, people will know about it, but if I recieve a great playing and sounding guitar it will be a win win situation for everybody involved.
I will keep this thread updated during the build process and do a little review once I have recieved it and gotten to know it better.

Pics can be found further down!

My experience

Anyways, let me tell you what led me to them. Basically I was in the market for a nice Telecaster and was browsing the common brands like Fender and different custom shops like Balaguer and others. The lack of body and arm contours drove me away from the classic models and left me looking for alternatives.
While browsing the net for ideas I stumbled upon the Aviator guitars custom shop. Due to living in the EU and having made good experiences with eastern European custom shops I thought to myself: lets see what they can do.
After browsing their webpage and being pleasantly surpised by the designer I decided to send them the filled out form. About one day later I recieved a message with an estimated price and a quick message saying that they were stoked about the specs and the project.
But I wasn't. To keep the cost down to a certain degree I opted for compromises and so I decided to look for different solutions (different brand/custom shop).

I continued my search but could not find anything remotely close to what I was looking for. Aviators designer did not leave me alone though..., I played with different options and the visual mockup that it provided made me want to pull the trigger. Still I was not 100% sure about it.

But then, one day, I saw an Instagram Black Friday ad proclaiming a 250€ on all custom orders during a specific time. That was all I needed.
After speccing out my Tele/Texan without compromises this time and sending out the form I recieved the quote the next day.

To me it still felt like plunging into cold waters because of the lack of information or reviews about this brand. So I decided to contact them on the phone to see what those guys were all about. It just makes me feel way better if I have somebody to talk to about my project and ideas, so that was basically what I was trying to find.

And I found it. Calling them and speaking to Mason showed me that I have made the right decision. He was passionate not only about their brand and products but also about my guitar and ideas. He did not hesitate to answer all my questions about their way of making guitars or their history in general. And even though they had to work their asses off because of their Black Friday deal, he took the time to make sure that everything was the way I wanted.

Let me tell you about their history and what they offer!

Aviator guitars were founded in 2014 in the Czech Republic by two friends who met during their time in university. Jan and Mason are the two masterminds behind the brand and split the duties of building the guitars and marketing.
The name itself stems from Jans families history of woodworkers building planes and gliders.
People liked what he did in the early days in his garage and things started to get rolling. After they build guitars for a band named Cabal the word spread and more and more people got on board. Their main customers are from all over Europe (Norway, Germany, France, the UK ...) but they are starting to get recognition in America as well. Just yesterday I found the first official dealer in the US on reverb!
Their philosophy is based on good QC and and attention to detail. Over the course of about 2 1/2 years they have manufactured around 190 guitars, making sure to have top notch quality as their priority. Focusing on slow and steady growth, they are not rushing to produce batches of guitars or to propagate themselves too much on social media. So far word of mouth worked well for them.
Those infos were provided to me by Mason one time we talked on the phone and to me personally this is a nice little piece of genuine history.

So what do they offer?

Their builder allows you to choose from different options:

-Modern --- this is their contemporary take on Super Strats, Vs and so on (8 styles)
-Classic --- guitars with a more "old schoolish" vibe (5 styles)
-Headless --- like the name suggests... (2 styles)
-Zeppelin --- a sexy semi-hollow option (2 styles)
-Bass --- if you want a bass, they go you covered aswell (4 styles)

If you can't find an option in their builder (different hardware, woods, nitro or acrylic and so on) you can always contact them and have them make it possible.
One of the unique features of their guitars are recessed input jacks and the idea sounds pretty darn good I must say. Also you can find many more interesting little details on their page.
Their build times are about 6-7 months (the ETA for mine is 7 months) and during this time they will provide you with pictures of important stages of the build. They even let me choose the top wood from a bunch of different flamed maple tops. That is a service that I have not encountered before!

My Texan 6

Enough talking now, it's time for some pictures! If any of you are interested in the specs of the guitar I can post them later.

This is the final mockup of my Texan 6

Here you can see the top wood that I have chosen

That should be enough for now. I'd love to hear your thoughts/stories/experiences if you got any.
I for my part enjoy the process so far and am pretty excited about the guitar!

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'm very curious how this turns out. I was also looking at Aviator recently but couldn't find enough reviews. They've got some nice designs but I'm not as brave as you to order something with so little out there on them.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Update #1

A couple of months have passed by now and I have recieved the first major update. By now I have gotten in touch with the guy who is actually building my guitar, Jan. It makes a difference if you can talk directly to the person who is building your guitar.

Together we could work around some minor issues and clarify uncertainties about the slope of the armrest. We were talking about the nitro finish and its peculiarities, different pick ups and of course tone woods.
If you pull the trigger on an Aviator custom build don't hesitate to call them and talk to them directly! You can minimize the margin of error due to miscommunication and it's always fun to talk to a fellow gear-nerd.

