Axe Fx ULTRA/2?

Chazax123

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a noobie on here but i figured id ask everybody's opinion on this subject. This is more of a personal question tbh but I'm loving the axe fx right now and I'm certain to purchase one. however i don't have steady income the price of the 2 will no doubt take me a very long time to save for, i am also naturally an inpatient person haha. the way my opinion stands currently is the ultra looks like one hell of a capable machine and the differences between the two products is mainly power for future devs and im not sure that is worth an extra £1,000 GBP.

To save or not to save, that is my question.

p.s. My friend here made this tone match by ear on a standard AXE;
https://soundcloud.com/jason_sansburn/tone-test-intervals-mata-hari

thanks for every opinion, i mainly want to use this unit in a recording situation and buying the ultra would mean i would also require an interface but it's still a big money difference.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
The Axe-Fx Ultra is still an amazing unit capable of great tones so I'd recommend it. The Axe-2 is a big step-up but it doesn't mean the Ultra/standard sound bad now which is a really stupid misconception spread around since the 2's release. The is more user friendly though with built in USB interface, more cab slots, more in-depth tweaking and Axe-edit.

You should be able to get a second hand II in England for a good price. Just keep your eye out on ebay, gumtree and UK gear ad Facebook pages.

Chazax123

Reaction score
It was my understanding that the axe ultra and standard could connect to axe edit through a MIDI cable? the going value online "buy now" is roughly £900 for the ultra and £1,700 for a 2. I'm reckoning that i will be able to nab a tasty deal on an ultra for around £700 possibly

Im not fully convinced that the upgrade is a worthwhile one. and if you can connect it to axe edit what can you tweak on the 2 that you cant on the ultra??

Thanks for your help!

Lorcan Ward

7slinger
Reaction score
You should be able to find a II for £1,500 - £1,550 if you search hard enough.

Whoops, was rushing to write that before I got back to work. What I meant to say is built-in USB interacts with Axe-edit so you don't need a Midi-USB adapter aswell. They are little upgrades that just make it easier for you.

lewstherin006

Reaction score
Def save and get the II, you wont regret it. The II is constantly getting updating and recording over USB is awesome. Trust me its worth the wait. I had a standard and sold it to get the 2.

Chazax123

Reaction score
so the ultra has stopped being updated?? i'm still unconvinced, an external usb sound interface would set me back £50. I've just been seeing people using getting tones just like the two from the ultra, like Richie Allan and Modern Day Babylon.

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
If a II is what you really want, then work toward that. However, the Ultra is still an amazing piece of hardware. It's still the best thing out there aside from the II. And no, there won't be any more updates. The hardware is pretty much maxed out, which is why the II exists in the first place.

Chazax123

Reaction score
Thanks, Yeah. I talked to a guy who was in my exact situation and he convinced me that i am better off saving for the 2, the advantages of saving are plenty it is now just a test of will power and playing the waiting game.

')