Axe-fx out of stock

• Thread starter metalheadpunk
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

biggness

Contributor
Reaction score

Sippin40oz

Reaction score
How much of "feel" can be fixed with better front end/converters? - The Gear Page

You can find some of what he talks about in that thread. His username is cliffc8488. There is another thread where he talks some more about it, so let me see if I can dig it up. :yesway:

Very interesting link! But i dont know seems a bit strange to say a cpu built by a small player released pre 2007 is faster then a core i7 designed by intel. I mean think of the billions of dollars poured into R&D by intel surely that would make a massive difference? Obviously there are also many other competitors like ARM and VIA that design faster cpus in many different flavours that could also be used in place of the current chip.

If you look at the product discription of the Tigersharc its not even designed specificly as an audio chip:

Product Description

The ADSP-TS201S is one of the members of the TigerSHARC Processor family. Targeted at numerous signal processing applications that rely on multiple processors working together to execute computationally-intensive real-time functions, ADI's TigerSHARC Processor is well-suited to video and communication markets, including the 3G cellular and broadband wireless base stations, as well as defense, medical imaging, industrial instrumentation.

I think if the axe fx software was designed from the ground up on a optimised PC type platform then it would have to be faster surely? Cliff at Axe Fx is not exactly going to say his premium guitar processor isnt as fast as a cheaper PC equivalent is he?!

Dont get me wrong this isnt a dig at the Axe FX as i would happily take one of those bad boys of anyone that wants to give me one!! I just think the magic is in the software not in the over priced hardware.

PC based effects are not new either check out muse research

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Very interesting link! But i dont know seems a bit strange to say a cpu built by a small player released pre 2007 is faster then a core i7 designed by intel. I mean think of the billions of dollars poured into R&D by intel surely that would make a massive difference? Obviously there are also many other competitors like ARM and VIA that design faster cpus in many different flavours that could also be used in place of the current chip.

If you look at the product discription of the Tigersharc its not even designed specificly as an audio chip:

I think if the axe fx software was designed from the ground up on a optimised PC type platform then it would have to be faster surely? Cliff at Axe Fx is not exactly going to say his premium guitar processor isnt as fast as a cheaper PC equivalent is he?!

Dont get me wrong this isnt a dig at the Axe FX as i would happily take one of those bad boys of anyone that wants to give me one!! I just think the magic is in the software not in the over priced hardware.

PC based effects are not new either check out muse research

Yes it is faster and no it wouldn't be faster on a PC. Read a bit on computer engineering and software engineering. Specialized hardware will pretty much ALWAYS be faster than general purpose hardware. It's the whole reason specialized hardware exists for signal processing. It's why you have a graphics card in your computer instead of the CPU just doing the processing. The OS itself is a HUGE bottleneck on PC style hardware, and the entire system is not designed for realtime data crunching.

Zehailiu

Reaction score
gaming consoles are another example I think, their raw specs can't compare to current PCs but they sure perform.

Taylor2

Do you even lift
Reaction score
So I tried adding it to the cart today for shits.....
And it worked.

So I ordered one.
Hopefully it wasn't a screw up and they do indeed have more.

QuambaFu

Reaction score
gaming consoles are another example I think, their raw specs can't compare to current PCs but they sure perform.

Excellent comparison.

I am guessing that the processor in the AXE is RISC(reduced instruction set computing) based too. The article below describes the differences between risc and cisc based processors. At identical clock speeds RISC almost always wins at specific tasks. CISC wins at versatility and ease of software development.

Lloyd Borrett - Computing - Articles - RISC vs CISC

Sippin40oz

Reaction score
Yes it is faster and no it wouldn't be faster on a PC. Read a bit on computer engineering and software engineering. Specialized hardware will pretty much ALWAYS be faster than general purpose hardware. It's the whole reason specialized hardware exists for signal processing. It's why you have a graphics card in your computer instead of the CPU just doing the processing. The OS itself is a HUGE bottleneck on PC style hardware, and the entire system is not designed for realtime data crunching.

Well it ISNT faster even cliff said a core i7 is about the same as an ultra:

We've ported the Axe-Fx code to the Intel x86 architecture and on my 2.66 GHz Core i7 (quad core) machine the CPU usage is nearly identical to an Ultra.

How much of "feel" can be fixed with better front end/converters? - The Gear Page

And bare in mind that a ported program is never as efficient as the original program as its not optimised to run on that platform. So a native x86 version would certainly be a tad quicker on a 2.66 i7. Then you have to take into account that the axe fx is built on a 2 thread cpu, so if a higher clock rate dual core was used like a Intel i5 680 (3.6ghz) instead of the lower clocked i7 then you would also get better performance. also you have the issue of not knowing what other hardware was used to compair the axe fx ported pc version to the axe fx ultra. SSDs, RAM and Audio cars/ usb devices all make a difference to the speed.

specialized hardware is DEFINITELY more efficient at using its power but doesnt necessarly mean its going to be faster!

Anyone thats played a high spec gaming pc can tell you that consols are not anywhere near as good! Defintely good graphics on consols but once you start putting them against top PC set ups they pale in comparison!

Zehailiu

Reaction score
I would expect a console vs a pc with similar processor clock rates and ram sizes would perform much better.

nojyeloot

Reaction score
[/QUOTE] The foot controller just finally released a couple of weeks ago.[/QUOTE]

I've looked for it, can't find it. Link me pls?

TreWatson

A HUGE FREAKING WEEABOO
Reaction score
I'll never afford one so i don't care :wavey:

but good luck getting your purchases dudes! :)

nojyeloot

Reaction score
i know right! is this significantly better than the voodoo labs gcp? or is there just a premium for the fractal name?

Honestly don't know. I hear great reviews over the GCP. In fact, ironically enough, not 10 mins ago my buddy Shane from Oh Sleeper just told me he got his AxeFX in the mail and he got a GCP for it. I'm going to nag him to get together so I can check it out.

technomancer

Gearus Pimptasticus
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well it ISNT faster even cliff said a core i7 is about the same as an ultra:

Which clock for clock would make the Ultra hardware faster, no? 600MHz machine tying a 2400MHz machine would seem to indicate to me that the 600MHz system is faster at the given task :shrug:

Also they're doing a software version as a VST / AU so you'll be able to run it on your computer if that's what you want.

')