AXE 8

• Thread starter js75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

js75

Reaction score
My son is graduating and am thinking of getting him an axe 8, possibly an axe fx xl,what do you guys recommend running it through.I was thinking maybe powered moniters, he is auditioning to take a music program at university ,so i thought it would be a good set up in a dorm room.Or would a power amp and a 1x12 be better.What to do.:scratch:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score
Power amp with a cab would be more useful in a variety of situations. Headphones are probably more appropriate for MOST dorm use (but the AX8 doesn't have a headphone output, or USB audio if he wants to record). The AFX XL is (IMO) a more useful device even though you have to get an external pedal. I decided the amp modeling wasn't good enough to justify the cost of other options with more flexibility, though. I think no matter what you decide he'll be a pretty happy camper.

Bearitone

Reaction score
I think the AXE8 and powered monitors would make a kick-ass dorm rig. Tons of flexibility and the ability to play at low volumes.

Make sure to tell him to stay low-key about his gear though. Stuff gets stolen from dorms ALL the time.

A-Branger

Reaction score
another vote for the recording monitors here.

few advantages over a 1x12 cab:

-Plays better at lower volumes
-You can then put any cab sim into the patches. (I dont think having a 4x12 cab sim goin into a 1x12 cab would work)
-More accurate sound, since the recording monitors are pretty close to a FRFR,
-You would have the ability to use them for home/dorm recordings
-Awesome sound system for just blasting music in your room, either for listeniing, playing along with the guitar, or movie watching

cons:
-they could be more expensive than buying a cab+poweramp settup
-you need to buy an audio interface
-you cant take them out for a gig/jam/practice...... but, as long theres a singer/PA settup, you can plug your ax8 into it so pfff who cares

AkiraSpectrum

Reaction score
Axe 8 plus powered monitors (FRFR). If you have the $, you could buy an inexpensive audio interface (Focusrite Scarlet for example) as well for if he wants to record and listen through headphones.

js75

Reaction score
I will probably go with the axe8,it get's pretty pricey bringing into Canada.If there is no usb port on the axe 8 can you still record with it or do you just mic your cab/frfr and use an interface.Anyone have an axe8 ,how is it?

A-Branger

Reaction score
I will probably go with the axe8,it get's pretty pricey bringing into Canada.If there is no usb port on the axe 8 can you still record with it or do you just mic your cab/frfr and use an interface.Anyone have an axe8 ,how is it?

if you have an audio interface, then theres really no need to mic the cab. Take the line out of the AX8 into the interface and thats it.

hvdh

Reaction score
Get the Helix or the LT. With the updated firmware the sounds are on par and you get a hell of lot more. Get some yamaha dxr12 or 10.

vick1000

Reaction score
AX8 and JBL LSR 308s, best for the money bedroom setup, hands down.

Shoeless_jose

Reaction score
As a fellow Canadian who suffers the ridiculous prices I also recommend Helix LT or fullsize Helix, great recording options headphone out great modelling and kick ass form factor, I plan to add one to my rig asap, would have it now but I got the 8 string itch that I just had to scratch.

domsch1988

Reaction score
AX8 and JBL LSR 308s, best for the money bedroom setup, hands down.

Not wanting to hijack this thread, but are the 305's any good? For my PC Setup and for mixing the 308's are 1. To big and 2. to expensive :ugh:

tedtan

Reaction score
^

I haven't used them, but everyone that has seems to like them. Plus, based on talking to people and reading reviews, they have good low end for a small speaker, so you may not need a sub for a while.

vick1000

Reaction score
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but are the 305's any good? For my PC Setup and for mixing the 308's are 1. To big and 2. to expensive :ugh:

Yes, I had the 305s as well. They are just as good, with slightly less bass and volume. Same great stereo field, connectivity, and filtering options.

LeviathanKiller

Knee-shooting Archer
Reaction score

polish_sausage

Reaction score
As a fellow Canadian who suffers the ridiculous prices I also recommend Helix LT or fullsize Helix, great recording options headphone out great modelling and kick ass form factor, I plan to add one to my rig asap, would have it now but I got the 8 string itch that I just had to scratch.

I did this when it was announced. The Helix LT is definitely the better bang for your buck in Canada. I am completely satisfied with it. It runs at $1350 CAD from Long and Mcquade and sounds the same as the $2000 full version.

hvdh

Reaction score
Not only because of the way better UI, the gap free preset swithing, the headphone output, the build in audio interface and not maxing out of processor power when using 2 or more reverbs in a preset, the Helix and the LT win easely.

Advice: Save a lot of money on the modeler and invest this in good speakers.

You will thank me later.

A-Branger

Reaction score
It runs at $1350 CAD from Long and Mcquade and sounds the same as the $2000 full version.

thats because they are the same. The only difference between the two are less IN/OUTs, and no screens on the footswitches, plus a different build material of the board.

internally its the exact thing. So unless you need the full on routing capabilities of the Helix, then get the LT

aprilia4life

Reaction score

The 305's are awesome, and the best of the bunch at that price range and size. They are already quite large, the 308's would be massive.

I run the AX8 with 305's, simple setup for a decent price. Plus, the support for the AX8/Axe-FX is amazing, there are new features/updates coming through at least once a month.

You can get headphones connected easily through the L and R Output 1's, just need a 3.5mm TRS(F) to Dual 1/4 in TS(M) Stereo Breakout Adaptor Cable. Few bucks on ebay, done.

For recording you will need an audio interface, as there's no USB recording from the AX8.

js75

Reaction score
My son runs pro tools so he has an interface to work with, far as recording goes.I am gonna check out the 305's as well.For live stuff do most people just run their axe8/Helix through the front of the house,or power amp with cab.He has a cr120 and a 4x12 orange cab,much to big for university so I would like this rig to be somewhat portable.Is running a into the effects loop of the cr120 a viable option to rattle some teeth at home?

Latest posts

')