Awesome/Rare J Customs from the Meinl Collection

• Thread starter IbanezDaemon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jzbass25

Reaction score

Oh no, why did you do this too me. GAS is building up too hard, gooby pls stahp

edit: In all seriousness I may actually try and buy one of these. I love offset dots too, even though I do like the vine (prefer Vai's vine more though). I just can't get on with the zr trem, even the edge pros on 2 of my guitars annoy me sometimes and I just want to reroute them for edge/lo pros lol

Philip N

Reaction score
I just saw a similar one to the sixth from the top (the swamp ash, piezo one) in the german ebay classifieds!

philip

Pikka Bird

Vaya Con Cornholio
Reaction score
...RGART...
I can't say I like that a whole lot except for an appreciation for the craftiness that went into it. But imagine a model with this name following the classic nomenclature- An arch-topped through-neck RG with a reverse headstock. Who here would be soiling his shreddies with GAS for that?

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For sure Max. RG Art is probably the most iconic J Custom for me, those 1997 models like Art, Gear , Metal, Urushi will never be topped in the JC line. The RG7CST is one of the best 7's I've ever played, only 17 made I think.

I used to know a lot more about this model (former CST owner here, as well), but I've forgotten most of it these days. That said, IIRC the best guess I've seen was probably a production total of 18 based on serial numbers - Ibanez tends/tended to build J Customs in batches of 12, and it appears that they started, but didn't finish, a second batch.

It was a great guitar, no doubt... Very similar to the RG2027 if someone wants a more affordable alternative (the major differences were the maple top and ebony board, and of course the MUCH smaller production run), and they had what I would guess to be identical neck profiles (I sold the 2027 well before buying the CST). The maple top and ebony board made the CST a bit brighter and snappier acoustically, however, and the CST's pickups worked better in the body wood combination than the PAF/Tone Zone combo that was in the 2027 when I owned it. Again, no source for this, but I suspect the CST's custom wound Dimarzios were eventually the basis for the New 7s, and if so they definitely prefer mahogany to basswood.

That said, I have no regrets about selling it - it probably wasn't the right guitar for me tonally, and the best Ibby neck I've ever played was actually a 1527 I bought years later and then foolishly sold (same profile, I think, but the fretwork on that thing was amazing, way better than it should have been). On top of that, I never used the piezo, and my Suhr is IMO just as/if not more pretty than my old CST. There was also a lot of BS that came with owning a "collectible guitar" - people kept messaging me through Jemsite making me offers and getting pissed off when I had no interest in selling, and I was always a little worried about hurting it whenever I picked it up, which I think impacted my playing. I'm happier without it. :shrug:

ibanezgitarrero

Ready to RAWK.
Reaction score
It's a shame the RG-ART has such a think clear coat on the Maple fretboard. Also, the 12th fret inlay looks a bit crude when you see it in real life. The top finish, however, is absolute eye candy.

')