Axe Fx 2 - ART SLA2 - Mesa 4X12

benwells

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a Axe FX 2, and a Mesa 4x12 cab that is collecting dust and its pissing me off. I have a EVH 5150iii but I want the versatility of the Axe fx so I can try getting some different amp sounds and tones. Plus have access to all of the effects. I am just curious on some thoughts on a ART SLA2 to power my Axe fx 2 ? I cant afford the Matrix unit that seems to get the rave reviews throughout the internet but the SLA2 is within my range.

Anyone have any experience using this type of setup to run through a cab and not FRFR ? What were your thoughts ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
I haven't used the ART power amp specifically, but I sometimes run my Axe-FX through a similar Carvin power amp and Mesa Traditional 4x12 cabinet. It sounds great and is a relatively lightweight way to run a full signal chain through a normal cab :metal:

However, why not just run the EVH and Axe-FX together? You can either run the Axe-FX straight into the effects return of the EVH to effectively turn it into a power amp or hook everything up in 4 cable method to have the best of both worlds :2c:

MetalDaze

Repless in Seattle
Reaction score
Just run the AxeFX through the Fx return of the 5150 III.

I do that with my 50w EVH head. Or I use my Seymour Duncan Powerstage 700. Both sound phenomenal imo.
Regarding the 700, do you have to have cabs attached to both channels or can you run just one side?

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I recall the ART SLAs being budget staples back in the day. But everyone else is pretty spot on; why not just 4CM the Axe FX? You can have the stock EVH, or run different preamp sections. Plus you have the advantage of 4CM to run effects before the amp and FX loop.

benwells

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Ok I wasnt aware that I could run my EVH as the power source .

Is there anywhere I can find some info on this stuff and how it works ?

Can I use just the power amp section and model different amps ? Or would I have to use the EVH amp and just use the axe for effects only without any modelling ?

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Ok I wasnt aware that I could run my EVH as the power source .

Is there anywhere I can find some info on this stuff and how it works ?

Can I use just the power amp section and model different amps ? Or would I have to use the EVH amp and just use the axe for effects only without any modelling ?
You can just run a cable from the output of the AxeFX to the effects return on the EVH. With that setup you will always use the amp models in the AxeFX.

Or you can use "4 Cable Method" aka "4CM". With that setup you can choose to run the amp models in the AxeFX the same way as above, OR you can use the EVH preamp and just use the AxeFX for effects. And you can go back and forth easily. The cons with this setup are relatively complex cabling (not awful though) and potential noise issues caused by ground loops.

benwells

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
You can just run a cable from the output of the AxeFX to the effects return on the EVH. With that setup you will always use the amp models in the AxeFX.

Or you can use "4 Cable Method" aka "4CM". With that setup you can choose to run the amp models in the AxeFX the same way as above, OR you can use the EVH preamp and just use the AxeFX for effects. And you can go back and forth easily. The cons with this setup are relatively complex cabling (not awful though) and potential noise issues caused by ground loops.
Thanks for this info. I will watch these videos tonight when i get chance. This doesnt cause any issues to the EVH or anything eh ? I assume this is just the same as using it normally where its wearing the tubes slowly but other than that theres no added wear by running through my head ?

Deadpool_25

Gearwhore no more? Nope. Still a gearwhore. :(
Reaction score
Thanks for this info. I will watch these videos tonight when i get chance. This doesnt cause any issues to the EVH or anything eh ? I assume this is just the same as using it normally where its wearing the tubes slowly but other than that theres no added wear by running through my head ?
Causes no issues at all.

NoodleFace

Delicious Noodles
Reaction score
I ran my Axe FX through my 6505+ before I got my matrix and it sounded great. You do have to disable power amp sims though or it could (emphasis on could) sound like shit.

I did not do the 4CM.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Should be no issues. Set your levels right and youre good.

benwells

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Is there a way I can use the 1/4" output into my head and keep the XLRs plugged into my studio monitors and just switch somehow between the outputs if I want to use either the Cab or the Monitors ? Thinking this would be easier than swapping cords all the time.

c7spheres

GuitArtist
Reaction score
Is there a way I can use the 1/4" output into my head and keep the XLRs plugged into my studio monitors and just switch somehow between the outputs if I want to use either the Cab or the Monitors ? Thinking this would be easier than swapping cords all the time.
I don't own and AxeFX but pretty sure you can select the outputs you want at any given time using output block maybe? This might only be possible witht the Axe III though, not sure. Someone else surely knows better. You'd likely have to setup a diferent scene or block scenario then swtich between the differnt outputs. - If not possible with the II it might still be doable via routing in the Axe where you'd essentially be using the FX send of the Axe and switching the signal path between the sends and main outs, or even a mono setup wehre you can pan left/right etc to get it done.

Reaction score
I have a few patches where I use Output 1 to my guitar cab and Output 2 to my studio monitors- a w/d/w patch. Sounds amazing.

Shask

Reaction score

I have a few patches where I use Output 1 to my guitar cab and Output 2 to my studio monitors- a w/d/w patch. Sounds amazing.

Yep, use Output 1 into the monitors and Output 2 into the amp. Set up a patch where you split the signal and then cab block to Output 1 (FX Loop Block), and EQ into Output 2.

')