There will be more frequent updates from now on, we are still waiting for the neck for example.

Anyways, to keep this short, here are the pics!

One of the first steps, the CAD files!

Some of the hardware

The glued on top I chose next to a similar piece

It's coming alive

Again, if you are interested or want to know something don't hesitate to ask!

FitRocker33

My tone is tighter than my hamstrings
Reaction score
Guys, I know my eyes aren’t playing tricks on me...zoom in on the pic where the top is glued to the body before CNC. It looks paper thin.

I’m not trying to start anything lol, just making an observation

mastapimp

Reaction score
You know real tops also need to be glued on right.
In fairness, the image in the original post from the mockup shows flamed maple all the way through the bevel while the actual build does not have that feature. It's not a paper-thin vaneer, but looks nowhere close to 1/4"...closest argument you can make the 1/4" is the exposed portion at the forearm carve, which is at a shallow angle, not the actual thickness of the top.

Putting these comments about the top thickness aside, it does look like a very clean build and will probably turn out beautiful.

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Guys, I know my eyes aren’t playing tricks on me...zoom in on the pic where the top is glued to the body before CNC. It looks paper thin.

I’m not trying to start anything lol, just making an observation
Yeah even the picture of the body after CNC you can see in several places that it's very thin. See the bottom edge (closest to the camera) of the leftover wood, or the top edge of the pickup and control routes. That looks like a veneer to me.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a veneer, but if the OP was under the impression it'd have a regular full thickness top, he should be getting in touch with them

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I knew what I was getting into with the top. Both Jan and Mason told me that this piece was a thinner one (if I remember correctly it was around 4mm) and the the bevel would uncover the body wood. I had no problems with that, I actually like the way it looks.

Another reason for picking a slightly thinner top was because of the "maple overload" in this guitar. Due to the tele bridge and an all maple neck the guitar was already heading into a frequency territory dominated by snap and highs. My guess was that this would only be increased if we would glue a thick slab of maple on top and the luthier had the same opinion.
So we went with it.

And I just love the way it looks with its curved flames!

couchguitarplayer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I knew what I was getting into with the top. Both Jan and Mason told me that this piece was a thinner one (if I remember correctly it was around 4mm) and the the bevel would uncover the body wood. I had no problems with that, I actually like the way it looks.

Another reason for picking a slightly thinner top was because of the "maple overload" in this guitar. Due to the tele bridge and an all maple neck the guitar was already heading into a frequency territory dominated by snap and highs. My guess was that this would only be increased if we would glue a thick slab of maple on top and the luthier had the same opinion.
So we went with it.

And I just love the way it looks with its curved flames!

I'm curious to know how much this project wil cost you?

mbardu

Reaction score
I hope not!!! 2000$ euro for a guitar a veneer is not acceptable for me. I'd rather get a Skervesen or a mayones for that price.

Good luck buying a Skervy for 2k$, but if you have issues with thin tops in general, wait until you find out about 4k$ Jackson US Soloists, most Ibanez J-Customs, Balaguer Customs etc etc etc...

Last edited:

bigcupholder

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
That looks great.

What are the 5 slots in the neck? Presumably it's truss rod (middle slot) and carbon fibre rods (outer two slots) - what are the two shorter slots for?

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ain't getting much Mayo on his sammich either, for that kinda dough...!

That was a good one!

That looks great.

What are the 5 slots in the neck? Presumably it's truss rod (middle slot) and carbon fibre rods (outer two slots) - what are the two shorter slots for?

Exactly. The middle slot is for the truss rod itself and the black stripes are the carbon reinforcements.
After talking to Jan he told me his reasoning for the two shorter ones:
While leveling frets (on other guitars) he noticed a slight lift in the fretboard, caused by the trussrod not reaching down all the way. By prolonging the carbon reinforcements further towards the heel, the neck obtained more stability in the area which the truss rod doesn't reach. This construction method has been so successful that he uses it on all his builds.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score

Neck being routed and having nitro applied for the first time

Let me tell you about a neat little feature of Aviator guitars with this short update.

Basically I wanted to know more about their neck profiles and the thickness in general. On the website you can choose between two different neck dimensions (19mm or 21mm) and thats about it.
So I called them and asked about it. Turns out they offer two different neck profiles, D or C.

My intention with this guitar was to spec it as close to my Strat without losing a "modern touch". So I picked the C profile and asked if the overall neck thickness could be changed. The whole conversations ended with me having them build the neck almost identical to my Strat but making it 1mm thinner.

If you are considering a build with them, keep that amazing option in mind!

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
If a custom builder can't make a neck to your spec, walk away.

')