Aviator Custom Guitars Thread

• Thread starter seekfreed
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

_MonSTeR_

Reaction score
Mayones does not build necks to your likings as far as I know.

But Mayones, for all the hype aren't really "custom" guitars. They just happen to have a big option list from which you can choose various features and finishes.

It's like the difference between having an "off the rack" suit fitted and having a bespoke suit made...

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
that's not really what custom means in English. that's why the word bespoke exists.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
A true custom shop will let you tweak any/all parameters of the build ime, with the builders offering opinions/insight along the way, eg Schecter Masterworks/ESP Japan, Waghorn, Rick Toone, etc.

Waghorn told me his typical neck thickness/shape as a jumping off point, and I told him exactly what I wanted based off my other customs. Same thing for control layout. I told him exactly how I wanted it setup, with distances between pots and switches based off of what I like.
I mean I told him how I wanted the fan spread and where I wanted the parallel fret, and even sent him the fretfind data just to be sure.

THAT is what true custom is. It's bespoke as diagrammatiks said, tailored exactly for your tastes/needs. Most people have no need of a full custom shop, which is probably why we see less of them anymore. Much easier to offer just a couple of options and streamline your workflow. Even guys like Toone (who built his brand on insane one off guitars) has streamlined his offerings from what I've seen.

Last edited:

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Well, not everybody may be this fortunate to have a custom guitar build for them.
Maybe someone is looking into it and decides to give it shot, unaware of all the posibilities. This person is unsure which route to take, scoures the web, finds Aviator guitars, this forum and our discussion. Then this person makes a decisson helped by our experiences and stories.
Thats one of the manifold reasons for this thread, to bring some clarity into the whole topic of custom or semi-custom shops or however you want to call them.

And to learn something about the English language :D

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Pic heavy update!

This update will show the different stages of the finishing process and some stunning results!

Body prepared for finish

First layer of stain

After some layers more

Nitro on the neck

logotipo png

First layer of nitro

It's gettin guud...

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
This image should speak for itself!

The finish was almost the most important part I wanted Jan to get right.
He hit the nail on the head! We were going back and forth with ideas and I told him how I wanted the burst to look like, how far it should go and many more small details.
This is going to be one stunning axe!

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Last update before she arrives!

Today I have recieved the good news, the guitar is on its way! And if I'm lucky it'll arrive tomorrow.
The Aviator custom guitars experience has been nothing but amazing so far. Before I do my NGD and review I will update this thread with a little "order review" and talk about how things went and how pleasant it was designing this guitar together with Jan.

Anyways ... here are some pics!

Enjoy!

... he nailed it!

Last edited:

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Last update before she arrives!

Today I have recieved the good news, the guitar is on its way! And if I'm lucky it'll arrive tomorrow.
The Aviator custom guitars experience so far has been nothing but amazing. Before I do my NGD and review I will update this thread with a little "order review" and talk about how things went and how pleasant it was designing this guitar together with Jan.

Anyways ... here are some pics!

Enjoy!

... he nailed it!
gottdamn that looks killer. The reverse headstock and body contours/bigger cutaway give it a more modern vibe (which I really dig).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
I hope it plays as good as it looks!

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
God i love chevron style flame and quilt. Question though, obviously the block of wood it starts at will dictate what the bookmatch will look like, but if you were to just have a large surface area of flame could you just cut them at angles and match them like a chevron flame?

Morely asking if its something that is luck of the wood or if you could repeat it consistently.

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
gottdamn that looks killer. The reverse headstock and body contours/bigger cutaway give it a more modern vibe (which I really dig).
You can say das! It's exactly what I wanted. A contemporary but classic looking Tele that oozes style!

I hope it plays as good as it looks!
Those were my words!

God i love chevron style flame and quilt. Question though, obviously the block of wood it starts at will dictate what the bookmatch will look like, but if you were to just have a large surface area of flame could you just cut them at angles and match them like a chevron flame?

Morely asking if its something that is luck of the wood or if you could repeat it consistently.
I'd suggest you talk to Jan about that. But if I would have to guess I'd say he is pretty buisy at the moment. Why not give it a try?

Ben Pinkus

Reaction score
Man, one of the best modern styled T's I've seen - enjoyed the build update thread thanks!

seekfreed

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did you get it yet??

Yeah, I recieved it about 3 weeks ago.
Luckily Jan ain't no Vik!

Currently I'm still in the honeymoon phase and waiting with the NGD until I really know the guitar.
So far I love it!

')