Axe FX II - A New Era Begins

• Thread starter FrancescoFiligoi
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bey0ndreaz0n

Reaction score
Pm-ed I'm trying to figure this out for my self right now as well with my II using the USB connection.

Yep the picture simulclass83 posted is right. You're just telling the computer that you want to use the axe fx as your soundcard.

Then on the axe fx, the default setting is right, but if not just make sure it's: IO>MAIN INPUT SOURCE>ANALOG IN 1

This is telling the axe fx to process you're analog input (ie:your guitar, or whatever you have plugged in the back in INPUT 1), leaving the USB audio (sound from your pc) bypassing the axe fx grid processing. If this is set to USB then it will process audio from your computer instead, which you don't want...unless you're re-amping ofcourse!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kmanick

Contributor
Reaction score
yup looks like this will work out perfectly for how I want to use it.
Now to see if there is any difference when recording using the USB interface and when using an outside separate audio interface.
One of the reasons I really wan tto avoid uing the M-audio mobile Pre I have is that everytime I fire up Reaper I get this Errror
"Asio Error your sample rate is not suported by your current Asio Drivers") and I have to do a bunch of annoying little shit to get it to work.
The Axe II ASIO driver seems to behave a lot better.
Will be testing all options over the next several days. :shred:

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
I have just yesterday tried recording via AxeII USB as interface direct, and than the Axe II via XLR to the old audiointerface...the difference is less than one would expect, but big enough for me not to use another interface anymore. Seems like I finally oufnd a use for the Axe II...its staying in the recording rig. Live, I will stick to my amp.

bey0ndreaz0n

Reaction score
One of the reasons I really wan tto avoid uing the M-audio mobile Pre I have is that everytime I fire up Reaper I get this Errror
"Asio Error your sample rate is not suported by your current Asio Drivers") and I have to do a bunch of annoying little shit to get it to work.
The Axe II ASIO driver seems to behave a lot better.
Will be testing all options over the next several days. :shred:

Yep this is kind of where I'm at now. I use Cubase with a fireface 800, and all my projects are set to 44.1. As far as i can see the Axe 2 ASIO driver only supports 48khz, so I get the same error message as you when I switch to the Axe driver and load up an old project. It just means that if I want to track more guitars in these old projects I'm gonna have to convert everything to 48k.

I was thinking about trying out using just the Axe, to monitor and track with from now on, it's definately convenient being able to record the dry signal as well. Only little hitch is that the latency is pretty bad, which makes working with soft synths and superior drummer awful. I tried to take the buffer size down, only to 512 and it throws up an error message warning that it needs more bandwidth for streaming 48k. I'm gonna give it a go though and see how it behaves, although I'll be expecting some pops and clicks maybe.
If it doesn't work so well (as a main soundcard) then may have to switch back to the fireface after tracking.:lol:

Have also tried re-amping, but not through USB. Reason being I wanted to have Cubase playing on a loop, and hear the main track unprocessed, and with my dry guitar being re-amped at the same time, so I could tweak the patch to fit the exisiting mix. But seen as you only have one set of inputs into the Axe via USB, everything from Cubase would be re-amped. I supose maybe you could experiment with panning the mix the left and the dry guitar to the right.......
In the end I just decided to go old school (analog) to keep it simple and just used one of the fireface outs for the dry guitar and used the main outs of the axe for the re-amp, worked great!

Has anyone ever had their computer lock up while having their sequencer open and using Axe Edit at the same time?

Andromalia

Pardon my french
Reaction score
New wave incoming for Europe and I happen to be in it. \o/
FYI I ordered something like 2 or 3 days after the annoucement.

spattergrind

Reaction score
Just got my coupon!!! STOKED. Going to order after class haha.
Just ordered some Yamaha HS50m's for mixing and now this. Shit, I'm going to be broke for awhile.

MetalThrasher

Thrash & Burn
Reaction score
I just put my name on the waiting list today. How long will it take before I get the coupon to order one? Also, I have a question about what to use to power it. I was planning on just getting a PA speaker for it. I would like to have a good amount of power to keep up with a loud drummer but then be able to play it late nights at a reasonable level. I have heard that the Mackie 1221 I believe was the ticket. I don't mind getting one but they are $800 and I don't gig or anything. Can I get a decent pa for $400 or less. What do you recommend? Just keep in mind that I like having a good sound and it needs to keep up with my loud drummer in the mix.

mikemueller2112

Reaction score
I just put my name on the waiting list today. How long will it take before I get the coupon to order one? Also, I have a question about what to use to power it. I was planning on just getting a PA speaker for it. I would like to have a good amount of power to keep up with a loud drummer but then be able to play it late nights at a reasonable level. I have heard that the Mackie 1221 I believe was the ticket. I don't mind getting one but they are $800 and I don't gig or anything. Can I get a decent pa for $400 or less. What do you recommend? Just keep in mind that I like having a good sound and it needs to keep up with my loud drummer in the mix.

Well do you have a speaker cab already? An alternative would be to get a power amp (solid state or tube) and run it through the guitar speakers. The appeal of the Mackies and other FRFR (Full Range Flat Response) is that you can get the most of the Axe-Fx that way (ie, power amp, cab sims) as you don't have to worry about the "colour" of the power amp you're using or the speakers in your guitar cab. That, and they are much more portable.

Metalus

JP BFR Whore
Reaction score
I put my name on the waiting list a few days ago as well. Anybody have any idea how long the wait usually is?

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
I got on the EU waiting list last October, heard nothing, was told 4 months... (I bought another one already haha)

My friend got on the US waiting list in december and his coupon came through last week.

Most irritating.

')